No announcement yet.

Comparison of different BBS software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also felt like Kevin did when I heard about UBB6. I thought - wow this is going to be a great piece of software. When all it turned out to be some a couple new features, some backend coding, layout differences, and supposed admin ease of use. I was quite surprised at what they released.

John - I think their member area does, but to tell you the truth I have never been inside!
    Jordan Gadd
    Contact Information

Comment

some very great hack such as Memberlist for UBB 5.xx version does npt work anymore..Further more the spell check function had been taken out....
      iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

Comment

Yeah, I am surprised they didn't include that in UBB6.
        Jordan Gadd
        Contact Information

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
          Yeah, I am surprised they didn't include that in UBB6.
          I think ubb become one of the worst bbs...it's my opinion

Comment

I think it is still good, just no longer the best.
            Jordan Gadd
            Contact Information

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
              I think it is still good, just no longer the best.
              yes,it's shame

Comment

Yeah, especially since the people the write UBB are very smart coders, it is a shame they cannot write a more sucessful product.
                Jordan Gadd
                Contact Information

Comment

Originally posted by freehtml
                  You are very right, I downloaded UBB 6.01 then 6.02, then again 6.03..and in the end decided that I will wait for the final release, no point install the new release and had to re-hack everything again...a total waste of time.
                  The thing is, 6.00 *was* the final release (I think you may be referring to their 21 beta releases). 6.01, 6.02, 6.03, and now 6.04 are bug fix releases. Minor little bug fixes that require you to replace multiple files, making hacking either not worth it or requiring you to do it every few days if you want your board to be up-to-date.

Originally posted by freehtml
                  some very great hack such as Memberlist for UBB 5.xx version does npt work anymore. Further more the spell check function had been taken out...
                  Spellcheck will supposedly be back sometime...I'll believe it when I see it.
                  The memberlist hack doesn't work because the member files have changed, as is the case with almost all of the hacks: all of the files have changed.
                  Another interesting point - in an attempt to force you to upgrade, ubbdev.com has stopped supporting UBB5.x boards and hacks. (I know they're not official, but they're the only hacking site left...)

Originally posted by John Harrison
                  But if you dont then people will start jumping at you calling you a priate owner seeing that you are 3 versions behind if you stayed at ubb v6.0 but if I am correct doesn't their member area have a history of versions?
                  I don't think they'll start calling you a pirate - just as if someone here hasn't upraded to vB2 yet, we don't call them a pirate.
                  And yes, the member's area has both a history of versions (going back to UBB2), and downloads going back to 5.47e (so there's at least 6 different versions available).

Comment

UBB2? I want to see a board running that!
                    Jordan Gadd
                    Contact Information

Comment

Lol,too old i think

Comment

Yeah, probably - it would still be neat to see what it looks like though.
                        Jordan Gadd
                        Contact Information

Comment

I think that one of the worst things Ted made to his product is the caching system, personally I don't care about the features. The current ones look great to me. But the caching system prevents hackers from adding dynamic content to ubb like sorting the topic's list in a specific order. Although I created a subroutine for my views hack to process each topic in the cache. It's not capable of processing more complex situations. vBulletin developers realized that MySQL is the feature of web development. So the choosed it as the official backend database ( note that I did not mention PHP ... because Perl can be as fast as PHP ). However, I like UBB 6 style more the vBulletin's style [ although it can be easily changed by the templates system ].

Best Regards

Comment

True, but personally I like vBulletin's "outta the box" style better than UBB's "outta the box" style.
                            Jordan Gadd
                            Contact Information

Comment

Heh, did you used to use UBB?
                              Jordan Gadd
                              Contact Information

Comment

Yup, it had y2k problems

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X