Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much bandwith dose VB use

How much bandwith dose VB use?

My board only has 170 members and i use around 600- 900MB in bandwith per month.

If my board were to have 2400 members and Our users have posted a total of 158693 articles how much bandwith would be required?

I am asking beacuse some told me around 50 gig per month
    Cricket Talk
    All Your Aussie + World Cricket Talk

It is not possible to accurately predict given the huge number of variables involved. Assume it scales linearly for now, so that would be about 12 GB. However, you seem to be already using a great deal of bandwidth already for such a small user base; make sure you are optimizing your vB settings.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I will chek that out the only reason is that i ask is that a friend is running a phpbb board with 2400 members 158693 articles and has about 50 guest viewing his board at anyone time tells me that his board uses 50Gig worth of bandwith per month.
      Cricket Talk

Comment

What one site uses has little statistically to do with another. For example, I believe this site has a 1 TB bandwidth allocation each month and there are 76,041 members, which results in 13 MB/user average. In your case, it's 5 MB/user, and in my site, it's 1.6 MB/user. And that doesn't account for guests which are probably the majority of the traffic.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

hard to say as other folks have mentioned

monthly bandwidith = average page size (including txt/images) x average page loads/day x 30

and even that is skewed as some page content is cached in browser etc.

if you have a decent web stats tool provided with your hosting a/c you can see what the most visited pages are and largested pages visited by size etc.

75-90% of bandwidth usually comes from the top 5 visited pages of ones site i.e. front page is a biggy heh

Also if you allow attachments to be downloaded from your forum/site that that would add further to your bandwidth tally
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

thanks for the info
            Cricket Talk

Comment

Originally posted by badblu01
              I will chek that out the only reason is that i ask is that a friend is running a phpbb board with 2400 members 158693 articles and has about 50 guest viewing his board at anyone time tells me that his board uses 50Gig worth of bandwith per month.

It will depend on the kind of board he has and what he allows. For example, a forum like this, you dont see too many images uploaded to posts, but on a car forum, there are tons of pics, some of which get linked around to other sites.

My car forum, Lincoln vs Cadillac uses about 60gig a month but it is very very active. I have also done a variety of things to save bandwidth, such as making it so visitors cant see sigs.
              vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
              vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
              Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X