X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Kathy
    If it had sound I would have fallen off my chair. The other old jokes....creeped me out. This one made me laugh...without sound. I liked this one better.
    Heh.. I just wanted to test how well a gif could mimic a post and catch someone off-guard. I can see there may be problems with aliasing/font-smoothing depending on which OS people are using, but for a quick, off-the-cuff joke I think it's kinda fun.

Thanks, everyone, for your input and suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• Kathy
    replied
    If it had sound I would have fallen off my chair. The other old jokes....creeped me out. This one made me laugh...without sound. I liked this one better.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by eXaulz
    What I meant was to change the font color from blue to balck. Usually, people post in black. >.<
    Yeah, but at the time I was using aliasing and it was too obvious with black.

I smacked my head, and just did a screenshot of a dummy post. That fixes it, except for some OS-based anti-aliasing that I'll have to work around.

Thx guys, it looks better now.

Leave a comment:

• eXaulz
    replied
    Originally posted by Arkham
    A longer duration looked kinda dumb, I tried a variety of timings. Re: sound, I can't use sound in a .gif. I just wanted something short and sharp (and universal). Otherwise I'd have gone with Flash.

Again, font is the same as the default vB, at least on my display. I guess you people don't have any font smoothing on. But I'll try aliased text next.

Thanks.
    What I meant was to change the font color from blue to balck. Usually, people post in black. >.<

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    That wouldn't bother me at all, its an old trick, and with no sound its self defeating.
    Well DUH I know it's old, but replacing the forum text with an img will still catch some people off guard.

Be thankful I didn't use any of the previous pictures these gags have used over the years. Heh. (And on a site dedicated to horror fiction, I doubt I'd be able to easily "bother" anyone, so it's really just for fun.)

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    That wouldn't bother me at all, its an old trick, and with no sound its self defeating.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Pretty nice.. but make the face show for longer, for about 3 or 4 seconds, and try to add sound.
    A longer duration looked kinda dumb, I tried a variety of timings. Re: sound, I can't use sound in a .gif. I just wanted something short and sharp (and universal). Otherwise I'd have gone with Flash.

Also, change the font -- it looks too much like an image.
    Again, font is the same as the default vB, at least on my display. I guess you people don't have any font smoothing on. But I'll try aliased text next.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C
    Hehe that's quite funny. Remove all anti-aliasing effects on the font and make it a more standard font like the one I'm typing in now
    That text looks almost identical to how it looks on my display (font smoothing). I added some light anti-aliasing b/c in the assumption that the users have Standard/ClearType smoothing. I didn't like the way the unaliased text looked in PhotoShop, but I'll try a version that way.

Thx for the input.

BTW, I used that fugly Verdana font b/c that's the default here on vB, in the style I'm using, anyway. It's almost identical to the text below the image, here.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Hehe that's quite funny. Remove all anti-aliasing effects on the font and make it a more standard font like the one I'm typing in now

Leave a comment:

• eXaulz
    replied
    Pretty nice.. but make the face show for longer, for about 3 or 4 seconds, and try to add sound.

Also, change the font -- it looks too much like an image.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Hmmm.. Now it's flashing on load... Gotta try to fix that. Maybe because it was cached...

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    started a topic Help me play a trick on my users...

Help me play a trick on my users...

(Heh... Any comments ie. dimensions, fonts, load times? )
    Edit: Added new one
    Last edited by Arkham; Wed 8 Jun '05, 10:42am.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X