Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    I have to state that it is possible to get around the image thing but you DO need a person to type in what the image is. So its probably a bot that does the filling in of the form, presents the image to the user and the user enters the text and the bot continues on spamming.

Total time is probably 5 seconds for human interaction.

Leave a comment:

• pingme
    replied
    Oh I too got the same message from same IP. I immediately banned IP, @domain

Leave a comment:

• trekwarfare
    replied
    Got my site too, alex356 or something. Just deleted the post and user and banned the bangelandcreamcheese.biz email addy.

Have to wait and see if I get anymore.

Leave a comment:

• bglynn
    replied
    Actually, what we NEED is a registration system to prevent BOTs.

Leave a comment:

• digitalhome
    replied
    We need to stop this at the source. See my post here and lets stop these spammers.

Leave a comment:

• bplinson
    replied
    Originally posted by digitalhome
    I'm getting 4 or 5 a day now.

I only want users from Canada and US so I've put 200.73 in the banned IP. Hope I haven't lost some people!
    Sounds like a good idea especially if you do not have any members from Argentina. I am doing the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• sydude
    replied
    I just got two registrations with that IP address, but from the bagelandccreamcheese.biz address. They posted one of those stock pick posts. Time to ban the IP I guess.
    Last edited by sydude; Mon 3 Jul '06, 8:18am.

Leave a comment:

• digitalhome
    replied
    I'm getting 4 or 5 a day now.

I only want users from Canada and US so I've put 200.73 in the banned IP. Hope I haven't lost some people!

Leave a comment:

• bplinson
    replied
    I've got him also with different username but same IP and b-day

gonzalo226
    [email protected]

reinaldo962
    [email protected]

I blocked IP and .biz email registration. I only have one legit user with .biz

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    I'm going to put a bug ticket in this and get a dev to follow up on this to see what's going on. Because this is starting to become a progressive problem.

I've counted two usernames:

enrique249
    [email protected]
    DOB: Jan 1 1969
    IP:200.73.174.183

marcelino894
    [email protected]
    DOB: Jan 1 1969

Bug Submitted: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs....iew&bugid=3926
    Last edited by ManagerJosh; Fri 18 Mar '05, 1:47am.

Leave a comment:

• mbaskett
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    I'm really wondering if it is a BOT. Because the IP matches the Server IP.
    I believe you are correct on this one. I have seen two registrations in the past two days that use this very same IP address. Both passed e-mail and image verification, and both seem to have the similar username makeup... semi-common name followed by 3 digits. Both came from the .biz domain, but the most interesting thing about the accounts they both registered at EXACTLY noon.

As for me, my site doent' get alot of traffic, so both accounts were immediately banned, and '.biz' added to the banned e-mail addresses. Hopeflully that will put it at bay, but I fear that if this is a bot or automated script, that it can be sold/shared with other spammers, and further developed to be much more of a PITA to hold at bay...

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    I'm really wondering if it is a BOT. Because the IP matches the Server IP.

Leave a comment:

• biggazillakilla
    replied
    Just my opinion, Ed, but I think it would be a good idea to edit out some of the details, as posting the entire message helps get the word out for this spammer.

I don't mean this in the wrong way, of course, but I assume you know that and remember me.

Originally posted by edshuck
    Yep, it started. Sure as KFC fries chicken. Here is the one i got.

Got to go clean forum.

ed

eMail [email protected]

ip 200.73.174.183

Hello,norberto492 has just posted in the Federal Politics forum of Noe Valley Forums under the title of Hi Guys. First Time Poster.This thread is located at http://www.noevalley.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=658Here is the message that has just been posted:***************Hi guys. First time poster long time reader.Just wanted to say "Hi" On a side note my Hubby is REAL excited aboutthis new IPO stock XX. They just started tradingthis one like 2 days ago. It's already almostdoubled in just 2 days! My Husband is reallyexcited about this stock. Say's it could make us some really BIG money. You guys should check it out.Just spreading the wealth Go to http://www. X X.com and check symbol : X X you will see how big thegrowth is Let me know what you guys think ***************

Leave a comment:

• HexOnxOnx
    replied
    I had one of these on my all but dead forum yesterday and I now had another register all with the same email. The one yesterday got in a post identical to the one posted on this forum here. I did ban the users and the IP.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Apparently that guy has no limits...

He struck my forum today...

[email protected]

Edit: O, and I traced the IP, and it goes back to Argentina.....near a town called "Moron"

Edit 2: Everyone submit a complaint about the bakedpotato guy over at http://www.enom.com/help/abusepolicy.asp

It's his domain registrar....and hopefully they'll make his life miserable.
    Last edited by ManagerJosh; Thu 17 Mar '05, 9:15pm.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X