why is AOL so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why is AOL so bad?

why exactly is AOL so bad? ive never used it so i dont know but i hear people bad mouthing it all the time.
    For all you game collectors

AOL isn't nearly as bad as people say it is. I've recently dumped it (since I've finally gotten cable), but in the 10+ years I used them for dial-up, I can honestly say I only had one major issue with them, and it was quickly taken of.

The actual problems that plague AOL are the fact that it's based on modified IE coding, so just about everything doesn't work with its browser. Also, AOL tends to think it's an OS, and, as such, tries to take control of everything on your computer, from e-mail to virus protection. As such, it often starts up by itself, especially when you don't want it too

Overall, it's expensive, yes, but not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
    Forums

Comment

Originally posted by biagrin
      why exactly is AOL so bad? ive never used it so i dont know but i hear people bad mouthing it all the time.
      Historically and still recently, AOL tends to follow its own closed standards instead of those widely accepted by other Internet applications.

I don't know why people think AOL is easy to use. The UI it gives you is so cluttered and multiwindowed that I don't know how you can find anything.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I had AOL a long time ago.

The interface was very cluttered, as mentoned above. It had a ton of buttons you didn't even want, it forced you to keep certain Windows open such as the main AOL Window and the Welcome Window, the IM Service which was built in was extremely lightweight, and you couldnt customise it at all.

It disconnected me a lot too, but I was on dial-up, so you can imagine. Although, in it's defense, the download speeds were VERY good.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesyfx
          The interface was very cluttered, as mentoned above. It had a ton of buttons you didn't even want, it forced you to keep certain Windows open such as the main AOL Window and the Welcome Window, the IM Service which was built in was extremely lightweight, and you couldnt customise it at all.
          Most of this has changed over the years. Now the interface is pretty customizable and gives you the features you want where you need them. Don't know. AOL isn't for me but mainly because of price, not the technology. I had them back in the early 90s before web access was widespread.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

The chatrooms are filled with dummies who have no idea how to get rid of the virus that that their AOL software is constantly spamming on it's own in the same chatroom. Some of these idiots seem to have no clue that they have that virus even when they are shown what the virus has typed in the chatroom using their screen name.

The latest version of AOL also seems like it's trying to make that the OS on your computer. It places a icon in the tray that is almost impossible to get rid of, it installs a toolbar on below IEs as well as a toolbar on the taskbar. It also installs worthless other programs without asking your permission.

My brother ordered one of those $299 AOL computers, it is his first pc. It's not a bad computer even though it has a AOL logo on the front of it. It's what AOL does to the computer that is the bad thing, the desktop is all AOL related garbage. Unfortunately he won't let me format the thing and install omly XP. That computer is a nightmare.
            http://www.icecreamforum.com

Comment

AOL is probably just considered bad because so many n00bs use it .

Comment

Originally posted by Icheb
                AOL is probably just considered bad because so many n00bs use it .
                Thats not untrue. As a person who was a netizen before some of these Jelsoft programmers were out of diapers (yes there WAS an internet in the 80s, thank you), we saw the internet change from an intellectual shared environment where you were pretty much safe with open protocols to the rather dangerous spam filled hostile environment it can be today.

And in the late 80's early 90's, many of the worst problem people on the internet (at the time) were from AOL who were simply too dangerous to be trusted on the net as it was.

Comment

I use AOL UK for my broadband connection and the only thing I don't like is their tech support and how they don't like to listen, if you have any problems whatsoever they always try to blame it on spyware. Spyware might be a problem but it wont stop my modem/router from connecting to the service. The problem I was having with connecting was actually BT's fault from when they installed our new line and it took between 3 and 4 weeks to be solved due to ignorant tech support and a dim witted BT engineer who instantly blamed my filters.

Their software doesn't really concern me because I'm using a router to connect and not their hardware. The speed of my connection is great though and I have no complaints about it now, especially as they're doubling everyone's speeds.

Comment

1. The software is is kinda crappy. Every now and then something with the AOL software will screw up, either the internet won't work, buddy list won't open, AOL will close for no reason, etc. My computer also freezes at random when I'm using AOL, but I don't know if AOL has anything to do with it.

2. There internet explorer is crap. The forward and back buttons don't work for some reason.

3. I wish they didn't add features, then remove those features in the next version.

4. I also wish when replying to e-mails it would leave the original message in the e-mail like every single other e-mail service does.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Comment

As mentioned above, I think the newbie factor is the biggest thing that turns people away from it.

AOL in general (especially v9) is a complete memory hog as well.
                      Webmaster / Administrator
                      www.MegaGames.com
                      www.MGForums.com

Comment

I have only had one major problem with AOL, and that was easily fixed with an update
                        It is pricey but I don't have to pay for it as my parents do that

Comment

Open protocols of BMP where it took 45 minutes to download (1) file?? And everyone had to go through an OLP (remember Genie?) or BBS service, there were no browsers, and graphic web pages didn't exist -- Think Linux and 16 colors. It was like a giant FTP service with a chat room (they were mature because computers then were for adults, you either had to build one yourself, or could afford it and know how to operate it -- when computing training was nominal. The local bookshop didn't have a special section on Computing, you'd be lucky to find one for understanding BASIC. Schools were just starting to teach it. You learned by literally hacking, "what does this do?").

My relative got onto AOL before it had 250,000 people (he even uses his first name as a nick, without extra numbers/letters), because what it offered then compared to every other service (including Genie, which was the largest in the 80s). That part is often lost in this history revision -- OLP existed long before AOL, and AOL came as an extension of it because the community was looking for more bells and whistles than a modem handshake. In those days you can rack up $400 month phone bills to download your stuff. AOL came with a better rate (and eventually local phone numbers), which made it popular to EVERYONE. It didn't just become #1 because of CDs, you know?

He's been in computing now for over 20 years, from soldering his first computer together, to now setting up office networks and maintaining a DSL network. He's no "n00b", nor was he one when he signed up for AOL. He still keeps it because of the mail, as it's so accessible from everywhere and about anything (waiting for toasters to be AOL mail ready ). Why I still keep it despite having broadband as well.

Folks often slam AOL like they slam MS and Bill Gates. It's because they're big or because, "my bud sez they're unkewl so they're unkewl" scenerio. Often it's to show others they're l33t. Those who remember when AOL first came online, remember it very differently than folks do now. Yeah, AOL has their problems, but every service does too. Try finding a broadband provider that isn't getting the same dissing. Comcrap's not any better without the eye candy (especially with their DNS woes now).

Chris
                          "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                          is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                          ~~~
                          Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

my view of AOL comes from a customer who hated the service namley myself.
                            1) i hated the fact that i had a virus on my first day on dialup with it and had to reformat my WIN 95 machine.

2) the billing was always off and always in their favor.

3) the speed was way too slow 28.8K on my 95 machine witch i upgraded to 95SE then finally 98SE no major speed boost but 32K was better than 28K

4) when i decided i had enough i had to reformat AGAIN to get rid of the AOL files as they auto installed in the WINDOWS dir on my HD and wouldnt delete.

when i switched to earthlink i noticed the pc didnt crash and my connection ranged from 52K to 54.5K

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Anime
                              when i switched to earthlink i noticed the pc didnt crash and my connection ranged from 52K to 54.5K
                              So Earthlink violates Federal Law which caps Dial-Up speeds at 53K Baud? This is hardcoded into modems and requires changes to the firmware to bypass.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X