X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 8 Released

Seems that it came out of beta today
    http://www.opera.com/

I had a play with it whilst it was in beta and have to say I did enjoy it a lot. Particularly the voice recognition.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Cool, will download it. Thanks for letting us know.
    Photography :: Bird Information and Help

Comment

No problems Tailfeathers - so what does everyone else think?

Comment

so that was why opera was giving 8 beta away for free earlier today

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
          No problems Tailfeathers - so what does everyone else think?
          Haven't bothered with Opera since version 5. Not sure I want to look at a commercial fee-based browser at this time
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Firefox and Thunderbird are all I need

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Haven't bothered with Opera since version 5. Not sure I want to look at a commercial fee-based browser at this time
              The ads aren't that intrusive IMO. I'm an avid firefox user but the guys at opera have done a pretty nice job with the latest release. It appears to be very fast too

Comment

Just don't like ads in software. Don't use any software that implements them. However that is not the issue. I use a web browser to browse the web. Nothing more and nothing less. I get can get a perfectly good web browser with no ads and no fee. I don't need another web based email account or anything else they have to offer me. Until such time as they actually offer me something of value to either put up with ads or pay their registration fee, there is no reason for me to use their software.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Just don't like ads in software. Don't use any software that implements them. However that is not the issue. I use a web browser to browse the web. Nothing more and nothing less. I get can get a perfectly good web browser with no ads and no fee. I don't need another web based email account or anything else they have to offer me. Until such time as they actually offer me something of value to either put up with ads or pay their registration fee, there is no reason for me to use their software.
                  http://www.slickdeals.net/#p5986

Enter code OJD000MN to get Opera Browser v7.54 for free. An email with the license key will be sent. Final v8.0 is out but the license only works on v7.54 or v8.0 beta.
                  Webmaster / Administrator
                  www.MegaGames.com
                  www.MGForums.com

Comment

Doesn't really matter. I still can't see any incentive offered by the package to switch. It doesn't show up in my personal website access logs and I don't have any intention of catering to mobile devices at this time.

On the other hand, I am firm believer that a web browser is such basic technology that it should be part of the Operating System and completely integrated into the system so that I can load a webpage in any window or outside a window if need be.

I also believe that the vBulletin developers do use and test in Opera and since vBulletin is such a wide ranging application it is needed.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I'm a proud owner of Opera. Great software is worth paying for.

If it doesnt suit anyone for whatever reason, thats fine, but the browser is the best i've ever used. There's so many small things that make it such a nice experiance for any seriosly heavy net users and they've basicly been copied by others browsers for years but non that i've found come close.

I like FireFox too but not because its a better browser, but because its another choice and adds diversity to the web which i hope will trigger better standards compliance.

Version 7.x of Opera were pretty buggy tbh, Version 8 has seriosly improved that tho. You shouldnt really judge a new major version without really trying it.

News, IRC, Email, Web all in 1 4MB ish package, lovly.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemon
                        News, IRC, Email, Web all in 1 4MB ish package, lovly.
                        Maybe if they packaged the web browser by itself I would. I don't need News (never read them anyway), IRC (rarely use it) and Email (nothing on the market compares to Oulook 2003). I won't download the Netscape or Mozilla suites for this same reason. Having a separate browser, I might try it though would be nice if there is a trial period of 30 days or so without advertising so they can't track my usage.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Maybe if they packaged the web browser by itself I would. I don't need News (never read them anyway), IRC (rarely use it) and Email (nothing on the market compares to Oulook 2003). I won't download the Netscape or Mozilla suites for this same reason. Having a separate browser, I might try it though would be nice if there is a trial period of 30 days or so without advertising so they can't track my usage.
                          Opera are an honest company. When you first install it, you are asked whether it should display targeted ads (they track you) or whether it should just display random ads (they won't track you).

Opera 7 is/was a great browser. I eventually moved over to Firefox after having a few issues with it thought. I've upgraded my license to version 8 and I'll give it a whirl later - so far most people seem to like most of the changes!
                          Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
                          # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
                          # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                            Seems that it came out of beta today
                            http://www.opera.com/

I had a play with it whilst it was in beta and have to say I did enjoy it a lot. Particularly the voice recognition.
                            Not bad at all, seems much faster than previous versions. I might make use of the student discount, and just keep it for future uses.

Comment

Actually thats the reason i like it. I use IRC/News/RSS very rarly but i "do" use it sometimes and instead of having X number of large applications installed all the time or go through the bother of finding downloading installing every month or so, i know that i have a small client in my browser that will get me by for whatever i want.

With regard to email, i dont use it as heavily as alot ot people. Some people archive years of emails, sort and what not. I simple read and delete in 90% of cases so the light email client suits me fine too. I guess im a special case in how i find the browser suits my usage patterns perfectly, but the browser really is very good and there are other features i've not touched on.

Comment

Working...
                              X