Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparison of different BBS software

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Comparison of different BBS software

    Having installed and customized some of the BBS software, namely UBB, VBulletin and phpBB.

    What is the cons and pros?

    Here is a list of the different Forum that I had installed :

    Sanguo ONline Meeting Hall (Running on UBB 6.0.3)
    Sanguo ONline Meeting Hall (Running on vBulletin 2.0.0 beta 5)
    Sanguo ONline Meeting Hall (Running on phpBB 1.2.1)

    Any comments and suggestions?
    iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

  • #2
    PHPBB was never my idea of a BBS with class. I hate it, in other words.

    Pros and cons of ubb and vb:

    vB - Superiorly fast; every feature known to earth. Good support.

    UBB - Groundbreaking features not seen in vB; Lacking features in 6.0 but that WILL change. Speed is fast/moderate depending on server config. Good support, has a reputatable company background.

    PHPBB - Dont consider it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MasterMind
      PHPBB was never my idea of a BBS with class. I hate it, in other words.

      Pros and cons of ubb and vb:

      vB - Superiorly fast; every feature known to earth. Good support.

      UBB - Groundbreaking features not seen in vB; Lacking features in 6.0 but that WILL change. Speed is fast/moderate depending on server config. Good support, has a reputatable company background.

      PHPBB - Dont consider it.
      Yes as far as concern , UBB had a very great customer base...A lot of hacks had been dedicated to UBB, which mades it one of the best for paid BBS CGI scripts.

      On the other hand, phpBB is free , thus it may not be compare as the commercial VB...

      Just my 2 cents
      iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

      Comment


      • #4
        The vB is the best. :P

        I like it's layout more then the others..
        Site: -http://www.jazz2online.com-
        Forums -http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/-

        Comment


        • #5
          Laying aside the features, etc - I would have to go with vB but using the colors you have on your UBB. Personally I like vBulletin a lot more because of the features (some not all) that UBB does not have as standard.
          Jordan Gadd
          Contact Information

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah, the thing that annoys me most about phpBB is the fonts - they don't use standard fonts.
            Jordan Gadd
            Contact Information

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by John Harrison
              I like both UBB and vbulletin
              phpbb looks quite rubbish.
              phpBB is free. So is it because of that the features is much lesser as compared to vBulletin?
              iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

              Comment


              • #8
                As John said above, phpBB is ugly without some MAJOR modification. vBulletin is not. UBB is not.
                Jordan Gadd
                Contact Information

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jordan
                  As John said above, phpBB is ugly without some MAJOR modification. vBulletin is not. UBB is not.
                  Yes you are right. I will switch over to vBulletin completely when the final release is out and the UBB6 -> vBulletin convertor scripts is out.

                  I am now running the forum with UBB 6.0.3 with some hacks.
                  iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A good forum you might think of is : IkonBoard. However , if you need the speed you can think of W3T or vBulletin but the later has much more cool features.

                    vBulletin,UBB,IkonBoard and W3T are all good forums software. You choose one of them depending on your personal prefernces.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yep, to choose one though I would go around, check out the board's support forums, look at other user's boards - and see what they did with it. Bulletin boards are all about personal preference - there is no "right" one.
                      Jordan Gadd
                      Contact Information

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MasterMind
                        UBB - Groundbreaking features not seen in vB
                        Like?

                        Originally posted by MasterMind
                        Lacking features in 6.0 but that WILL change.
                        When?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Wondering the same as Kevin - When will UBB start to NOT lack features?
                          Jordan Gadd
                          Contact Information

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have to admit I'm slightly biased as I am extremely pissed at Navaho right now for ignoring my email...but anyway I've said this before and I'll say it again: With the launch of UBB6, they had a chance to revolutionize the BB software market. Yet they didn't. They rewrote the code. Whoop-de-frickin-do. Maybe it runs slightly faster now. But along with this should have come more features. A lacking PM implementation, a karma system that isn't exactly fair, and a lacking UBBcode implementation are not exactly what I expected with all the hoopla behind UBB6.

                            Anyway, I have not tried phpBB but I have been told by others to stay far clear of it. Use UBB if you want to (and have the spare cash...jeez) but my vote for reliability and speed is vB.

                            Edit: Almost forgot one thing: Since UBB6's official release, they have released 4 bug fixes. Fine, I commend them for that. However, with a release every week (or every couple days), it gets real grating to upgrade every time, especially if you've done any amount of customization to the "template" CGI files. At least with vB your templates aren't overwritten every time...
                            Last edited by tubedogg; Fri 13 Apr '01, 8:14am.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tubedogg

                              Edit: Almost forgot one thing: Since UBB6's official release, they have released 4 bug fixes. Fine, I commend them for that. However, with a release every week (or every couple days), it gets real grating to upgrade every time, especially if you've done any amount of customization to the "template" CGI files. At least with vB your templates aren't overwritten every time...
                              You are very right, I downloaded UBB 6.01 then 6.02, then again 6.03..and in the end decided that I will wait for the final release, no point install the new release and had to re-hack everything again...a total waste of time.
                              iHu6.com (BETA) - www.ihu6.com

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X