Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up DNS in Virtual Dedicated Server ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigunflame
    replied
    If you are using your own domain as the name servers, you have to add NS/A entries for your Domain.

You will also have to edit /etc/resolv.conf with the proper values if you want full compatability; for example my resolv.conf is:

domain bleach101.com
    search bleach101.com
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 66.45.225.98
    nameserver 66.45.225.99

where bleach101.com is the primary NS domain, 66.45.225.98 is ns1 and 66.45.225.99 is ns2

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    I know in whm, after you have setup the proper FNDQ for the hostname, you setup nameservers.

usually ns1 or ns and ns2 or ns1 .hostname.com

then you add an a name entry, and move on.

Leave a comment:

• Joseph777
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Anime
    you need to get the IP# from the host only they know what it is afterall. if the host has a FAQ page visit it. in h-sphere it tells you your IP and DNS your site is on. at least on a real server it does.
    Yup,

I got three IP addresses now. One is my main IP address. The other two are to be used to set up DNS. As far as how to do it, I am pulling my hair out, I have read about 10 tutorials written by retards. LOL. They should be called "stooptorials".

This is Hell!

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    ick, Plesk is a pesky system, I've never had any luck adminin it or using it well.

Good luck :/

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    Originally posted by Joseph777
    Well, according to them it is different on a dedicated server.

They are saying that I "create" my own DNS???

I know how the process "usually" works with shared hosting, but they are saying this is different...

I think I'll google it!

Keep the advice coming though!
    you need to get the IP# from the host only they know what it is afterall. if the host has a FAQ page visit it. in h-sphere it tells you your IP and DNS your site is on. at least on a real server it does.

Leave a comment:

• Joseph777
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    A great book on this subject is DNS and Bind from O'Reilly:
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/
    Thank you much, I will look into it.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    A great book on this subject is DNS and Bind from O'Reilly:
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/

Leave a comment:

• Joseph777
    replied
    Steve,

As far as I know, I am not using any program called "webhost manager". The only thing on my server is PLESK 7.5.2 and some vbulletin files that I am really looking forward to running an install script on.

I'm lost, I'm googling it.

But as far as I can tell, I am supposed to somehow create nameserver info in plesk and then go to my registrar and fill in the info there... how to do it exactly is evading me though. :\

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Are you using WebHost Manager on your server? If so, this is automatically handled.

Leave a comment:

• Joseph777
    replied
    Well, according to them it is different on a dedicated server.

They are saying that I "create" my own DNS???

I know how the process "usually" works with shared hosting, but they are saying this is different...

I think I'll google it!

Keep the advice coming though!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    i would ask your host what the IP#(s) is/are then you go to where the domain is registered and enter that info where it asks you to.

Leave a comment:

• Joseph777
    started a topic Setting up DNS in Virtual Dedicated Server ?

Setting up DNS in Virtual Dedicated Server ?

Hi all.

Does anybody know how to set up DNS on a virtual dedicated server?

When I started my account I just assumed my webhost would give me the DNS so I could point the domain to them, but I'm thinking it is something that I have to do? or create?

I use Plesk 7.5.2, Redhat Linux

Any help is REALLY, REALLY appreciated.

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X