How to slow down a "overposter" ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to slow down a "overposter" ???

Got someone on the forum who's trying to "work his way up" in a manner that's starting to piss people off.

He replies to about every single post, about any subject thinkable eventhough sometimes he knows nothing about it and really has nothing to say.

Now before I kick his butt directly, I'd like to hear ideas from other people here about this. What other things can be done to put the brakes on him? Can I set the minimum time between posts for this person on 6 hours for example, LOL! Is there a way to very discretely fake an error in his account

How to deal with this? I'm sure some of you have experience with these kinds of things...

Set a limit on max. posts per day (don't know if it's possible, guess not but who knows)

Comment

It's been my experience that overposters tend to annoy everyone, and eventually someone snaps out at them. That's when you can really see if they're worth having around. If they have a temper-tantrum and start flaming everyone, you have every right to boot them. If they wise up and fly straight -- problem solved.

Comment

You could just ask him to stop.

And if that doesnt work, threaten to find out where he lives and batter him with a big sharp stick.

Works for me.

Comment

PHP Code:
          // If the user has less than 30 posts only 1 post per 2 hours
          if ($bbuserinfo[usergroupid] == 2) {
          if (
          $bbuserinfo[posts] < 10)
              {

$two_hours_ago time()- (60*60)*2;
                  if (
          $bbuserinfo[lastpost] > $two_hours_ago)
                          {
                          eval(
          "standarderror(\"".gettemplate("error_throttle")."\");");
                          exit;
                          }

}

if (
          $bbuserinfo[posts] < 50)
              {

$two_hours_ago time()- (60*15);
                  if (
          $bbuserinfo[lastpost] > $two_hours_ago)
                          {
                          eval(
          "standarderror(\"".gettemplate("error_throttle")."\");");
                          exit;
                          }

}

Something I threw into newthread.php near the begining.

Comment

Lorina is correct. If you have a good community, usually they will step in and do the policing on this sort of situation for you. We have had it happen recently a couple of time on SitePoint forums and if you look carefully you can see it here as well.

Once the community starts policing itself, then you can step in and contact the member and say "hey we like having you around but try doing it this way instead of that. If you are interested in a subject, but know it yet then read an learn, don't post nonsense."

Then you will find that many times people will post 1 word posts or simple posts with smiley faces only just so they can get email notification. They don't know that in vB 2 (you might be on 1.1.X still, I don't know) that you can click a simple link and get that without replying.

If your community hasn't grown to be self-policing then you have to take on this dirty chore before it gets out of hand and creates a precedent.

Imposing a post limit and doing this automatically could end up driving away some new members with the highest potential. I know if I had some restriction like that put on me simply because I was new, I would be looking for the next community out there. And unless you have a community dedicated to "Animal husbandry in the near-zero gravity of the moon" then you have competition.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

[Off topic]
              I have been wondeirng ..this for sometime.
              Does wluke ever tell joke?
              He's always been serious on every single topic.
              Oh! I can't live like that.. just my opinion.
              [/offtopic]

Comment

Originally posted by Pingu
                Got someone on the forum who's trying to "work his way up" in a manner that's starting to piss people off.

He replies to about every single post, about any subject thinkable eventhough sometimes he knows nothing about it and really has nothing to say.
                I've noticed a few of them on these boards aswell
                http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

Originally posted by Pingu
                  I have one member who does that on my forum

Comment

i was gonna take that hack code and use it until i read wayne's post

maybe you should have this set into a usergroup privilege... so when you see a member doing this you put them in a new group with post time restrictions

i had a dozen or so members like this and some do become valued members eventually but some don't seem to want to change
                    Last edited by George L; Mon 16 Apr '01, 9:24am.
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by klisis
                      [Off topic]
                      I have been wondeirng ..this for sometime.
                      Does wluke ever tell joke?
                      He's always been serious on every single topic.
                      Oh! I can't live like that.. just my opinion.
                      [/offtopic]
                      On occasion. My humor probably wouldn't be the best suited for this board. There are children around you know.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
                        On occasion. My humor probably wouldn't be the best suited for this board. There are children around you know.
                        LOL, cute Wayne

Believe me, he very much DOES have a sense of humor. He's just on his best behavior on here! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Me2Be
                          LOL, cute Wayne

Believe me, he very much DOES have a sense of humor. He's just on his best behavior on here! LOL
                          ain't we all
                          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I have a reputation to live up to. Many of my members think I am a highly efficient bot run by the server...

Just do a search at SPF.

Seriously I do have a sense of humor. It only gets let out once in a while though because then people want to know what I did with "Wayne".

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
                              I have a reputation to live up to. Many of my members think I am a highly efficient bot run by the server...

Just do a search at SPF.

Seriously I do have a sense of humor. It only gets let out once in a while though because then people want to know what I did with "Wayne".
                              hehe sounds just like me .. but i am well behaved on all the forums i frequent

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X