Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't vBulletin use 3.2 instead then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it can be called whatever they want to call it i'll still use it

i for one am not version number retentive

Comment

Originally posted by greywolff
      it can be called whatever they want to call it i'll still use it

i for one am not version number retentive
      AGREED, VERY WELL SAID

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
        "Some say that calling the next version 3.5 is... unnatural..."

"How does one get vB3.5... ?"

"... Not from a Jedi..."
        You haven't been told the story of Kier Plagueis have you?

Comment

Not quite a minor version update * 3.1 * and not quite a major version update * 4.0 * it's in the middle, thus 3.5! I'm happy, it sounds WAY cooler than 3.1

Comment

Heh, I love the Star Wars blurbs... you know you're a geek when you get a kick out of Star Wars / vB jokes.

Comment

I think instead of using an arbitrary version numbering scheme which gives the impression of there being some logical progression to the version numbers, you should use an arbitrary version naming scheme based on travelling along the I-95 corridor from Florida to Maine.

You could start in Maine at the northern most exit, use it's name as your next version, like:
              vBulletin - Houston, ME edition.
              And then work your way down the highway using subsequent notable towns. To avoid progressing TOO slowly, you should skip any exit not connected with a town of 10,000 people or more within a 50 square mile area. So then you'ld go from:
              vB - Houston ME
              to
              vB - Bangor
              and then onto
              vB - Augusta

for kicks you could include the fictional Maine towns of Castle Rock and Derry (2 points if you identify the context of the towns).

That would clear out all the confusion over versions, no problem.

I mean, look at "Whidbey" and "Yukon". Clear as mud right?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary King
                Not for the many that quickly become confused.

I can just imagine the chaos on these forums...

Please note that the quote above does not represent my own thoughts, only what I predict we will see a lot of on these forums. It's just a small example.

Also, yes Floris, I had already read that portion. I was criticizing it, too. I don't see why, even with so many new features, etc., that they would skip several versions. The only other time I have actually see this happen with a product was when Winamp moved from v3 to v5 - mostly because v3 was complete garbage, so their whole marketing scheme was to say that v5 included 'the best of both worlds - v2 and v3! Wow!'.
                oh wait...no one cares.
                Pipe and Cigar Discussion Forum and Reviews
                My Pipe and Cigar Store in Bellingham, Washington

Comment

Originally posted by chaeberle
                  for kicks you could include the fictional Maine towns of Castle Rock and Derry (2 points if you identify the context of the towns).
                  Stephen King fan huh?
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by chaeberle
                    I think instead of using an arbitrary version numbering scheme which gives the impression of there being some logical progression to the version numbers, you should use an arbitrary version naming scheme based on travelling along the I-95 corridor from Florida to Maine.

You could start in Maine at the northern most exit, use it's name as your next version, like:
                    vBulletin - Houston, ME edition.
                    And then work your way down the highway using subsequent notable towns. To avoid progressing TOO slowly, you should skip any exit not connected with a town of 10,000 people or more within a 50 square mile area. So then you'ld go from:
                    vB - Houston ME
                    to
                    vB - Bangor
                    and then onto
                    vB - Augusta

That would clear out all the confusion over versions, no problem.

I mean, look at "Whidbey" and "Yukon". Clear as mud right?
                    Hey, I like that idea since I'm from Maine!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                      Stephen King fan huh?
                      Two points to Wayne. Used to be a fan anyway - read all his stuff up to around Misery ... then just kinda lost interest in the genre.

I think "Needful Things" and more so "Tommyknockers" killed my interest in King for the most part.

Comment

Versioning is done a scale that is determined by how many changes there are to the software. For instance (and these example are just rough examples of how things generally work), a minor update to version 1.0 could be 1.0.1. A bug fix release with a new feature might move up to 1.1.0. Any bug fixes and stuff after that might be known as 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 1.1.4, etc. But keep in mind that the level of bug fixes or new features can make the version number skip one or more. 1.1.0 can easily jump to 1.1.3 or something; even to 1.2.

It all depends on what's been done to the software. Add enough new features and fix enough bugs or other issues, and the version number can reasonably skip right over many smaller numbers. And I think Jelsoft has done just that with 3.5. To go from 3.0.7 to 3.1 just seems like too small a step to reflect the leap in evolution of the software. 3.5 is appropriate, IMO.
                        ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sullivan
                          You haven't been told the story of Kier Plagueis have you?
                          Told of this story I haven't, mmmm...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X