Another 'which dedicated server' poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 'which dedicated server' poll

Please help me decide which dedicated server to buy. Forget about ease of use and familiarity with the OS issues. I know them both.

Dialtone Internet:
    Pentium III 650
    Linux
    9GB SCSI
    128MB
    65GB Traffic
    $289

DataPipe:
    Sun Netra X1
    400Mhz 64bit UltraSparc
    Solaris 8
    20GB IDE
    256MB
    80GB traffic
    $299
    Dialtone Intel/Linux
    73.33%
    DataPipe Sparc/Solaris
    26.67%
    http://britishexpats.com/ - British expatriate community

hmmm.. without taking into account

contract terms and lengths ? , additional costs for hardware and bandwidth upgrades ? additional costs for technical support ?

i'd say datapipe based on specs since i have no idea how datapipe's service is ... nor do i have an understanding of Sun servers in comparison to Pentiums heh
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Solaris 8 is a great OS, and really can beat Linux as far as performance goes. But if you are planning on running MySQL on this server, I would *highly* recommend using Linux... MySQL on Linux outperforms Solaris.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
        Solaris 8 is a great OS, and really can beat Linux as far as performance goes. But if you are planning on running MySQL on this server, I would *highly* recommend using Linux... MySQL on Linux outperforms Solaris.
        you learn something everyday
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I would say get the Intel for raw speed -- if you can get the info spit out to PHP fast enough then you don't need the scaleability of the UltraSparc / Solaris combo.
          Matt
          Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
          Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was unaware of the MySQL issues on Solaris.

But the Sun does look sexy!

One more question. At what sort of size vB does the SCSI performance begin to become noticeable over the IDE. The reason I ask is I could get more memory and more CPU for the same price if I went IDE.

Comment

not sure maybe look at

http://www.mysql.com/information/pre...719/index.html and http://www.mysql.com/documentation/m...ml#Performance

Comment

If you can cache everything in RAM then the hard drive x-fer rate becomes less of an issue.

For a message board in which you're not transferring a ton of data I'd suspect the bust rates of the ultra-ATA 100 drives approach / eclipse SCSI drives. Sustained xfer is where SCSI really whips IDE drives.
                Matt
                Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
                Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

I would like to choose linux.. but I won't get service from dialtone!. NO NO. I have bad experience..

Comment

First one,sure

Comment

dialtone are good but not brilliant (where my server is) eventually i plan to move to venturesonline, it is a lot easier with cpanel and webhost manager. If you don't need that sort of help and can manage a server easily then dialtone are fine, they answer support quickly and have a good network.
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk
                      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

We just bought 3 Sun e220r's: They have 18gig scsi's and half a gig of RAM as standard.

I have never ever had systems like these before.

My only gripe is that we bought them and they don't fit into our standard 19" racks (too deep):

if cost was no problems then those beasties would do it for me every time.

T1's are fine and robust little machines but that's what they are little machines about the size of a pizza box-

Fastforward if you do decide on Dialtone I would strongly suggest having a converstaion along these lines:

You: I have seen your pricing plans and am keen however I have looked at <inserthosts name> and their prices look better. Can you do anything?

Dialtone: Let me see what I can do...

http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

Thanks for everyones advice. I decided to go with Dialtone. I managed to get a PIII 750 / 256MB / 9.1 10K SCSI for $300 a month with no setup fee. I would have preferred FreeBSD, but beggars can't be choosers.

Being based in Florida (just down the road from me) it's a lot more responsive on telnet than my vserver in Seattle

Comment

nice
                            Christopher Padfield
                            Web Based Helpdesk
                            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Seems like a good deal!
                              Jordan Gadd
                              Contact Information

Comment

Working...
                              X