How do you make your board big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make your board big?

what advertising or techniques do ya'll use to make ya forum grow fast?

im at like 110 members 2000 posts in 1 month by word of mouth i guess thats ok, but whats everyone do?

i am at one year and at 234 members, but i have my own niche, i run anime site, except i do mine the legal way, not having anime for download -_- hence why i don't get many members. look at other sites that have licensed anime for download and they have thousands of members

Comment

i mean how to grow real fast?

mine is kleptikmusic.com and is a hip-hop battle type site, just lookin for thoughts and how to grow huge

Comment

have hip-hop for direct download, illegal, yes, recommended, no, but you asked

Comment

how to make a forum profitable

I've been wondering how (or if) you can make a forum profitable. I've seen webmaster message boards for some areas of online business that have incredible traffic. Standalone sites (nothing but a message board). How do they generate their revenue?
          Allowing the use of signatures for commercial purposes seems to be an essential element in their success. The users all put affiliate links in their sigs. So that makes it profitable for them to post there.
          But where does the message board operator get their revenue? Of course they could send a newsletter to all the forum members. What other ways are there to profit from the traffic, the access to this highly-targeted group?

Comment

Creating a large and profitable website is not an easy thing but with the right traffic it is not hard either. To start out you need to grow out your site and that includes your community and whatever other aspects you may have (articles, photo galleries, planning services, etc...). Getting traffic and getting it fast really boils down to two factors (1) money and (2) time. Money can often take the place of time and to an extent, time can take the place of money. However, at the end of the day there is only so much you can do quickly without money.

Free promotion methods range from things like increasing inbound likes from directories, forum signatures (site permitting), link exchanges and similar, targeted interactions. You can also get involved in newsletters, participate in other sites, or even join a post exchange group. All of these methods will bring you traffic, how much depends on the quality of your link exchanges and the amount of energy you put in. Of course even more valuable then any number of backlinks is the power of the word of mouth. If your forum has a strong sense of community and a well defined niche it can and will grow on its own from one user referring to another user.

Now if big is your goal and you have a short time frame money comes into play immediately. Paid marketing purposes are much more plentiful than free ones for obvious reasons. On the low end you have small banner or text ad campaigns on well targeted sites. Up from there you can work with pay-per-click engines like google, overture, findwhat and dozens more. On the higher end you can purchase print ads in local magazines, banners on prominent websites or high value campaigns. Again, it all gets down how much you want to spend, how creative you are and how much time you put into it.

Once you have traffic and a constant stream of it you need to identify your community's value, remove negative aspects (like a vulgar forum on a pg website) and increase your site's networth. Next you have to draw in funding, either through network campaigns (fastclick, adsense, etc...) or through the use of private advertisers (more profitable but more work). In order to accomplish the best range of campaigns you need to employ a fairly good marketing strategy. For private advertisers creating your own media kit, working with a marketing team and getting out and marketing your site is vital. If you want to make real money you are either going to have to master the networks working to daisy chain ads together or, if your niche is worth anything, going out and selling your site. Do not underestimate the severity of the situation, selling your site means playing the sames game, email doesn't make many sales nor does it work to wait for them to come for you. Using network ads can make a nice profit but many networks look down on forum based sites or sites with a large forum component.

To break it all back down making a successful website starts by identifying your niche, implementing a successful marketing plan to increase traffic and deriving the ideal method to create profit based on your niche, traffic levels and the market.
            Ted & the Giftery.me Team

New features released for Product Review Forums 1.3 (4.0)
            Helpful Answers (3.8) (4.0) | Limited Guest Viewing (3.8) (4.0)

Comment

Originally posted by eva01
              have hip-hop for direct download, illegal, yes, recommended, no, but you asked
              Getting traffic for an illegal site is rarely hard but turning that traffic into anything of value, that's nearly impossible. Ethically even running an illegal site has its own issues but that's for someone else to delve into.

Comment

^running illegal sites is also very stupid

couldnt believe my eyes when i saw such a post here

anyway ted s i been using google, but it seems to take more money from me than its worth

Any places u find more profitable for gaining people than others?

Comment

whai is board big?
                  i do not know

Comment

I run a small forum for sportbike enthusiasts in So Cal. We go out and ride almost every weekend. So, I came up with a design for my site, made a bunch of stickers, and gave them up for free whenever I'm out. People put them on bikes, cars, and whatever else you can think of. I think of it as a free long term word of mouth, because people will remember my site whenever they see the stickers. It's also a great ice breaker if members happen to run into each other at different events. Since Jan 13 of this year, I've gained 173 new members and still counting. So, in addition to switching from UBB to vB, the stickers help too I guess. Oh, I ordered a bunch of them from http://www.crazyvinyls.com.
                    So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

humn seems cool. what did you use custom?

Comment

That's the logo for my site. I had them made it into stickers about 6x2.5" and give them out. People seem to like them a lot.
                        So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Where did you get your stickers made and in qhat quantity? I'm looking for a new vendor right now as the last one just didn't preform well.

Comment

Stickers, eh? Now there's an idea...
                            http://www.arsegaming.com/dice/index.php/stuff.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ted S
                              Where did you get your stickers made and in qhat quantity? I'm looking for a new vendor right now as the last one just didn't preform well.
                              I ordered them from http://www.crazyvinyls.com, about 600 small size decals (6x2.5")

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X