Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it true vBulletin is the world's most popular BBS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 14 when I purchased my vBulletin and I believe the most money I was given -- without doing any work or chores for -- was $20.

So I worked for $160 for the license and $80 for a host in about a month, at age 14.

Comment

This graph doesn't list IPB, which I'd say is a rather big player in the BBS market as well...
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
        This graph doesn't list IPB, which I'd say is a rather big player in the BBS market as well...
        Hehe... it does Colin.... "Invision"

PS: been trying to get you via normal route...
        John

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_i_BILL

I also believe in your free speach, but to come to vB & say they are less than the best is quite rude.

I too tossed in 2 cents
          I have a license, buddy...

(In a way, as I explained in the PM! :P)
          Last edited by eXaulz; Mon 6th Jun '05, 11:40am.

Comment

A design is an opinion, as actually the graphics are quite professional and complete. No missing images and consistent design. The colors might just not be to your taste or the way a button looks. And yes, they can indeed be changed. vBulletin is coded in such a way it is a minute job to place them .. probably even faster.

As for the comment on the source code being horrible, I disagree. It is coded by professional developers and mostly commented and easy to overview syntax which is done in a consitent way (you can't even tell which developer made what part). Compared to various other php programs, it is done great. And it is coded in a way that it is well balanced for small to big, big web sites.

Yes, they are your oppinion, but to me they are just rants as I don't see any arguments.

The question was more how vBulletin became the current marketleader, not what your personal opinion is. (but that is just nitpicking right)

Comment

IMHO, they became a market leader for not only providing a stable and robust forum system, but also by being consistant in policy and pricing. You know what you will get, and how much it will cost. Nothing hidden.

Comment

Originally posted by sb-host
                IMHO, they became a market leader for not only providing a stable and robust forum system, but also by being consistant in policy and pricing. You know what you will get, and how much it will cost. Nothing hidden.
                except the ninja development team

Comment

Originally posted by fire27
                  except the ninja development team
                  Yeah, well.... not sure what to say about "them". I hear they wear skirts..... and use Macs, so who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                    A design is an opinion, as actually the graphics are quite professional and complete. No missing images and consistent design. The colors might just not be to your taste or the way a button looks. And yes, they can indeed be changed. vBulletin is coded in such a way it is a minute job to place them .. probably even faster.

As for the comment on the source code being horrible, I disagree. It is coded by professional developers and mostly commented and easy to overview syntax which is done in a consitent way (you can't even tell which developer made what part). Compared to various other php programs, it is done great. And it is coded in a way that it is well balanced for small to big, big web sites.

Yes, they are your oppinion, but to me they are just rants as I don't see any arguments.

The question was more how vBulletin became the current marketleader, not what your personal opinion is. (but that is just nitpicking right)
                    Actually, Floris, vBulletin is developed by Professional Programmers, but, it's alittle bit sloppy. Usually, that reason applies to vB2.

Yes, you are correct, it is very well-balanced, whenever I suggest someone vBulletin they "Ugh! No Wway! Have you seen the code?". I suualyl reply with "The coding doesn't really bother me, if it works fine, great. If the coding affects the program, whcih in this case it doesn't, then, who cares, honestly?".

I never wanted to start an argument...

Comment

No matter how vBulletin 2 was (and no, in my opinion it wasn't bad ), vBulletin 3 is coded very well. You can easily see standards that are consistent throughout the whole code and (I'm sure only some) are documented in the vBulletin Documentation. Compared with other visual or open source software I've seen, vBulletin is extraordinary.
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sb-host
                        I hear they wear skirts..... and use Macs, so who knows.
                        Hey now! Not all mac users wear skirts. I like wearing capris....

vBulletin became the most used BB software because they offer a solid solution, providing absolutely the best support with their licensing. So while it is not free...you do get what you pay for.

The pricing for vb is moderate IMO. Its not too expensive but does insure that support can be offered to the license holder...and for a fair price.

On top of that, vbulletin license holders are the nicest folks on the net. They are helpful and able to lend a hand to the forum newby admin.
                        Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

Originally posted by eXaulz
                          Actually, Floris, vBulletin is developed by Professional Programmers, but, it's alittle bit sloppy. Usually, that reason applies to vB2.

Yes, you are correct, it is very well-balanced, whenever I suggest someone vBulletin they "Ugh! No Wway! Have you seen the code?". I suualyl reply with "The coding doesn't really bother me, if it works fine, great. If the coding affects the program, whcih in this case it doesn't, then, who cares, honestly?".

Version 2 isn't being developed anymore, I am talking about the current version 3.x

Comment

vBulletin IMO is successful because they offer great support and have a great product.
                            That is only part of the reason. The other part is word of mouth advertising. Bad or Good word of mouth will make you or break you.

Because vB is indeed good, stable software people spoke highly of it and word of mouth made them (or greatly helped make them). If the forum software was horrible they would not be the success they are today.
                            Bob- (pank)
                            pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

Originally posted by eXaulz

What's wrong with the code? Since you must be a professional programmer yourself why not give some specific examples of "sloppy programming"? I'm interested to learn from you as you are obviously a superior programmer. And I'm not being sarcastic - I want to know what you mean.

Comment

I know the graph only counts self-hosted solutions, but ezboard also holds a huge chunk of the market...at alexa they're around 200 in ranking.
                                Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X