Gaia Online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaia Online?

I just ran into a huge forum with 191m posts. Im not in the mood to create an avatar, anyone has any experience with it? Whats so hot about it?

http://www.gaiaonline.com
    Last edited by Dream; Sat 11th Jun '05, 2:16am.
    Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Originally posted by Dream
    I just ran into a huge forum with 191m posts. Im not in the mood to create an avatar, anyone has any experience with it? Whats so hot about it?

http://www.gaiaonline.com
    Just a rpg community with a lot of custom work done, some of his hacks are very nice.

Sometimes you will see phpbb users throw that url around trying to prove how far phpbb will scale, most of the time they forget to mention that that site is running on a large number of servers (forget how many but trust me it is insane ) and the code is so hacked the owners says it is not even phpbb anymore.

It is very impressive and the activity/member count shows it.

Comment

gaiaonline has 44+ dedicated dual xeon and dual amd64 opteron servers powering their forums with i think 2 or 3 hardware load balancers and 1 to 3 dedicated memcached servers with gigs of ram to load some of their database table data into memory to prevent table locking etc.

I did mention this forum and the use of memcache to our fellow vB developer, Scott about allowing vB to take advantage of memcached options provided the vB forum owner has the $$$ and hardware to support it heh.
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Holy crap, 44+ dedicated servers for a forum?! Well, it is the biggest board listed on big-boards.com...
        Let the flames begin.

Comment

last count i did was 44+ and that was 12+ months ago.. the admin/owner is always adding and replacing new servers i can't keep up hehe
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

If I read this Article correctly, they have at least 54 servers running their site. This includes 30 webservers, 10 image servers and 11 database servers.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

actually they currently run on 80+ servers
              Originally Posted by Zachery
              John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
              We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

That is one impressive forum!

Comment

Originally posted by _| () R | Z
                  actually they currently run on 80+ servers
                  Source?

Comment

Originally posted by Mijae
                    Source?
                    http://www.big-boards.com/servers.php

"80+ web servers, 11 database servers (4 dedicated to forums), 3 session database servers, 1 memory cache server"
                    Originally Posted by Zachery
                    John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
                    We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

"80+ web servers, 11 database servers (4 dedicated to forums), 3 session database servers, 1 memory cache server"
                      Thanks, nice read

Comment

woah admining 80+ servers

Comment

It's a phpBB, so who cares, plus this type of stuff isn't my cup of tea.

Comment

How on earth can a forum be profitable with 80+ dedicated servers... and whatsort of costs are we talking about here. A typical dedictaed server comes in at $250 plus per month... maybe they have significant discount en masse but even at $100 per month that still comes in a a whopping $8,000 per month.

Even with that number of members how on earth do they stay afloat... or is the owner a self made millionaire..
                            John

Comment

Maybe they own a datacenter ? Got a "few" extra servers laying around. I dunno. They are doing it, or they wouldn't be online. But I"m sure they must get donations.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X