No announcement yet.

I suspect a spam a-comin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh I too got the same message from same IP. I immediately banned IP, @domain

Comment

I have to state that it is possible to get around the image thing but you DO need a person to type in what the image is. So its probably a bot that does the filling in of the form, presents the image to the user and the user enters the text and the bot continues on spamming.

Total time is probably 5 seconds for human interaction.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I had many of the same problems. So I banned the .biz email, turned image verification back on(didn't seem to do much good before) and reinstated a huge list of banned IPs.
        TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

I have to state that it is possible to get around the image thing but you DO need a person to type in what the image is. So its probably a bot that does the filling in of the form, presents the image to the user and the user enters the text and the bot continues on spamming.
          OK, but as you can see it's irritating a lot of us, is there any plan to develop any extra security measures to stop the onslaught we (and probably you, on these boards) are getting, other than moderate all new users posts which is even more time consuming?

Comment

I had an Argentinian one yesterday....nuked it immediately.
            Homes-Spain

Comment

i had a few .biz's but they were foiled by NTLDR's no url hack for less than XX posts i think

Comment

Originally posted by digitalhome
                I'm getting 4 or 5 a day now.

I only want users from Canada and US so I've put 200.73 in the banned IP. Hope I haven't lost some people!
                I visited your homepage. I noticed your forum was hit by a spammer.
                Did the user have some name with solar in it?? that's all i can remember.

i see the posts were removed.

Comment

Originally posted by biggazillakilla
                  Just my opinion, Ed, but I think it would be a good idea to edit out some of the details, as posting the entire message helps get the word out for this spammer.

I don't mean this in the wrong way, of course, but I assume you know that and remember me.
                  your site's been hit by the spammer. I've checked it just now.

Comment

I am thinking the thing to do is leave the spammer registered, deny posts to all forums, and then remove the spam that is on the site, post here to let folks know the characteristics,

See anything wrong with the plan?
                    Ed Shuck
                    noevalley.com

Comment

I deleted 2 of these from one site and one from another site. They had registered within minutes of each other. I banned the IP and .biz

Comment

I just got hit by a spammer too, , they joined 3-10 and posted a test post and then posted the spam on the 16th.

The IP Address is: 200.73.174.183. The host name is: 183.174.73.200.netizen.com.ar.

Hi guys. First time poster long time reader.
                        Just wanted to say "Hi"

On a side note my Hubby is REAL excited about
                        this new IPO stock GRDX. They just started trading
                        this one like 2 days ago. It's already almost
                        doubled in just 2 days! My Husband is really
                        excited about this stock. Say's it could make us
                        some really BIG money. You guys should check it out.
                        Just spreading the wealth
                        Go to http://www.otcbb.com
                        and check symbol : GRDX you will see how big the
                        growth is Let me know what you guys think

also, appears to be coming from here http://www.whois.sc/hottamlideals.biz
                        Last edited by hotshot; Fri 18 Mar '05, 4:58pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar

Total time is probably 5 seconds for human interaction.
                          Yeah, and an easy way for the robot to find you... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+by+vbulletin

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot
                            The IP Address is: 200.73.174.183. The host name is: 183.174.73.200.netizen.com.ar.
                            Same dude, he's probably unemployed and sitting at home.
                            So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Originally posted by hotshot
                              Yeah, and an easy way for the robot to find you... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...d+by+vbulletin
                              I've got that removed, and I've been getting hit.

Edit: This is funny (in a bad way). I checked the stock indicated in the spam, and it's up 50% in the last five days! Pump and dump, baby!
                              Last edited by biggazillakilla; Fri 18 Mar '05, 8:42pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunlight
                                your site's been hit by the spammer. I've checked it just now.
                                Care to tell me where? I've gone through the forum pretty carefully and haven't seen a single post.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X