Image Verification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Verification

I have always wondered about this. With Image Verification why do they make it hard to read sometimes, like I know they do it to stop spiders from registering but surely a spider could not read perfectly typed words? Why make it a struggle to see what it is we have to type to register an account.

I have always been wondering this but today I had a hell of a time trying to register a hotmail account because the words were that distorted.

So what’s the point in making them hard to read/distorted?

I've been to a few websites too, where I've been unable to register since i've incorrectly typed in the image verification due to poor quality text. Normal text on a plain background should be sufficient enough.

Comment

I do believe there are some spam spiders out there that will download the images and then compare them to example strings or images. Most people go to extreme lengths, but some sort of protection is needed.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Is there a way to make the Image Verification thing look nicer? Using AIM's images as an example, something smooth, possible with colors.
        Let the flames begin.

Comment

Why do you want that?

I really like the image verification but I noticed some members have difficulties to read the words. I know you can't make it easier to read and I do think colors wouldn't make it nicer
          That's the end of that!

Comment

You can indeed use colours, you can use whichever font you want, and even use an image as a basis for the end result.

Comment

The caveat to using any font you want with GD is that your php installation has the freetype library installed, which many don't.

That being said, there are now two options for generating image verification, one of which does allow you to choose from various fonts.

Comment

Any chance of throwing in colors as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                  Any chance of throwing in colors as well?
                  Yeah, I would like to see that.
                  Let the flames begin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X