Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bglynn
    replied
    I have had the same things on my board. They started registering a couple weeks ago but I didn't notice - I get dozens of registrations a day. A username cought my eye yesterday and I investigated to find 20 or so of these .biz registrations, one that had posted a couple test messages. I then deleted all the registrations and turned image verification back on. I don't like using it because SO many of my users are so utterly stupid, that it prompts emails and phone calls for troubleshooting. Anyway, it did no good. I had two more registrations and the same canned spam, posted. So much for image verification being any kind of help.

I banned all .biz emails, since I only have 2 of 7500 users actually using one. The IP and domains are the same as listed above. luckily so far they are all very easy to filter. Funny, they are probably reading these forums right now to gain insights and adapt. I expect non .biz domains next.

Leave a comment:

• edshuck
    replied
    I need to know that as well. I just dumped him/her. A couple of years ago, during one of these that was really crazed, the theory was to edit the user masks to deny all posting rights.

I wonder what that would do to a bot? Anyone know?

Soon to find out. bart224 just registered and is awaiting eMail confirmation with the standard ip and the lightblondvagina.biz and the mid pacific time zone.

Later.
    Last edited by edshuck; Thu 17 Mar '05, 8:11pm.

Leave a comment:

• MJM
    replied
    I got one yesterday from...

[email protected]

Note the IP is the same as in previous post

As I've never had to ban an email addy or IP yet, what would be suggested here... ban the addy, or IP.

This user hasn't posted in yet.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• edshuck
    replied
    Yep, it started. Sure as KFC fries chicken. Here is the one i got.

Got to go clean forum.

ed

eMail [email protected]

ip 200.73.174.183

Hello,norberto492 has just posted in the Federal Politics forum of Noe Valley Forums under the title of Hi Guys. First Time Poster.This thread is located at http://www.noevalley.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=658Here is the message that has just been posted:***************Hi guys. First time poster long time reader.Just wanted to say "Hi" On a side note my Hubby is REAL excited aboutthis new IPO stock GRDX. They just started tradingthis one like 2 days ago. It's already almostdoubled in just 2 days! My Husband is reallyexcited about this stock. Say's it could make us some really BIG money. You guys should check it out.Just spreading the wealth Go to http://www.otcbb.com and check symbol : GRDX you will see how big thegrowth is Let me know what you guys think ***************
    Last edited by edshuck; Thu 17 Mar '05, 4:18pm.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Here's more spam:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...wpost&t=133313

Leave a comment:

• Alex Apple
    replied
    This lot were doing the rounds a month or so ago - my site escaped the first wave but we had a similar registration yesterday (from a bagelsandcreamcheese.biz email address).

There's a thread this board somewhere, and on TAZ, giving more details and potential IP numbers to ban.

If it is a bot, it's managed to get round both image verification and email confirmation on my site.

Leave a comment:

• TVB
    replied
    Well, had I scanned a few more posts down after searching .biz, I would discovered this tidbit: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...&highlight=biz

Betsy
    ---tottering off to just ban the m*f*.

Leave a comment:

• edshuck
    replied
    I do not know but hopefully someone here will.

Leave a comment:

• TVB
    replied
    I am facing the same situation. A user with the domain lightblondvagina.biz registered with an IP I had been watching because it seemed to be a bot trying to register for several days now. We use image and email verification so whoever it is was definitely determined.

New users don't get PM or member list info until at least 5 days or 5 posts have passed, which keeps most of the voyeurs at bay but this one seems to have patience. Our forums deals with some sensitive issues and we do get creeps wandering in occassionally and the 5 day "probation" period almost always loses them.

To see if it really was a legit email address, I sent the following to the address used:

My name is <removed> and I am the administrator of the <removed> forums.

Due to the email address you used to register, I have placed you on moderation. With moderation, all of your posts will need to be cleared by a moderator before they will be shown. Additionally, you will be unable to access member profiles and private messaging. If you attempt to circumvent the moderation process by registering under another URL without contacting me first, I will be forced to ban your IP.

The reasons behind this are simple. The main one is the domain name which itself is two fold. Can you tell me more about "lightblondvagina.biz"?

We also frown upon .biz emails as they almost always are from spammers. This is not implying that is your intent, but our goals are to keep integrity in our community; until a member using an email with a .biz extension proves they are not spamming, moderation is in place.

Feel free to send feedback if my concerns are mistaken.

Can you tell me why you joined our forum? And what you hope to gain from it?
    The IP traces back to Argentina and while we are an international site, most never register from a custom domain because it's not a tech site at all. I don't think more than a few have their own sites.

I came searching for a way to simply ban all .biz emails so may as well ask it here until I find a better place to.

Will simply banning @.biz work?

Thanks,

Betsy

Leave a comment:

• edshuck
    replied
    What was the url of the spammer? and/or the ip?

I hesitate to post my potential since he has not shown himself to be a spammer yet.

Leave a comment:

• golfer adam
    replied
    Originally posted by ethank

What is with the amount of board spammers lately?
    I have been wondering that myself at are golf forum there is usually nothing but this week some guy signed up and posted like 10 ebay links in 5 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• ethank
    replied
    We had a bunch of .biz registrations this morning from a spammer. I just banned that domain from registering, which seems to have abated it for a bit.

What is with the amount of board spammers lately?

Leave a comment:

• edshuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BrentWilson
    Mostly likely just a bot. Do you have image verification on? Email activation. Check the email address and see if it is valid.
    GOOD questions and yes to all three. I sent an eMail and did not get a bot reply (bounced eMail) so I guess it is going through. Any other way to check.

Leave a comment:

• BamaStangGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by edshuck
    If / when spam starts, I will immediately report the ip and the userid to this forum.

Until then I can only wait.
    Mostly likely just a bot. Do you have image verification on? Email activation. Check the email address and see if it is valid.

Leave a comment:

• edshuck
    replied
    If / when spam starts, I will immediately report the ip and the userid to this forum.

Until then I can only wait.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X