Comparison of different BBS software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uha Ok!

UBB better come up with something..Its sad when Free BB's have more quality..With Yabb & Ikonboard around..Why would anyone spend that 264 dollars on a Perl Board.

VBulletin..Well thats different..

Comment

Ubb has gone downhill big time..... I installed a copy of UBB 6 to take a look at it and deleted it not 20 minutes later as i thought it was awful..... The new control panel layout absolutly sucks arse, why fix something that wasnt broken in the first place? And Scriptkeeper forums having a "Features Suggestions" forum is a bit of a farce as you could probably count the number of features that have actually been implemented on your fingers.......

In terms of looks I'd say that Ikonboard has to be one of the prettiest pieces of software out there, whereas Vbulletin wears the crown in terms of functionality..... If Vbulletin looked more like Ikonboard I'd be a very happy camper indeed..... Plus the html for Ikonboard is a LOT better than Vb (Ive mentioned before what a mess the underlying code for vb is)

There is also the zcom forum system (when the author gets his site back online and releases the code) Which is looking pretty much like being a cross between ubb/vb for features......

Comment

Grumble, you are right about vBulletin's HTML code. I don't feel comfortable when editing the templates. Howere it does the job .

Comment

I didnt bother trying to work around the existing template code..... I just re-wrote the whole thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Grumble
            Plus the html for Ikonboard is a LOT better than Vb (Ive mentioned before what a mess the underlying code for vb is)
            vBulletin just went through a huge HTML cleanup. It's now compliant with HTML4 and all templates follow a standard indenting system.

I'm not totally familiar with Ikonboard, so I have no idea how it handles the display of pages and HTML.

Comment

Yup, looking over the code for this page I admit its a hell of a lot better. Still dont like those spacer gifs though...

Ikonboard isnt exactly perfect, but by and large its pretty well coded

Comment

I actually like the look of both vB and iB...
                Jordan Gadd
                Contact Information

Comment

A question about Ikonboard.

I've always liked the look of Ikonboards, but they always seem so sloooooow. Maybe I'm just spoiled by php/mySQL based boards like vB, Yabb, Blazeboards, phpBB etc... I tried the 3.0 Ikonboard beta on their site and it was taking like 10-15 seconds *sometimes more!* to generate each page. It was driving me nuts! I asked about this before and Matt blamed their server on the speed issues. If this is the case, is there somewhere I can see Ikonboards running at full speed? I'd like to see a busy Ikonboard running on a fast host so I can properly evaluate it. Right now, no amount of pretty looks and nice features would make me want to use something so slow.
                  Last edited by wert; Sat 14 Apr '01, 10:32am.

Comment

Current YaBB is not PHP However I think that they are going to release PHP version after Perl version 2.

Comment

Actually I have noticed some real slow times on the Ikonboard.com server as well. I am pretty sure it is server related as I have seen iB blaze as well. The only place you can see iBv3 (non alpha) is on the Support Forums though.
                      Jordan Gadd
                      Contact Information

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                        I am pretty sure it is server related as I have seen iB blaze as well.
                        Where have you seen it blaze? I've been looking for Ikonboards that are running quickly, but I've had zero luck so far...

Comment

Originally posted by JB007
                          Current YaBB is not PHP However I think that they are going to release PHP version after Perl version 2.
                          My mistake about YaBB. I just went to their site again and it's really slow too! I know that perl can be fast *especially if it's compiled in as mod_perl* so do ya think it's the lack of a proper dbase backend that's killing its speed?

Comment

Excuse me.
                            Spellchecker.NET discontinued their free service.

when?
                            When 6.1.0 is released. When 6.1.2 is released. etc.

like?
                            Wordlets
                            Cache

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMind
                              Excuse me.
                              There is already another thread on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterMind

As of next month. Yet UBB yanked support months ago...

When 6.1.0 is released. When 6.1.2 is released. etc.
                                Why didn't they take advantage of the hoopla surrounding 6.0 to introduce more new features? They even regressed somewhat, removing some features that were standard in 5.x!

Wordlets
                                It's called templates in vB, and is much more revoluntionary than simply having a laundry list of words available to change. A lot of the UBB look and feel, as well as many words, are still hardcoded into the "template" CGI files and requires at least a little knowledge of Perl to edit.

Cache
                                The cache is revolutionary? Maybe no one has done it, but that doesn't make it a good thing. Work gzip into it. Do something other than hamper up-to-the-minute interactivity, online lists, etc. Not to mention the cache gives it one more chance to corrupt data.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X