Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    One possibility - use tools provided by hard drive manufacturers and correct the issues. I think WD or Seagate has some sort of tools available to fix such a problem, assuming u have one of their drives

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    I did try putting it back in the desktop after I got the error and got the same exact error message. I've braught the file server up to date and still get the same error message so I think my only solution now is to extract the data and format the 300GB. I was about due for my bi-annual computer fart. God these things suck.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Originally posted by tgillespie
    I am installing SP2 on the file server now, but if this were the case, wouldn't I be able to see the drive on my desktop since I have SP2 installed already. Hopefully the updates fix it.
    I thought the drive was in your file server? After you got the error, did you try it in your desktop again?

I wouldn't think it'd mess it up unless you actually told it to format it. In that case, installing SP2 should resolve the problem.

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    I am installing SP2 on the file server now, but if this were the case, wouldn't I be able to see the drive on my desktop since I have SP2 installed already. Hopefully the updates fix it.

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Originally posted by tgillespie
    After reading some more, this is what I think what happened. After getting a fresh XP install on my file server, I put the 300GB drive back in the system. Without SP2 or even SP1, Windows tried to mount the drive using its 137GB max, thus corrupting the drive.

I also just realized that GetDataBack is not freeware, but just a demo. In order to actually recover the data, I have to pay $80. Its going to take a good chunk of time trying to figure this out before I throw down the cash for that.
    I actually had the exact same problem. I had a 160GB hard drive that I moved to my new computer, running Windows XP (fresh install, no service packs).

The computer gave me the exact same error until I patched up Windows, after which a restart was all it took for it to recognize the disk and all its data.

Windows had a limit to the maximum size of a hard drive it could support, which has since been patched.

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    After reading some more, this is what I think what happened. After getting a fresh XP install on my file server, I put the 300GB drive back in the system. Without SP2 or even SP1, Windows tried to mount the drive using its 137GB max, thus corrupting the drive.

I also just realized that GetDataBack is not freeware, but just a demo. In order to actually recover the data, I have to pay $80. Its going to take a good chunk of time trying to figure this out before I throw down the cash for that.

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    It is Windows XP. My desktop is XP with SP2 installed. The file server is Windows XP with no service packs because I had to do a clean install on it just recently.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Is it Windows XP? Do you have a Service Pack installed? I believe Windows couldn't see a large harddrive until XP SP1.

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    Bios sees the drive as 300GB, but Windows says 120.

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Either the bios is acting retarded or the jumper is wrong would be my guestimate.

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    300GB IDE drive. In Computer Management, it only reads 120GB though. Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• DirectPixel
    replied
    Is the drive over 120GB?

Leave a comment:

• tgillespie
    replied
    All drives are in NTFS. Did some reading and found that its just a very odd XP bug. I found a freeware program called GetDataBack which will hopefully recover all of the missing files. Tried moving it back to the desktop, switching from slave to master, etc. Nothing. Guess this is the only solution

Leave a comment:

• MGM
    replied
    Try switching it back to the previous computer and back up the files that way. And if it does have to do with fat/32 or NTFS, why would switching computers make a problem? Especially if it worked with both at one point and he didn't say he formatted it when switching computers. The first thing I thought was also a problem with how it was formatted but after thinking about it it doesn't make sense...

MGM out

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Maybe it was FAT/FAT32 on one and NTFS on the other?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X