Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use to backup your website ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use to backup your website ?

Hi,

I have a smallish site - 40K members - 400K posts and about 150MB of files.

I have grown weary of my current backup solution, and am looking for a better script that will keep incremental backups (daily, weekly, and monthly) with the option (hopefully) of being able to then sftp that backed up file to both my other server, and to my home server (gentoo) automagically.

Anyone use anything close to this ? If so, what is it ?

I'm happy to pay for such a script if need be.

Thanks

hold on, but what the hell is my site then if yours is smallish??? i have 225 members and 17,000 posts O_o

Comment

I just create a cron job to dump the SQL database, zip it up, and delete the original file.
      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Custom shell script, using http://expect.nist.gov/ to deal with remote stuff, now that I think about it I was going to put a Tk front end on it.

I'm happy to pay for such a script if need be.
        Check www.vbulletin.org , that the place to ask for custom code/scripts.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

I backup manually:

Code:
          mysqldump -uusername -p dbname > backup.txt
          tar -cvf backup.tar backup.txt public_html
          gzip backup.tar

Comment

I have my whole server backed up daily to another hard drive.

But then I have my databases backed up nightly, and saved under a non accessible directory on the account, and then I download those.

But I haven't had any problems with my backup system -- or really problems with any of my forums (no messups, or currupt databases).

Comment

I use the following

mysqldump --opt -Q -uusername -p forumdb | gzip > dump.sql.gz

Comment

mysqlhotcopy is a better option than mysqldump. less chance of corruption, plus it locks the tables.

I have a 4.1 gb database, and mysqlhotcopy takes about 4 minutes to run.

Comment

There is an automated backup via vBulletin's Scheduled Tasks feature over at vBulletin.org.
                  Let the flames begin.

Comment

We use a custom based shell script to create and manage upto 10 database backups generated nightly and 2 system backups generated weekly. Backups remain on the local server on a second hard drive and on a remote backup system.
                    Ted & the Giftery.me Team

New features released for Product Review Forums 1.3 (4.0)
                    Helpful Answers (3.8) (4.0) | Limited Guest Viewing (3.8) (4.0)

Comment

hotbackup, then rsync
                      http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X