Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true vBulletin is the world's most popular BBS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission & Refund?

It is my understanding exballs used to have vB. He was given a refund & yet permission to member chat areas is still allowed.

If this is true, it seems unfair to me. If it is not true, then correct me.

Comment

Nope, no ban if you mean eXaulz ?
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Is vBulletin the most popular BBS? I'm not sure...

but the more IMPORTANT question is how many members of Jelsoft are part of the "illuminati"???

* quick honey, hand me the aluminum foil, they're scanning my brain again!!! *

Comment

Sorry typo, that was who I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
            What's wrong with the code? Since you must be a professional programmer yourself why not give some specific examples of "sloppy programming"? I'm interested to learn from you as you are obviously a superior programmer. And I'm not being sarcastic - I want to know what you mean.
            *sigh* You guys make such a fuss for a damn opinion. I'm not going to view this thread anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by eXaulz
              *sigh* You guys make such a fuss for a damn opinion. I'm not going to view this thread anymore.
              eXaulz, if you made that "opinion" in IPS community they would have banned you instantly then a email saying "I highly suggest you fade away".

I mean, vbulletin developers work hard to fix bugs and work on the features the customers claim.

I think phpBB is the most popular. End of opinion.

Comment

its no different than running a website.. anyone can build a website, just like anyone can code a forum with some experience.. but getting people to visit a website is another story..

as for the code structure of vb.. yes, vb2.x is/was messy.. i dont know why it took so long for them to 'clean it' .. but even after that, vb3 is still somewhat messy. there is a lot of 'extra' un-needed code/functions.. look at the search script in vb3.. amost 4,000 lines of code just to search a table.. and it doesn't even work right .. it'll cripple your server if you have 'too many posts' when it is used. so i disabled it and created my own search app with the correct way to utilize fulltext and boolean searches.. now my members are actually able to search without taking my server offline.

these are my opinion and i didn't just started coding in php last night.
                Last edited by sebe; Mon 6th Jun '05, 9:46pm.

Comment

When you post on a forum, you always will get people that disagree with you. And I hate it how you are saying that vbulletin has sloppy code, with no examples or any proof to back you up.

Comment

Originally posted by bfoot045
                    When you post on a forum, you always will get people that disagree with you. And I hate it how you are saying that vbulletin has sloppy code, with no examples or any proof to back you up.
                    Let me just say one thing...

I never said that I think vBulletin has sloppy code, but that others think that vBulletin has sloppy code.

Comment

I turned to vBulletin 2 years because it offered:

1. Indexable Search Engine friendly pages by default
                      2. The WYSIWYG toolbar

I do also like SMF, simply for it's simplicity and ease of use - but vB3 is a very powerful machine, and it's obvious to most vB users as to why it's popular for many different reasons.

Also - decent security - I have *never* seen a vB hacked via an exploit. I can't begin to count the number of hacked phpbb's I've seen - even one's up to date on patches.

Comment

Let me just say one thing...

I never said that I think vBulletin has sloppy code, but that others think that vBulletin has sloppy code.
                        Only believe what you self know...

But to get back on topic,

i started using vb 1.3 when i still used ubb, and the lousy performance of ubb made me switch. I believe their succes came that they where one of the first, used many new techniques and features, like they still do now.
                        And when you use it for what it is designed, it works great. Why others arn't so big as vbulletin? I guess vbulletin has made a name, and others have had some negative publicity (phpBB worm).

I would say, keep up the great work, don't worry about the competition.
                        Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

I believe vB came to gain such stronghold due to its customizability in v2.
                          With version 2, I was doing stuff that a group of 10 developers, 3 months and a $10,000 couldn't do. (If you are curious, PRIV.MSG me).

The reason for this, vB2 was coded in a way to be understandable to modify. Back in the day, I used to have alot of clients that came to me from e-commerce solutions to advanced customer management, link management, gallery communities (as I sort of worked as a consultant part-time under my father's company). I directly hooked them up with vBulletin and a vbulletin developer and they got what they needed.

I have to admit vB2 coding was a bit sloppy, but I am really impressed with vB3. I am a bit shy to say that I havn't actually become comfortable with the drastic change in coding, and the new template system (possibly cause I havn't spent enough time with it), regardless I am very impressed with the developers here. They have my highest regards in all their ventures. The team has been there every step of the way. The support is unbeatable (one of the primary reason for vBulletin's success), the development team touches base with it's members alot and are connected to their members in a way that they know and understand the needs. I have had the pleasure to associating with them alot last year and the 2 years before that. I am just sad that I havn't continued it (I am not a current customer anymore, sold all the forums to focus on some stuff with life -- before you go assuming I left cause vBulletin was bad) hopefully at a later point I can get reacuainted with the vB Staff and the great vB.org staff that I have also had a chance to interact with.

I could go on with an actual history than my own experience, but I don't want to cry right now.

Regards,

Additional Note: I think vB2, in my opinion, sort of standardized what we know as a forum these days.

Comment

Why is vBulletin on top?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ghlight=ubb#30

Should answer your question. When vB was a little lad, UBB was the big boy on the block. Didnt take very long for them to get knocked down to size - God that search was slow (is slow on forums that still use that)

I supposed that if I screw up installing vBulletin these days, John wouldnt fix it for me this time huh

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan
                              Additional Note: I think vB2, in my opinion, sort of standardized what we know as a forum these days.

Honeslty - no - as much as I never liked UBB - they still get the credit for that. Heck, vBulletin started life as a UBB hack.

Comment

Originally posted by Zecherieh
                                Honeslty - no - as much as I never liked UBB - they still get the credit for that. Heck, vBulletin started life as a UBB hack.
                                Miswording on my part. I was a UBB user before I came over to vBulletin.
                                I have to say that vBulletin 2.x sort of set the standards for the featureset of the default forum today. As alot of what was in vB2.x was alot of the hacks for UBB put into works as a default setting.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X