a little computer help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little computer help?

I don't know if you guys have some knowledge in hard disks, though my HD is doing a very weird sound "tack tack tack tack", I opened it to see (as everyone knows a HD inside is like a mirror-disk) and the little thing that reads it, I can't really know what the problem with it, it looks like the HD can't start fully running because the little things "i really don't know what it called" are stuck in the disk.

any suggestion? tommorrow i'm gonna take out the little things and put it back and test it again i guess

i really need to try saving my HD, i have some important information there (passwords, some designs i did that i really don't want to redo them)

You opened your HD?!?

Some hardware isn't suppose to be opened, especially in a home environment. Dust, finger oils and what not gets on those platters.........

Nevermind.

By opening the HD itself the HD can fail at any time now. The warnings about not opening it up aren't there for show, like the warnings in the back of the TV to not open it up are for (the capacitor charge in a TV can kill you instantly -- no useable parts!).

When it starts clicking, whirring loudly, and making grinding noises it's time to get another HD (they're very cheap now), mechanical failure is on the horizon -- and the sounds will be noticed before SMART monitoring will pick up problems too. The freezer trick and replacing the circuit board work arounds won't get around a disk failure.

The only solution after this experiment if all those "little things" fitted back won't work, is to send it to a forensic recovery facility and pay dearly to get the data recovered.

It's always cheaper to get another HD!

Chris
    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
    is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
    ~~~
    Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001
      You opened your HD?!?

Some hardware isn't suppose to be opened, especially in a home environment. Dust, finger oils and what not gets on those platters.........

Nevermind.

By opening the HD itself the HD can fail at any time now. The warnings about not opening it up aren't there for show, like the warnings in the back of the TV to not open it up are for (the capacitor charge in a TV can kill you instantly -- no useable parts!).

When it starts clicking, whirring loudly, and making grinding noises it's time to get another HD (they're very cheap now), mechanical failure is on the horizon -- and the sounds will be noticed before SMART monitoring will pick up problems too. The freezer trick and replacing the circuit board work arounds won't get around a disk failure.

The only solution after this experiment if all those "little things" fitted back won't work, is to send it to a forensic recovery facility and pay dearly to get the data recovered.

It's always cheaper to get another HD!

Chris
      I know lol, I shouldn't have opened it, but the last one I opened well I didn't do it decently nice (actually i smashed it with a hammer) (that was when i was kinda 13-14 n_n)

Anyway I keep trying, and the HD comes with a special "paper" on it to clean it O_o (somehow), I even turned the pc on with the HD opened (of course to see whats the big problem). hopefully it didn't blow up *yet...*

Comment

You want to commit suicide or something?

Home environments aren't labs. You don't have the tools, the safety gear, the clean rooms or even the technical expertise to be doing such things. My relative that's a trained computer tech with 20 years experience, who's also a certified electrician (and was also an auto mechanic -- yes, he has an IQ way over 160 with standard testing), doesn't even bother to repair HDDs. He will repair the monitors, resolder and even fix circuit boards, add capacitors, rework powersupply wiring and all, can go through telco wiring like it's sliced cheese (yes, Scott he's also colorblind), but even he doesn't bother to touch the platters -- even in the days when they cost a mint for just 200MBs.

Some things just aren't done.

Chris
        ~~~
        Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Home environments aren't labs. You don't have the tools, the safety gear, the clean rooms or even the technical expertise to be doing such things. My relative that's a trained computer tech with 20 years experience, who's also a certified electrician (and was also an auto mechanic -- yes, he has an IQ way over 160 with standard testing), doesn't even bother to repair HDDs. He will repair the monitors, resolder and even fix circuit boards, add capacitors, rework powersupply wiring and all, can go through telco wiring like it's sliced cheese (yes, Scott he's also colorblind), but even he doesn't bother to touch the platters -- even in the days when they cost a mint for just 200MBs.

Chris
          Relax ,

I'm going to buy a 160 GB HD(or maybe 200 GB), my brother have a distributor license thing, he have some access to some stores and get a lot of things cheap, he shall be my key to buy my new HD!, but i think i go with the testing, (no no its not because i like to see fireworks) its just because.. well. you know i'm a curious person >.>.

Comment

Chris
            I can assure you one won't die by opening a hard drive. And I doubt he would go through all the trouble to get those platters to slice his wrists

I am sure he is mature enough to understand that if he breaks the seal that says 'warranty voids if seal gets broken' that it is there for a reason.

There have been numerous times that I had to open a hard drive of a family member where we had to clean it up a bit to get out more data after the crash. It actually helped restore the data on several occassions. My family members and myself were fully aware of running the risk of causing more damage, but it really helped backup as much data as possible. They also learned a good lesson on poor quality hard drives and swapped brands.

To be honest, I personally think your reaction is a bit over the top, but I can understand it and appriciate you warning fellow users.

Comment

Sometimes it's just easier to call a pro and shell out a few bucks. Jeesh.

Comment

Sometimes when you call these so-called pros, sometimes they are less intelligent about computers than you are...
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                  I can assure you one won't die by opening a hard drive. And I doubt he would go through all the trouble to get those platters to slice his wrists
                  I even turned the pc on with the HD opened (of course to see whats the big problem). hopefully it didn't blow up *yet...*
                  Yes, Floris it maybe "over the top" but the commentary above says a lot as well. :shock:

Chris
                  ~~~
                  Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Yes, Floris it maybe "over the top" but the commentary above says a lot as well. :shock:

Chris
                    are you expecting the disk to fly or something? the disk is very well attached so i didn't worry that much or else i wouldn't have turn it on (duh).

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                    Sometimes when you call these so-called pros, sometimes they are less intelligent about computers than you are...
                    Thats so true >.<

Comment

No I was expecting your computer and maybe you to get a :shock:. There is a reason why there's a faceplate on HDDs, and it's not just to keep dust off. What's the spinrate of a modern HDD? And what's the chance of it generating static electricity at that rate?

But if losing more than a HDD for the fun to watch platters spin, well experience is the best teacher!

Chris
                      ~~~
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

curiosity killed the cat.

but luckily, the cat had 9 lives, and was able to gain knowledge from his experience.

in other words: you never really learn anything unless you make a few mistakes.

Comment

No I was expecting your computer and maybe you to get a :shock:. There is a reason why there's a faceplate on HDDs, and it's not just to keep dust off. What's the spinrate of a modern HDD? And what's the chance of it generating static electricity at that rate?

But if losing more than a HDD for the fun to watch platters spin, well experience is the best teacher!

Chris
                          it doesn't spin that fast IMHO, and i don't think the computer would do anything funny, since it only the HD not the processor or something else.
                          but it really doesn't matter there is always a solution to all *points at pc store >_<*

Originally posted by Bema Jinn
                          in other words: you never really learn anything unless you make a few mistakes.
                          indeed

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X