AJAX - Overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJAX - Overrated?

First of all, Google hasn't even coined the technology as AJAX; AJAX was a term coined by Adaptive for "Asynchronous Javascript with XML" or something along those lines, but Google merely refers to its style as "JavaScript", which, is what it basically is.

Native support for HttpRequests was not available in browsers other than Internet Explorer but with the major browsers today now supporting the function, well, it's starting a new wave in the way we look at web applications.

Admittedly, 'AJAX' isn't anything new, in fact, the general software engineering philosophy surrounding the concept of 'AJAX' is one that's been around for several years. If you've ever played a video game, that stuff is all live, centered around a main loop, and whatnot.

It's just that HttpRequest functionality in BROWSERS hasn't been available yet. Now, that it is, however, it may transform the way we look at web applications forever.

I don't want to call it AJAX, because it's ridiculous; I've coded like this before. All it is, is JavaScript HttpRequests. Not BLAH BLAH SOAP MODEL CSS XML XUL CSS DOM JAVASCRIPT ASYNCHRONOUS LET'S FILL IT WITH A BUNCH OF TECHNICAL JARGON TO MAKE IT SOUND COOLER WHEN ALL IT IS, IS A SIMPLE FREAKING HTTP REQUEST.

So yeah. I think it's friggin' awesome. It makes me orgasm to think of all the new and cool possibilities for web apps that can be done now. It will revolutionize my code for years to come.

But honestly, all of this is AJAX crap is overrated.

It's just a new toy for programmers to play with

DUDE I ACCIDENTALLY DOUBLE CLICKED MY POST AND I CAN EDIT IT COOL >.>

It's not AJAX that's awesome, it's what we programmers do with it!

It may be overrated, but its causing a stir in the industry, so why not? I see no problem with it being "overrated"... it works, its cool, its "new" so let people call it whatever they want

MGM out

Comment

AJAX = Overrated.
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ajax_chat_room
        AJAX is teh 1337!1!!!1!
        I'm interested in AJAX, nothing more
        Young Computer Programmers Forum

Comment

It's a bandwidth-saving feature, but requires client-side support which I don't like. I still am old-school in thinking everything should be done with normal markup and HTTP protocols, no Javascript.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

While the term AJAX may be trendy and cool right now, it is the underlying technology that is going to change the way things are done on the Internet. In the next few years this will also evolve and allow for XML based applications to proliferate.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I love AJAX, I love what it can do for the end-user on webpages. But I honestly don't believe it'll stay for years to come. Something else will come along and do something better. That's how the web evolves.
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Its simply an important step in web sites becoming web apps, the reason progress down this path has been so slow is due to the lack of innovation over the last few years in browsers; however that is something that is changing; we now have 4 mainstream browsers compared with only 1 a year or two ago so new technologies are going to be implemented, and for firefox/opera/safari etc providing the tools to enable web apps to work well is in their interest, as opposed to microsoft where it is not.
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk
                DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                  I love AJAX, I love what it can do for the end-user on webpages. But I honestly don't believe it'll stay for years to come. Something else will come along and do something better. That's how the web evolves.
                  Yeah.. It is in Windows Longhorn and is called XAML. I am sure other browser/OS vendors are working on their own versions of this.

http://www.xaml.net/

Other vendors will follow just as they followed Microsoft in supporting the XMLHTTPRequest Object.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I do not see it as a hype you have to follow or something that is overrated or not. I see it as a new thing that can be implemented and supported by quite a few browsers and operating systems and make managing a site or using a site a lot easier, dynamic content can be used in different ways and speed up moderation tasks for example or help fix quick errors. I can see editors surf to sites on slashdot and double click to fix typos'. without having to login to a seperate backend and go through bunch of pages.

Comment

Has the following topic been broached:

How will AJAX affect those relying on advertising revenue based on CPM in their sites? At all?

Cheers,

~Regs.

Comment

Originally posted by Regs
                        Has the following topic been broached:

How will AJAX affect those relying on advertising revenue based on CPM in their sites? At all?

Cheers,

~Regs.
                        Why would it have any impact? It doesn't effect the placement or viewing of elements on a page.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Does it not affect page impressions?

Comment

Really depends on how it is used.

Wayne Luke

Comment

OK, let me be more specific.

Using vBulletin software in the future, how much of an impact will the AJAX features built-in have on page impressions? Would a 10% decrease happen? 20%? 5%?

I'm trying to get a handle for what kind of impact AJAX will have on CPM advertising revenue. If I'm mis-understanding the technology, please edumacate me!

Cheers,

~Regs.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X