[HOW-TO] Backup/restore using phpMyAdmin/SSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread ought to be stickied.
    "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Excellent post. Thanks
      :cool:arab gsm community:cool:

Comment

Great tutorial, thanks alot guys!

Comment

You're quite welcome! I'm just glad that it helps alot.
          Metal Gear Forums - Discussion on the popular series of computer and console stealth-based games.

My Mods: Coming Soon | My Tutorials: Coming Soon

Comment

can any one help out with this resotre problem ?
            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159694

Comment

The link you've posted is broken for some reason.
              Metal Gear Forums - Discussion on the popular series of computer and console stealth-based games.

Comment

Hi,
                I got a question.
                If you backedup from the Vbulletin 3.0.8 verseion, now the restoration is bein on 3.5.0 will that work...?
                thank you

Comment

Yes that will work but be careful while upgrading though.

Comment

This is what im typing and it says no file or directory, I have uploaded the file to the ftp and it is there in that directory, so i think im doing the syntax wrong in the SSH mysql -u username -p database_name < /public_html/backup.sql

then i press enter and it says "No such file or directory"

Its probably something simple, but i've tried every combination i can think, even put the same file in multiple directories and tried them all, but still no luck
                    Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

The path is wrong:

/public_html/backup.sql

Just change to the directory containing the backup file and leave off the path.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by hornstar6969
                        This is what im typing and it says no file or directory, I have uploaded the file to the ftp and it is there in that directory, so i think im doing the syntax wrong in the SSH mysql -u username -p database_name < /public_html/backup.sql
                        Couple of things to look for:
                        1. Steve is right as long as you occupy the appropriate relative path while using SSH (e.g what dir you're in while invoking restore). Best to always use a full filepath, e.g.:
                          /home/username/public_html/backup/backup.sql

That way it doesn't matter what dir you're in.

2. Assuming you are dumping to a /backup directory, this dir must be readable and writeable (usually 666 or 777). And in which case, it might pay to be more frugal security-wise by not having /backup in the public_html directory at all and locating it at:
                          /home/username/backup/backup.sql

(not a good idea to chmod /public_html to 777)
                        "I can't seem to bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.'
                        It isn't that I can't toddle. It's that I can't guess I'll toddle."

--Robert Benchley (1889-1945)

Comment

Thanks guys, I got it to work by simply removing the / so it was < public.... and I updated one of my websites ok

Then i went to do my larger database for my other host and i got this error after a min or so

'max_allowed_packet'

I tried it again and get Table 'affiliates' already exists so It must have been working and then im thinking the host must have a limit of packets sent.

Do I need to contact my host to fix this, or is there an option in the Putty program that im using to fix this.

Thanks
                          Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

Edit/Bump

I think I found out the problem, in my admincp where it tells you some stats it says this

MySQL Packet Size 1.00 MB

Therefore I cant upload attachments bigger then 1mb or do my restore myself through SSH because of the MySQL Packet Size 1.00 MB limit

Has anyone else had this problem b4, I'm going to contact my host and see if i can get it removed or at least made bigger.

But if they wont, then is there any other options, or is finding a new host my best option.

thanks

Comment

please help. I've to move a db from MySQL 4.1.14 to 3.23.58. I've backed up using phpmyadmin and restored using SSH. The problem is that restoring give me many errors like

Code:
                              ERROR 1064 at line 19: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' at line 6
                              So I've removed all the references to ENGINE and latin1. The import was succesful but the db is messed up and give me many errors like

Code:
                              Warning: First argument to array_keys() should be an array in /includes/functions.php on line 3212

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /includes/functions.php on line 3212
                              Any suggestion? Thanks

Comment

You are supposed to restore the database using phpMyAdmin since you have backed up using phpMyAdmin and not Shell.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X