Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up DNS in Virtual Dedicated Server ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up DNS in Virtual Dedicated Server ?

Hi all.

Does anybody know how to set up DNS on a virtual dedicated server?

When I started my account I just assumed my webhost would give me the DNS so I could point the domain to them, but I'm thinking it is something that I have to do? or create?

I use Plesk 7.5.2, Redhat Linux

Any help is REALLY, REALLY appreciated.

i would ask your host what the IP#(s) is/are then you go to where the domain is registered and enter that info where it asks you to.

Comment

Well, according to them it is different on a dedicated server.

They are saying that I "create" my own DNS???

I know how the process "usually" works with shared hosting, but they are saying this is different...

I think I'll google it!

Keep the advice coming though!

Comment

Are you using WebHost Manager on your server? If so, this is automatically handled.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve,

As far as I know, I am not using any program called "webhost manager". The only thing on my server is PLESK 7.5.2 and some vbulletin files that I am really looking forward to running an install script on.

I'm lost, I'm googling it.

But as far as I can tell, I am supposed to somehow create nameserver info in plesk and then go to my registrar and fill in the info there... how to do it exactly is evading me though. :\

Comment

A great book on this subject is DNS and Bind from O'Reilly:
            http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              A great book on this subject is DNS and Bind from O'Reilly:
              http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/
              Thank you much, I will look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph777
                Well, according to them it is different on a dedicated server.

They are saying that I "create" my own DNS???

I know how the process "usually" works with shared hosting, but they are saying this is different...

I think I'll google it!

Keep the advice coming though!
                you need to get the IP# from the host only they know what it is afterall. if the host has a FAQ page visit it. in h-sphere it tells you your IP and DNS your site is on. at least on a real server it does.

Comment

ick, Plesk is a pesky system, I've never had any luck adminin it or using it well.

Good luck :/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Anime
                    you need to get the IP# from the host only they know what it is afterall. if the host has a FAQ page visit it. in h-sphere it tells you your IP and DNS your site is on. at least on a real server it does.
                    Yup,

I got three IP addresses now. One is my main IP address. The other two are to be used to set up DNS. As far as how to do it, I am pulling my hair out, I have read about 10 tutorials written by retards. LOL. They should be called "stooptorials".

This is Hell!

Comment

I know in whm, after you have setup the proper FNDQ for the hostname, you setup nameservers.

usually ns1 or ns and ns2 or ns1 .hostname.com

then you add an a name entry, and move on.

Comment

If you are using your own domain as the name servers, you have to add NS/A entries for your Domain.

You will also have to edit /etc/resolv.conf with the proper values if you want full compatability; for example my resolv.conf is:

domain bleach101.com
                        search bleach101.com
                        nameserver 127.0.0.1
                        nameserver 66.45.225.98
                        nameserver 66.45.225.99

where bleach101.com is the primary NS domain, 66.45.225.98 is ns1 and 66.45.225.99 is ns2

Good luck.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X