Comparison of different BBS software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Wert, what kind of connection do you have? Where are you accessing Ikonboard.com from?
    Something is seriously wrong if it takes 20-30 seconds to view a topic.
    I'm connecting on a 56k modem from Northern California. My connection is maxed out around 52k so I know it isn't that. I'm hosted on VDI also *hostrocket* and I've seen some of the slowdowns for myself. So maybe this is causing it? I will wait until I can see that the VDI servers are running quickly, and then test it then. Perhaps that will give me better speed. Are you using "mod_perl" on your server? I don't think I have it available on mine at this time. I'm thinking that if I'm getting such bad speed with it for whatever reason, there must be thousands out there with the same problem... The mySQL/php boards seem to be not quite as badly affected by the server problems so maybe I'll just stick with them....

Comment

*sigh*

Originally posted by chrispadfield
      p.s.i am on some super fast uni connection .. i get 200kbs downloads so it is fast... so any delay is from server/connection... i am also in uk.
      Perhaps there are boards *other* than the 3.0 beta that I can test that are running in real world conditions. (fairly loaded board with simultaneous traffic)
      I've got some buddies with cable and DSL connections. I'll try Beta 3.0 from theirs and tell you how it goes...

Comment

Ikonboard loads fast for me, about 2 to 4 seconds per page.

However, vBulletin is also buffered, and the entire page is only displayed to the browser after all sections have been processed. The reason it may appear to come in parts is because each table can be loaded completely independent of all else, and each post in showthread.php is in a seperate table.

Comment

Stallion, what happened to your open topic site?
          Christopher Padfield
          Web Based Helpdesk
          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Wert, It's not running under mod_perl at the moment, although I hope to persaude Paul and Dan to install it for me.

We've just been moved to a dedicated VO server - probably the same type as Eva's without the RAM upgrade (Eva is on a VO server too AFAIK).

Perl and PHP are affected in the same way by server faults, so it shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Stallion, thanks for the speed check.

I've got a faster version of iB running locally, the version on the support board still has some 'glue' code, this code is used to bridge areas where features are missing, as a result the compiler has to reload modules that it shouldn't need too.

Typical server loads run at about .20 with about 120 - 160 members online.

Comment

that is impressive, looks good. Eva being on VO, yes that is why i compared you two

Looking forward to a release version and mysql class as well...
              Christopher Padfield
              Web Based Helpdesk
              DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

[sorry to divulge from the point a little]

Has anyone noticed how a thread of this nature would be impossible at either Infopop or Ubbdev? Eventhe loosest connection of a topic to another BB maker will result in the thread being closed over at Ubbdev and the same thing at infopop would probably result in the thread being closed, deleted and the person who posted it permanantly banned.

And the main reason for this is usually because they always seem to turn into arguments about how much UBB sucks arse. Now whether or not it actually does is besides the point but you'd think a company that likes to paint itself as being superior to all the competion would take note of the complaints instead of burying its head in the sand.......

Anyways bugger it all..... Ubb was great and it isnt anymore. Long live vb!
                Last edited by Grumble; Mon 16 Apr '01, 3:01pm.

Comment

Slinging 'mud' at other competing products will get your thread closed, and rightly so.

vBulletin seem to let constructive discussions about other forum software continue because they are secure in the knowledge that vB is the leader in the market. Nearly every feature request we get at iB has '..because vB has it' tacked on the end.

Comment

Mudslinging yes, thats justified but this? http://www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimat...&f=10&t=000729

I dont think so, that is just blatant supression of discussion to me.

Anyway forget it. I wouldnt want to be responsible for getting THIS thread closed.......

Comment

You could ask JohnM on here about that thread since he is around here also. Quite the jack of all trades when it comes to different forum systems, you seem to find him everywhere.

Comment

There are rules at ubbdev about what threads we are supposed to close.

Note - the reason I'm a mod there is because I used to be an admin there when it was ubbcodehacking and I knew a lot of people, and Allen (the admin) made a ServerSideScripting forum which was mainly for the two languages I knew, so I volunteered.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]

Something is seriously wrong if it takes 20-30 seconds to view a topic.
                          Ok, I just ran several traceroutes and VDI is killing you! You are getting an average packet loss of about 20% from here and it sometimes goes up to 40%! Here's the traceroute if you're interested. I clipped out the good stuff and left the last two problem hops.

Report for www.ikonboard.com [216.74.123.126]

Analysis: 'www.ikonboard.com' was found in 13 hops (TTL=241). But, problems starting at hop 12 in network "VDI" are causing IP packets to be
                          dropped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          | Hop | %Loss | IP Address | Node Name | Location | Tzone | ms | Graph | Network |
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | New York, NY, USA | -5.0 | 790 | -x--- | UUNET Technologies, Inc. |
                          | 12 | 10 | 216.74.127.226 | vlan2.aggr1.cftnnj.inet.vdi.net | ?Clifton, NJ 07003 | | 678 | -x--- | VDI |
                          | 13 | 10 | 216.74.123.126 | www.ikonboard.com | ?Clifton, NJ 07003 | | 635 | -x---- | VDI |
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Roundtrip time to www.ikonboard.com, average = 635ms, min = 496ms, max = 1150ms -- 17-Apr-01 10:13:47 AM

Comment

Thanks Wert!

