Forums on a Corporate Intranet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums on a Corporate Intranet

We are preparing to launch a forum on our corporate intranet (about 1,200 employees). What experiences do other people have with similar situations?

How much do such forums get used? What types of forums are most useful? For example, are forums about particular projects useful? What about those for individual departments? What would you guess is probably the upper limit for how many different forums there should be for a company of 1,200 employees?

Real-world experiences are best, but I'll accept baseless opinions as well.
    Yes, and it is quite popular
    33.33%
    Yes, but it is rarely used
    0.00%
    No, but they will in the near future
    33.33%
    No, but they did in the past
    0.00%
    No, and they won't in the near future
    33.33%

Boldly Going Where No One Has Gone Before, Apparently

One week later, no replies, and only 3 votes on the poll? Running a vBulletin forum on a corporate intranet must be pretty much unexplored territory! I wonder if that's because it's a bad idea, or just because most corporations don't allow it.

Comment

What exactly would be the purpose?

I have worked for corporations but they never had a forum setting. We did have workgroup tools... Public and private folders in Exchange, Netmeeting collaboration, Electronic Whiteboards, Cameras, Application sharing... These all facilitate the doing of work across large spaces.

What do you envision static text-based forums doing that would help the work do their jobs?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

It means people can gossip at their desks instead of having to do it at the coffee machine or in the smoking room.

It's also somewhere else to go when there's no new posts here and your watching a long batch job running.
        http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

Comment

I don't know how "corporate" you are talking about - but as a team member of a fairly large bulletin board / web service - a private team only forum can come in very handy. But in a work environment where everyone may be working within the same building I don't see much point. If you need to discuss something - call a meeting. If you need to get an announcement out - email it or call a meeting.
          Jordan Gadd
          Contact Information

Comment

Originally posted by wluke
            What exactly would be the purpose?

I have worked for corporations but they never had a forum setting. We did have workgroup tools... Public and private folders in Exchange, Netmeeting collaboration, Electronic Whiteboards, Cameras, Application sharing... These all facilitate the doing of work across large spaces.

What do you envision static text-based forums doing that would help the work do their jobs?
            If you were using public and private folders in Exchange, you were probably doing much of what I envision us using vBulletin for. Unfortunately, we're not using Exchange, and what we are using (GroupWise) is, uh, well, it sucks.

The other stuff you mentioned (Netmeeting, electronic whiteboards, etc) are all way too high-tech for us, alas. I wish that weren't the case, but it is.

Comment

My suggestion to you to get a real answer - is to trial it out and see how your staff likes it.
              Jordan Gadd
              Contact Information

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                I don't know how "corporate" you are talking about - but as a team member of a fairly large bulletin board / web service - a private team only forum can come in very handy. But in a work environment where everyone may be working within the same building I don't see much point. If you need to discuss something - call a meeting. If you need to get an announcement out - email it or call a meeting.
                We're a state government agency with 1200 employees, with about 800-900 in one large complex and the other 300-400 spread out in regional offices throughout the state.

Even if people were all in one building, calling a meeting to discuss something can be a hassle. For one thing, everyone has to be available at the same time. Also, the only people who know what was discussed in the meeting are the people who attended. I'm hoping that it would be useful to have a more general "what does everything think about this" type of discussion, in which anyone who's interested can participate. We'll see.

Comment

See my post above about trialing it out to see how everyone reacts to it. I think if it is used well it could come in very handy.
                  Jordan Gadd
                  Contact Information

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X