Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed width vs Full screen styles - Can someone explain the +/-?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MGM
    OMG Floris... if you could show me how you did that or provide a tutorial, you will be my favorite vB.org team member! I've been trying to figure this out for myself for ages...

MGM out
    Floris? I believe that's Filburt!
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
      Floris? I believe that's Filburt!
      Fixed Sorry about that, I mistake them two often actually

MGM out

Comment

Thanks

Thank you Steve,

I would never have found that without your link, or thought of looking that up. This board is like a giant forest with a different perspective as soon as you turn around... I shall study this in detail.

Comment

I thought you were still running the stable release, my bad.

Comment

Say you want 800px in size just change the 800px to 80% so it looks the same but bigger in others then.

Comment

Personally I prefer liquid styles, simply because my primary monitor runs at 1920 x 1200 and I never run browser windows maximized - I therefore prefer styles that adapt themselves to fit the window size I want at that particular time, rather than being constrained by a fixed width that forces me to have browser windows at a particular size.

Comment

My monitor may not run as high res as Kier's but I still like liquid designs more. Fixed just bother me because of the extra space on either side that is going to waste but could have been used.

Comment

Not a particularly convincing argument

Is this:
                  Originally posted by Jeramy
                  Fixed just bother me because of the extra space on either side that is going to waste but could have been used.
                  In keeping with that statement you'd prefer to read an oversized book too If you had a desk that was 6 feet wide, wouldn't you?

Just because a screen is 1920 x 1200 as in Kier's case does not mean you must make vb so wide that a single line contains the content of three normal lines on a 1024 x 768 monitor. And apart from that, most normal books have lines that are between 12 and 18 words each, some condensed text books maybe more, but on a screen of Kier's size you'd easily get between 50 and 70 words per line. That is NOT normal and in fact most people's reading speed would slow down by the resultant ocean of text. If you were to read a long text with not too many paragraph divisions on that kind of a screen I am 100% certain you would NOT finish reading it. It is intimidating to see so much text in front of you. So having a super wide screen is NOT always beneficial, certainly not for text. It is good for Graphics programs and for people with just too many programs open on the desktop or those that want 500 icons there.

PS - On my monitor (1024 x 768) this contribution already weighs in at between 25 and 30 words per line. For a forum I suppose that is ok, but for regular use as in long articles, study materials etc., it simply is too wide.
                  Last edited by Polinco; Fri 8th Jul '05, 10:21am.

Comment

I think the point is being missed a little here - taking the desk metaphor from Polinco, no of course I don't want an oversized book because I have a large desk - on the contrary, I have a large desk so that I can put lots of normal sized books on it. I never run windows maximized to 1920 x 1200 - that makes them ridiculous.

The reason I like liquid layouts is that they don't tie me to a size. If i want to scrunch up the layout to fit into 700 pixels wide I can, but I'm not committed to that size.

Comment

To illustrate:

Horrible:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	fixed.png
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	3666908

Horrible:

Name:	liquid.png
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	3666909

Lovely:

Name:	regular.png
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	3666910

Comment

And just while we're on the subject of lovely, here's the full 5120 x 1200 desktop...

Name:	huge.png
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	3666911

Comment

We really need a :drool: smiley here.

If I could just touch a desktop like that... just once....
                          ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kier
                            And just while we're on the subject of lovely, here's the full 5120 x 1200 desktop...

[ATTACH]15174[/ATTACH]
                            Do a print screen of my site full size in your window, would mind knowing how it looks stretched

Comment

Originally posted by Kier

[ATTACH]15174[/ATTACH]
                              Hahaha, ****in awesome

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by patriotcow
                                Do a print screen of my site full size in your window, would mind knowing how it looks stretched
                                Which site would that be? I went to quacked.co.uk but didn't see a liquid style to grab.

Here's my desk, btw...
                                Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X