No announcement yet.

Comparison of different BBS software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, Ikonboard will also be able to access different database types, not just flat file.
    Jordan Gadd
    Contact Information

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
      Yep, Ikonboard will also be able to access different database types, not just flat file.
      Do you think using Ikonboards with a mySQL backend will speed it up? Right now, it's just too slow...

Comment

iB 3 is already much faster than iB 2, but putting it on a mysql database may speed it up, but i dont see how.

Comment

Originally posted by i70x7
          iB 3 is already much faster than iB 2, but putting it on a mysql database may speed it up, but i dont see how.
          May speed up? It *will speed up.

Comment

Originally posted by i70x7
            I hope you're wrong and that using mySQL speeds it up.
            IB 3.0 Beta is running dog slow on their home server. When I ask why, I'm told it's "server issues". When I ask to see a copy of IB running nice and fast somewhere else, all I get is dead silence...

Comment

I have checked these board systems free or payment required:

- anyboard (from features only 1 language per board?) didnt get to know if there is file attachment support

- vbulletin (didnt look much since i didnt find file attachment feature mentioned anywhere then) I can see now that there is file attachment in 2.0 and calendar etc but still no good language support

- w-agora that was quite good but lacked multiple languages per forum/user profile setting and user groups on admin site also was no mass set user rights option and default layout wasnt good

- ubb6 was too costly for features

- phorum - didnt find user management

- mwforum - was good but user management was not so good also was 1 language per board not multiple

- Ikonboard - site didnt work at all or was slow, links broken etc.. maybe its fixed now but too bad didnt work when i tried to evaluate it

- wwwthreads - there was good examples running it under heavy load (stratics, sony music), did have file attachment support and also language support was mentioned in features (found site with nice language switching features on), default look was ok

I ended up buying wwwthreads 5.3 pro for only $200 (commercial use). You can guess what i was looking for from board software (multilanguage support, file attachments, usable default look). I actually installed lots of them on linux server and checked them.
              jriihi
              Last edited by jriihi; Mon 16 Apr '01, 6:03am.

Comment

Wert, have you tried looking at ikonboard at our support forums recently? It seems our server issues have been resolved. I hope!

Comment

The speed of a board isn't just caused by the database type it uses. Most of the time it's just a server stuffed with sites and scripts which makes it slow. So you can't say a script is slow just because there is a board somewhere that runs slow, not for iB not for YaBB.

Comment

Originally posted by Zef Hemel
                    So you can't say a script is slow just because there is a board somewhere that runs slow, not for iB not for YaBB.
                    I've gone to quite a few sites running Ikonboard and each and every single one of them is slow. Really, Really slow. Perhaps they are all on bad servers? I'm not asking for assurances that it *can* be fast. I just want just one single link to an ikonboard running under a decent load with decent speed. I tried the current version *not 3.0 beta* on my server which is fairly quick running other scripts and it bogged down something fierce. Especially when searching. And this was on a test board with very few posts! Tried the 3.0 beta site right now and if anything, it seems slower than when I looked the other day! Searching seems broken on the beta so I can't test it. I was really looking to justify testing out 3.0 when it's available, but I'm totally unconvinced that the speed issues have been resolved.

Comment

ib3 is completly different to ib2, more different than vb2 is from vb.
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk
                      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                        Wert, have you tried looking at ikonboard at our support forums recently? It seems our server issues have been resolved. I hope!
                        I wish I could say it was faster, but... I went there and tried a few topics, especially the "chit chat" one as I noticed it had over a thousand posts and should make a good test. I even tried connecting with a few different isp's to make sure they weren't being slow. It was taking 20-30 seconds (sometimes more!) just to view a topic. It seems I was looking at white screens for a long time while IB seems to struggle with grabbing the posts. At the same time I noticed that all the mySQL/PHP boards I went to were very quick. I love the look of IB, but I think you face the possibility of losing users in droves to quicker solutions....

Comment

Wert, what kind of connection do you have? Where are you accessing Ikonboard.com from?

I'm from England using a 56k dial-up and it loads as fast as any thread does on this forum, it has never (for me) taken anything near as long as 20-30 seconds to view a topic.

We're hosted with VenturesOnline, which uses vdi.net. VDI are having major problems with their routers, etc - so it's possible that your connection is affected.

Another thing to keep in mind is that I've buffered the output, so it'll only display the HTML page when it's loaded completely, unlike vB which loads in sections at a time for me.

Something is seriously wrong if it takes 20-30 seconds to view a topic.

I've got a perl timer running, and on average it takes 0.05 CPU seconds to load a topic page with a load average of 0.01 per process.

Comment

Oh, and for a few weeks we're using WebTrends to collect data - this sometimes hangs to browser, or it does for me.

Another thing that I'm changing is the loading of the spellchecker javascript (no point as it's being discontinued) and the iB javascript unless it's needed.

Comment

i just tried it and it is loading pages fast. There are 125 members online and pages were about 3 seconds to load. Comparing it to evas site which has 89 users it appear slightly slower but not by much if anything. And eva does have a pretty powerful server!

Matt, what is your typical server load and what server is ikonboard on?
                              Christopher Padfield
                              Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

p.s.i am on some super fast uni connection .. i get 200kbs downloads so it is fast... so any delay is from server/connection... i am also in uk.
                                Christopher Padfield
                                Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X