• Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer 7 with tabs

I expect a big war on this one after they release IE 7,

Originally posted by http://entmag.com/news/article.asp?editorialsid=6700
    Internet Explorer 7.0 to Include Tabbed Browsing

by Scott Bekker

May 17, 2005

Internet Explorer 7.0 will include the tabbed browsing feature already present in several rival browsers, including Firefox, Opera and Netscape, Microsoft developers confirmed this week. "Yes, IE7 has tabs," said Internet Explorer product unit manager Dean Hachamovitch, who then cautioned customers not to expect much in the technical beta of IE 7.0 scheduled for mid-summer. "The tabbed browsing experience in the upcoming IE7 beta is pretty basic. Expect additional end-user functionality to come in after the beta."

IE 7.0 is a new version of the world's most-used browser that will work on computers running Windows XP Service Pack 2. Until recently, Microsoft had not planned to release a new version of Internet Explorer until the next version of Windows, code-named "Longhorn." In February, however, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates unveiled plans for the new version of IE.
    who expect a war? I EXPECT A WAR!

A war between...? Firefox and IE? Mozille and Microsoft? Tabbed-browsing and non-tabbed-browsing? All of those already have a war or have had wars... I think this is simply Microsoft being scared of Firefox so they're releasing IE7 ahead of time (rather than being packaged with Longhorn)

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by MGM
      A war between...? Firefox and IE? Mozille and Microsoft? Tabbed-browsing and non-tabbed-browsing? All of those already have a war or have had wars... I think this is simply Microsoft being scared of Firefox so they're releasing IE7 ahead of time (rather than being packaged with Longhorn)

MGM out
      I don't think they going to release long horn for a longg timeee IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by David Gonzalez
        I don't think they going to release long horn for a longg timeee IMHO
        I say 2007 at the latest... but isn't the "official" release supposed to be 2006?

MGM out

Comment

I want to know why this will be better than what I got. (Refering to Longhorn)

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if Mozilla wasn't compatible with Longhorn. Then nobody would use it
            - MrLister

Comment

Originally posted by mrlister
              Wouldn't it be great if Mozilla wasn't compatible with Longhorn. Then nobody would use it
              or go red hat
              -- Web Developer for hire
              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

red hat is the ms of linux

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                  red hat is the ms of linux

sorry for cross-posting but confused with this statement ?

Comment

Originally posted by mrlister
                    Why would forcing everyone who prefers another browser to use one they dislike be great? It's certainly not a benefit to anyone, least of which MSFT's bottom line.
                    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Tabs? Ok... now start pushing towards support for webstandards, PNG support and a few other things
                      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

png transparency will be supported in IE7

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/ (do a search on this page for png)

IMO MS aren't likely to start complying with web standards. Instead they'll do what they always do - make their own standards and then ignore everyone else.
                        Hungry ?

Comment

Originally posted by John Miller

sorry for cross-posting but confused with this statement ?
                          It was in reponse to Loco.

RedHat is not longer a free solution, at least not the product named redhat, however, Fedora is free.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                            Tabs? Ok... now start pushing towards support for webstandards, PNG support and a few other things
                            Exactly. Who gives a damn about tabs when the content within them is still rendered by 5-year-old half-standards?
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                              Exactly. Who gives a damn about tabs when the content within them is still rendered by 5-year-old half-standards?
                              Amen to that

Talking about standards: Will Microsoft do as they did in the past (define new standards and don't care about others)?
                              That's the end of that!

Comment

Working...
                              X