No announcement yet.

Comparison of different BBS software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you could probably count the number of features that have actually been implemented on your fingers.......
    Hot Topics (requested alot, put in)
    Spellchecker (discontinued though )
    Private Messages (you dont know how much)
    Archives (was requested before)
    User Ratings (requested)
    Custom Registration Fields (ha! my fav feature)
    Member passwords in CP
    Instant Smilies
    Insant UBBCode
    Edit subject via topic edit line.
    Smilies. (Was an idea once, put in)

There are more. But you get the idea. Now, i am going to say more features will be put in -- der.

Comment

Originally posted by wert

There is already another thread on this topic.
      He's referring to my comment that UBB yanked spellchecker support with the release of UBB6 (the comment is back a page or two).

Comment

Why didn't they take advantage of the hoopla surrounding 6.0 to introduce more new features? They even regressed somewhat, removing some features that were standard in 5.x!
        Because its easier to add features to clean code than bad code.
        And you, my friend, are a dip.

Comment

The cache is revolutionary? Maybe no one has done it, but that doesn't make it a good thing. Work gzip into it. Do something other than hamper up-to-the-minute interactivity, online lists, etc. Not to mention the cache gives it one more chance to corrupt data.
          Yes it is. GZIP only works on UNIX/Linux with Apache. I dont think so.
          Corrupt data? LMAO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tubedogg

He's referring to my comment that UBB yanked spellchecker support with the release of UBB6 (the comment is back a page or two).
            Still seems that this is getting a little off topic...

Comment

I've got an idea. Let's turn this into SK and revert to name-calling and acting like 4 year olds. Sound good, MasterMind?

Because its easier to add features to clean code than bad code.
              Um...my point exactly. Ted "cleaned up" the code, then you start adding features. Just because you spend months cleaning up code that shouldn't have needed cleaning in the first place doesn't mean you release the product as a whole new version. New version implies new features to many, many people. There are very few new features in UBB6, and as I stated before, features standard in 5.x were removed. How do you justify that?

Comment

I dont. That is something i dont understand either.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMind
                  And you, my friend, are a dip.
                  Okay, this ISN"T IP and I would appreciate it if everyone will keep the namecalling to themselves.

If you want to have a discussion, I ask that everyone respect each other's opinions even IF you don't agree with them.

Anymore "childish behavior" will result in the closure of this thread so let's keep it interesting but civil!

Comment

GZIP only works on UNIX/Linux with Apache.
                    I think he was talking about the gzip module for PHP...

Comment

Even so, UBB is written in perl, hence it would be difficult to implement GZIP compression on UBB unless, ofcourse, they wrote it in PHP.
                      Sorry Me2Be.

Comment

Even so, UBB is written in perl, hence it would be difficult to implement GZIP compression on UBB unless, ofcourse, they wrote it in PHP.
                        Sorry Me2Be.
                        A little more difficult in comparison to PHP, but it certainly shouldn't be difficult for anyone producing a commercial Perl application (or any Perl application for distribution).

You can use Apache::OutputChain and Apache::GzipChain as long as you're running under mod_perl. This will compress any output that comes from a specified module (ie. Apache::Passfile or a custom one iff UBB handles it's own output).
                        http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

MasterMind: GZIP is NOT server, operating system, or scripting language specific. There is a GZIP module (coded in C) that can be integrated with PHP, but guess what, there is also a complete zip library coded in PHP itself. If it can be done in PHP, it can most likely can also be done in Perl -- so you can't use that as an excuse why UBB isn't supporting it.

Do a search at CPAN, I will bet there are a plethora of GZIP modules.

Comment

UBB - ...has a reputatable company background.
                            You mean the same company whose owner let me spend $6k on a server 3 days before the release of OpenTopic as a hosted only solution, telling me personally that the system I was considering would handle it easily?

They definitely have a reputation, it's what kind of reputation that should be questioned.
                            Webmaster:
                            @forumz

Comment

UBB

Originally posted by Martin

They definitely have a reputation, it's what kind of reputation that should be questioned.
                              I think it's really sad that UBB 6.0 is quickly being eclipsed by many of the free/gpl boards out there. vB is much much cheaper and better if you need a commercial solution...

Comment

The maker of DCForum - David - is considering mod_perl,php and MySQL as the feature of his product. UBB seems to be the only product that will continue using flat files.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X