Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't vBulletin use 3.2 instead then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it numbered at 3.5 because with the substantial changes you consider it to be the half way marker between v3.0 and v4.0 by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Razz
      Was it numbered at 3.5 because with the substantial changes you consider it to be the half way marker between v3.0 and v4.0 by any chance?
      My guess is that the changes are enough to warrant a 4.0 release (considering the underlying structure of the code has supposedly changed entirely and the new major features) but the 3.0 release is still relatively new for a major version. Also backwards compatibility is probably another issue they wanted to avoid in such a short period of time.
      Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

The code changes would probably justify a version 4 but with all major version numbers previously we have seen style changes and new admin panels etc, maybe this is why we're only at the half way marker.

Comment

Originally posted by Razz
          The code changes would probably justify a version 4 but with all major version numbers previously we have seen style changes and new admin panels etc, maybe this is why we're only at the half way marker.
          I think a new vB X version would require more than just a backend change.... I expect tons of new features, possibly a completely new style (or the current style rehauled to be more standardized for the time), and faster speeds. vB 3.5 doesn't do any of the above but touches on some of them slightly. vB3 from vB2 did all of the above, as did vB2 from vB1

MGM out

Comment

Whats this I hear you can get vb on PS3's and java phones???
            something about vB Falcon?

What is that?

Comment

I wonder if it's also symbolic of the being the gateway to vBCMS and other products
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I know the version number has also been explained but it may also represent versions that have been developed and completed in house but not released.

Anyway, I don't think the new version could warrent a 4.X.X title as the changes aren't completely revolutionary but evolutionary.

Comment

How about 3.999999999999999999999.23343344340?

Originally posted by Zachery
                  Sure you can. 3.10.1 3.10.2 3.10.3

3.99.1 works fine
                  Kim

Comment

I guess I can't take sides on this manner, but I will tell you what I do think.

The pros about vB 3.5 is I do believe this makes us a lot closer to vB 4 than vB 3.2 would have . Also it distinguishes a greater gap between the core of 3.0.x and 3.5 - so people can think they are taking a wider leap of faith installing older hacks. After all, doesn't 3.5 sound farther away from 3.0.x than 3.2 or 3.1 ? Plus it makes 3.5 look more revolutionary, but hey, with all the features, IT IS REVOLUTIONARY!

The cons about vB 3.5 is that it is so far away from vB 3.0.x that people would think that they missed a couple of updates. Plus it defies the standard Unix version numbering system.

Wibu has an interesting point though. There could be a couple of versions on MacVickers and Kiers computers that we never saw.

I do think that 3.5 is here for a reason. It could also be a secret message from the developers that they couldn't outright tell us because of the Jelsoft NDA.

Comment

Originally posted by James Kojiro
                      The cons about vB 3.5 is that it is so far away from vB 3.0.x that people would think that they missed a couple of updates. Plus it defies the standard Unix version numbering system.
                      For a software that started at 1.1.0 and skipped 2.1.x but used 2.3.x, I don't think they have a problem defying version numbering systems that they don't use.

Comment

I believe Jelsoft should do a George Lucas and release some prequel versions - vBulletin 0.0.9 for example. A trilogy of prequels. Imagine the hype and merchandising...

Comment

Originally posted by Martin
                          only because you haven't seen what's in store for vB 4
                          I HAVE, the entire forum is Flash based, and has a paperclip similar to that of microsoft word!
                          Young Computer Programmers Forum

Comment

The pros about vB 3.5 is I do believe this makes us a lot closer to vB 4 than vB 3.2 would have . Also it distinguishes a greater gap between the core of 3.0.x and 3.5 - so people can think they are taking a wider leap of faith installing older hacks. After all, doesn't 3.5 sound farther away from 3.0.x than 3.2 or 3.1 ? Plus it makes 3.5 look more revolutionary, but hey, with all the features, IT IS REVOLUTIONARY!
                            Well it was code refactoring so its evolutionary not exactly revolutionary.

Well the version checker will take care of that, and for what has happened the numbering fits.

Wibu has an interesting point though. There could be a couple of versions on MacVickers and Kiers computers that we never saw.
                            That's part of the course of development, lots of unused, tried tested, found a better way etc. Oh and Mike, Freddie and myself are devs too

Originally posted by Erwin
                            I believe Jelsoft should do a George Lucas and release some prequel versions - vBulletin 0.0.9 for example. A trilogy of prequels. Imagine the hype and merchandising...
                            Your not my moderator, I'll never run the board with you ...... <ensue large light saber battle>
                            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
                              Your not my moderator, I'll never run the board with you ...... <ensue large light saber battle>
                              Hah, that's good!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
                                "Some say that calling the next version 3.5 is... unnatural..."

"How does one get vB3.5... ?"

"... Not from a Jedi..."

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X