X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony NAD arrived. And what now?

Hello,

Finally after 2 months of waiting my PS2 Network Access Disk has arrived

Now what comes next? Can anyone tell me how I can connect my Playstation to my local network to be able to access the memorycard to edit the saved files?

What do I have to edit in the settings? I couldn't connect the Playstation yet because I would have to lay a second 100mbit cable to my room downstairs.

Has anyone experienced Ps2 Onlinegaming? How's that?
    That's the end of that!

Sony is about 2 years behind XBox in online. Microsoft not only came out with a standardized system of online and a standard headset, but leveraged the INCLUDED hard drive to make online a simply fantastic experience.

From the little we know of the online development (And subsequent failure to ship an online game) of Gran Turismo 4, it sounded like Polyphony Digital was having to do a lot of programming work and troubleshooting themselves on getting GT4 online to work with Japan, USA, and Europe. On XBox, the architecture is already there to play Internationally. In general, a piece of cake to develop games for XBox compared to PS2.

I wonder if we'll hear of any suicides by developers when they get the PS3 developer's kit and see how Sony wants them to address the NINE independent subprocessors in the Cell CPU. PS2 was bad enough with 3 separate processors, each of which required a whole different programming approach. The first dozen launch titles for PS2 used the main CPU and ignored the other two chips, so the graphics were worse than Sega Dreamcast! F355 Challenge, Resident Evil: Codename Veronica, and Virtua Tennis blew away anything on PS2 at launch. Of course then Sega ran out of money.

Sony's optional hard drive went over about as well as Nintendo's DD drive.

Maybe next generation, Sony will realize they need to include at least 1GB of writeable memory -- a CompactFlash slot would be fine.

Keep in mind that I loved PS1 and love a lot of games for PS2 especially GT4. But they let Microsoft slip by.
    Last edited by feldon23; Mon 7 Mar '05, 11:55am.

Comment

You should have done some research before buying the drive. There are some 3rd party things that let you do something like that, but nothing out of the box.

http://i.ksilebo.com/ksicom_button.png
      http://i.ksilebo.com/simpli_button.png

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
        Maybe next generation, Sony will realize they need to include at least 1GB of writeable memory -- a CompactFlash slot would be fine.
        Unlikely that they'll ever include a memory card--after all, they make probably a ridiculous profit (more than $20 for 8 MB is insane). If they would, they would definitely use MemoryStick, which just...won't...die. Also, as another said, the XBox has standardized broadband Internet gaming (XBox Live) where the PS2 doesn't seem to have any such system.

That's one of the reasons I hate the PS2 (other than it's so underpowered for today's games): dependence on memory cards--and one of the reasons I like my XBox, where I can store a huge amount of data by console standards. If the rumors of the XBox 2 not having a hard drive are true, I probably won't buy it just for that reason.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Well that doesn't answer my question how to connect my PS2 to my desktop

I really love my PS2, it's small and I have plenty of games for it. My first one (the very first who came out) broke and I got the new version and Iam happy but everything but I still can't figure out how to play games like GT3 or PES4 online.
          That's the end of that!

Comment

The playstation 2 owns the xbox hands down. I play it online al lthe time. Its free to. Plenty of actiuve players and the headset works jsut fine. They shuold have added a HDD but you get by without it. As far as connecting to your desktop that I know nothing about.

Comment

Originally posted by Punktek
              The playstation 2 owns the xbox hands down. I play it online al lthe time. Its free to. Plenty of actiuve players and the headset works jsut fine. They shuold have added a HDD but you get by without it. As far as connecting to your desktop that I know nothing about.
              It's a matter of opinion which of the three major consoles is the best. They all have their plusses and minuses.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
                (more than $20 for 8 MB is insane).
                Here in England, 8MB memory cards are around £20+ ($38). Which is ridiculous. Good thing I never play my PS2 lol.

Comment

Can you stop that 'I don't like the PS2 because...' posts please? I just want to know how to connect my PS2 to my computer to edit savegames

As I already own a PS2 you can't convince me not to buy one
                  That's the end of that!

Comment

Heh here you guys are fighting over which console dose the best online gaming and here I am stuck in the middle of no where with no broadband and no online gaming in sight for the next 3 or 4 years....

This is why I no longer play my console, after 16 years of playing the cpu or split screen I am ready to move on. I used to attempt quake on the pc but my ping times where to high to most servers..it was not an enjoyable experance to say the least.

I hope the single player market stays storng, although lately everything just seems like everything I have played before. If not for racing games my ps2 would get no use at all.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X