Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't vBulletin use 3.2 instead then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn't vBulletin use 3.2 instead then?

Why doesn't vBulletin use 3.2 instead then? It says no 3.1 because of lots of changes, which I still find kind of amusing anyways. I mean, doesn't matter what you are releasing, even if it has lots of changes, so they should still name it 3.1

People will be like 'do I have to upgrade ALL those versions to get to 3.5' etc.

Marketing. It's stupid, yes.
    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Skipping numbers happen all the time. Personally, since there are major changes (and backwards compatibility with hacks is scratched) I think 3.5 fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Kier
        We have decided to name this new version '3.5.0' rather than '3.1.0' because the code contains some rather fundamental changes at a core level in order to support some of the new features we have implemented, some of which I will describe briefly here.
        That works for me

Comment

Not for the many that quickly become confused.

I can just imagine the chaos on these forums...

"WTF [email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]!! Why does VBulletin Board hve so many bugs?!?!?? They rlsed v3.5 already and im only running v3.07?#%@!!!!!!!! OMG!!!"
          Please note that the quote above does not represent my own thoughts, only what I predict we will see a lot of on these forums. It's just a small example.

Also, yes Floris, I had already read that portion. I was criticizing it, too. I don't see why, even with so many new features, etc., that they would skip several versions. The only other time I have actually see this happen with a product was when Winamp moved from v3 to v5 - mostly because v3 was complete garbage, so their whole marketing scheme was to say that v5 included 'the best of both worlds - v2 and v3! Wow!'.

Comment

version numbers really shouldnt matter. Its the quality of the software and the features also ease of use. just like with games! graphics dont matter in the long run but gameplay and controls do!
            http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

I'm not here to rant and scream, just to say something like 'What the heck are they doing?'

If everyone did this kind of version jumping, imagine what a chaotic world we would live in Especially in the business-level.

Would be fun...

Comment

I don't think they did it for "fun", they only displayed some of the features that will change vB core more, as far as i know they having some critical changes in the template and integrating some other features to it, so in my opinion i guess it was a good idea to choose 3.5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Gary King
                  If everyone did this kind of version jumping, imagine what a chaotic world we would live in Especially in the business-level.
                  Microsoft Access 2.0's successor was Access 6.0
                  Microsoft Publisher 2.0's successor was Publisher 7.0
                  Microsoft Office applications now have a version of 11 even though the previous version was 9.X, except on the Mac.

Netscape Internet Browser went from 4.X to 6.0

Jumping version numbers is actually quite common in software development. Version numbers are completely arbitrary to the developer and the internal system they use. Most developers use them to signify major steps forward. This is what we did. There are a lot of core changes in vBulletin 3.5 that warrent such a large increase.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I'm down with whatever Kier says!

Even the fact that "my disco needs me!"

Comment

i think instead of using decimal ver #'s you should switch to binary

Comment

Originally posted by fire27
                        But the jump from 10 to 11 doesn't seem as big as from 1 to 10!

Comment

Originally posted by fire27
                          Actually it should be like vBulletin XP, or vBulletin Blackcombe.

Comment

By changing the version number from 3.0.x to 3.5 you are then limited if you include too many new features.

Imagine, a new version is out with more new features than the 3.5 but still using the 3.x scheme. You can't go over 3.9 as 3.10 is like 3.1.O aso ...

Comment

Sure you can. 3.10.1 3.10.2 3.10.3

3.99.1 works fine

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X