No announcement yet.

Mac Or PC - The Show Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To best of my knowledge Macs can only run Mac OS .
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

There are other operating systems that can run on Mac hardware.

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

Comment

As soon as I have the money: MAC!
        I'm getting pretty tired of PC.

Comment

Like many other Mac owners, for those (Windows) users who say that the Mac has less software - so, what? Windows might have, say, 500,000 software titles (just a random number) and the Mac might have about 50,000 or less, but are you going to use all of those programs? Of course not. I guarantee.

Also, think about this (as I did - I just purchased my first Mac a few days ago.) A lot of Windows programs are system utilities such as 'registry cleaners', 'disk optimizers', 'adware/spyware cleaners', and one of my favorite Windows utilities - 'CCleaner (Crap Cleaner)'. And don't forget the favorite antivirus software! AVG is my favorite, but many also use Norton. I'm sure it will protect you from the tens of thousands of viruses available - for free - for Windows. Oh, did I mention you don't need any of these on a Mac? You could argue that some you do, but be practical now. You don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary King
            <virus spyware progs>... Oh, did I mention you don't need any of these on a Mac?
            You don't need them on the PC either as long as you know what you are doing.

You need to qualify your argument as only applying to PC users who don't know how to avoid viruses and spyware, otherwise your position is too broad and subject to rebuttals like mine.

Comment

I want an PC with the Design of the Macs.

If a mac mini has now (or near future) "intel inside" can i intall XP on it???

Comment

Originally posted by EINS
                I want OS X with the interface of OS 9. Damn that would be hot.

Comment

Originally posted by patriotcow
                  Expensive, and pc's do more! You can run any OS on other machines, cheaper parts and anything really.
                  How exactly do PCs "do more"? The only thing PCs beat Macs in is gaming. Anything you need to do, Mac has a program for.

Comment

Like many other Mac owners, for those (Windows) users who say that the Mac has less software - so, what? Windows might have, say, 500,000 software titles (just a random number) and the Mac might have about 50,000 or less, but are you going to use all of those programs? Of course not. I guarantee
                    Well, not even that, you just have to evaluate what software you plan to use, and the quality of that software across the two platforms.

For me, I ran nothing on Windows that's Windows-specific so trying OS X was mostly risk-free, and cheap(er) thanks to the mini. I've now found that I don't need Windows at all, and having the power of Unix was well worth reformatting my x86's with Ubuntu. That's not going to be everybody's experience. Some people will work better with OS X than Windows and vice-versa, so it's silly for anyone to claim, "This is completely better than anything else." Better for you, perhaps, but that's not going to be everyone's experience.

There are things objectively wrong on both ends, you just have to look at it and evaluate how it translates to your needs and go from there.

Whatever floats your boat.
                    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by EINS

If a mac mini has now (or near future) "intel inside" can i intall XP on it???
                      Apple says they don't plan on preventing people from installing Windows on their Macs, so I guess nothing will stop someone from trying, at least.

How that works out will be interesting.
                      TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                        How exactly do PCs "do more"? The only thing PCs beat Macs in is gaming. Anything you need to do, Mac has a program for.
                        More things available, I just don't like macs. The layout is weird. Definitly overprices, why pay more?

Comment

They're not overpriced for what they do.

And you just said the only reason Macs suck is because you just don't like them because of their layout and their price .

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                            And you just said the only reason Macs suck is because you just don't like them because of their layout and their price .
                            I never said only anywhere, I gave 1 reason but never said thats the only reason.

for what they do.
                            Why what do they do that other PC's don't do?

Comment

Just some decent reading.... I'm sure there are links that will point the other direction. But this seems to be the typical response to why macs can cost a bit more. You do tend to get a bit more.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/36120.html
                              http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/004946.php
                              http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...nges/index.php

I will admit that my cinema display was a bit overpriced. Since I have purchased mine the price has been cut by a few hundred. Still an expensive monitor but it works great.

And I do still have my PC. I am not a windows hater. I used windows for many years and really did not have a ton of problems. Never had a virus or a trojan, 2000 pro and XP pro rarely crashed. I've just grown to like OS X and how my mac works better.

And as far as "all my software is for PC"... The majority of software companies will upadte your software for a minimal fee. A lot of times just shipping costs, or very small upgrade fee.

The bottom line is use what you like
                              Bob- (pank)
                              pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

Comment

Originally posted by georgec
                                I've wanted to get a Mac notebook, but the seemingly lack of software, apart from the main productivity software, is the main deterrant. I'd like to use the notebook to install interesting programs you find on Download.com for example, and most are Win only.
                                In regards to lack of software, there is alot of software for the Mac that will get any job that you would do on the Windows done. Possibly small opensource software such as those released by individuals may not be available but there are other softwares. On download.com search downloads available on Mac.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X