No announcement yet.

9000 forums virtually wiped out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**** happens, i bet they have backup... so it can't be that much of a problem.
    My site
    www.coolservice.dk

Comment

Yes of course ezboard had backups ... except that the 'backups' were stored on the network, so the alleged hacker wiped them out too.

Not my definition of a backup...
      --
      Richard Morris

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBlue

Yes of course ezboard had backups ... except that the 'backups' were stored on the network, so the alleged hacker wiped them out too.

Not my definition of a backup...
        haha... that's just plain stupid...

i can't believe that. How will they restore the boards then?
        My site
        www.coolservice.dk

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer81
          haha... that's just plain stupid...

i can't believe that. How will they restore the boards then?
          Well, from the looks of it, they can't -- unless they have some old backups that weren't kept on the network.
          Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

I heard that they restored what off site backups they did have (not many it seems) and they actually tried to retrieve as much as possible from the RAM and swap on each server. Ingenous method but a pita.
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

I actually like the whole idea behind ezboard from day 1 (it was one of the first forum systems that I registrated on). And still I love that whenever I browse around the internet and come across a forum that use's ezboard i'm always logged in and I can start posting directly. I have one password that I need to remember and not like 20+ (the number of vB, IPB, PHPBB etc. boards that i'm registrated on) of them. To bad thats the only good thing.......
              Originally Posted by Zachery
              John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
              We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                Some of the people who lost their forums (and serious business income) were paying upwards of $2000.00/year for hosting on ezBoard.
                Ya ... so irresponsible!

Comment

Nice one! It encapsulates exactly what's been going on!

The lack of backups still appears to be an issue as people continue to lose posts. It staggers me that after all these weeks, people are having to use all sorts of methods to retain posts on their boards ... things like finding invisible posts and then replying to them to make them stable! It just astonishes me!

There are so many problems now and they're continuing ... the amount of money people are paying doesn't match the service they are getting and sadly it appears that they are not being viewed as valuable customers. No surprise that a lot of people are moving on.

The concept was good when Ezboard started and I think many people cut their teeth on the system. The system enabled those without any technical skills to start communicating online and learn skills, and for that I think many people should be thankful. However, the hacking wasn't really the problem - it illuminated Ezboard's inability to have systems in place to provide a secure system. I can't see how Ezboard is going to survive in the long term - there's far too much competition out there and their product at the moment is insecure and dated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X