Man that sucks... but I had a feeling it was that bad. Still, it's an improvement over a few weeks ago when VDI's router went down. We got about 14 hours downtime along with about 1/2 million other sites.

They claim to be working on it, although it's going to be months until it's back to being close to 'good' again.

There's not much that I or VenturesOnline can do. I'm backing VO's decision to stay with VDI and ride out the storm. IMHO it's better the devil you know...

Comment

Matt-

I actually had some better results connecting to your site, although I too have had some problems with connecting to VDI based sites as well.

Code:
                              ==================================================
                              === VisualRoute report on 17-Apr-01 1:22:46 PM ===
                              ==================================================

Report for [url]www.ikonboard.com[/url] [216.74.123.126]

Analysis: 'www.ikonboard.com' was found in 16 hops (TTL=242). It is a HTTP server (running Apache/1.3.17 (Unix) 
                              mod_bwlimited/0.8 PHP/4.0.4pl1 mod_log_bytes/0.2 mod_frontpage/3.0.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.0 OpenSSL/0.9.6). 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              | Hop | %Loss | IP Address      | Node Name                       | Location              | Tzone  | ms | Graph      | Network                  |
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              | 0   |       | 65.9.***.***    | **********                      | *                     |        |    |            | @Home Network            |
                              | 1   |       | 10.73.66.1      | -                               | ...                   |        | 34 |  --x---    | (private use)            |
                              | 2   |       | 24.18.63.113    | r1-fe1-0.jamison1.pa.home.net   | ?---                  |        | 18 |  x-----    | @Home Network            |
                              | 3   |       | 24.2.5.1        | r1-ge5-0.wyn1.pa.home.net       | ?---                  |        | 10 |  x---      | @Home Network            |
                              | 4   |       | 10.103.84.1     | -                               | ...                   |        | 18 |  x------   | (private use)            |
                              | 5   |       | 24.7.74.57      | c1-pos4-0.phlapa1.home.net      | Philadelphia, PA, USA |   -5.0 | 19 |  x---      | @Home Network            |
                              | 6   |       | 24.7.65.225     | c1-pos6-0.cmdnnj1.home.net      | Camden, NJ, USA       |   -5.0 | 25 |  -x------- | @Home Network            |
                              | 7   |       | 24.7.65.85      | c1-pos1-0.washdc1.home.net      | Washington, DC, USA   |   -5.0 | 26 |  -x-----   | @Home Network            |
                              | 8   |       | 137.39.52.37    | ATM2-0.BR3.DCA8.ALTER.NET       | Washington, DC, USA   |   -5.0 | 26 |  -x-----   | UUNET Technologies, Inc. |
                              | 9   |       | 152.63.36.6     | 0.so-4-1-0.XR1.DCA8.ALTER.NET   | Washington, DC, USA   |   -5.0 | 17 |  x----     | UUNET Technologies, Inc. |
                              | 10  |       | 152.63.144.49   | 0.so-3-0-0.TR1.DCA8.ALTER.NET   | Washington, DC, USA   |   -5.0 | 20 |  -x-----   | UUNET Technologies, Inc. |
                              | 11  |       | 146.188.141.186 | 115.at-6-0-0.TR1.NYC8.ALTER.NET | New York, NY, USA     |   -5.0 | 41 |   --x---   | UUNET PIPEX              |
                              | 12  |       | 152.63.19.185   | 185.at-1-0-0.XR1.NYC8.ALTER.NET | New York, NY, USA     |   -5.0 | 27 |   x------  | UUNET Technologies, Inc. |
                              | 13  |       | 152.63.18.169   | 183.ATM6-0.GW3.NYC8.ALTER.NET   | New York, NY, USA     |   -5.0 | 39 |   -x----   | UUNET Technologies, Inc. |
                              | 14  |       | 157.130.59.14   | vdi-nyc-gw.customer.alter.net   | New York, NY, USA     |   -5.0 | 27 |   x------  | UUNET Technologies, Inc. |
                              | 15  |       | 216.74.127.226  | vlan2.aggr1.cftnnj.inet.vdi.net | ?Clifton, NJ 07003    |        | 27 |   x--      | VDI                      |
                              | 16  |       | 216.74.123.126  | [url]www.ikonboard.com[/url]               | ?Clifton, NJ 07003    |        | 25 |   x---     | VDI                      |
                              Roundtrip time to [url]www.ikonboard.com,[/url] average = 25ms, min = 20ms, max = 50ms -- 17-Apr-01 1:22:46 PM

Comment

Thanks Chris

I guess it's the luck of the draw. I'm in the UK and access times are actually pretty good surprisingly. It's definately improved now we're on a beefier server. a broken server running on a broken network isn't much fun.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X