X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox users now BEWARE

Spyware takes aim at Mozilla browsers

http://news.com.com/Spyware+takes+ai...3-5569635.html

thanks for the heads up, although I have enough tools I never worry about spyware.

Comment

There is no free lunch. If you download something, you need to read the EULA. If you don't, you get exactly what you asked for.

I don't see this as a FF threat, this is proaganda to try and discredit FF. As it is pointed out in the link you provided, any browser can be vunerable to this attack.

It's not a browser attack at all though, it's a common sense attack on the user.
      Computer Help Forum
      An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

and this is why OS X is sextastic ^_^

Comment

unless the website is added to firefox's whitelist any XPI file that a site tries to install will completely fail. even if the site is whitelisted you will still get a dialog prompting for your input (with a delay on the ok button)

thus unless the user is completely stupid and accepts the xpi file from the spyware site.. i dont see anything to worry about
          http://www.virtualinfusion.net
          An Anime and Manga discussion forum.

Comment

I don't like FireFox at all, Avant for me. But thanks for the warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Moparx
              unless the website is added to firefox's whitelist any XPI file that a site tries to install will completely fail. even if the site is whitelisted you will still get a dialog prompting for your input (with a delay on the ok button)

thus unless the user is completely stupid and accepts the xpi file from the spyware site.. i dont see anything to worry about
              Exactly, by default on a firefox install any website that tries to install software is blocked from even asking to do so. A little bar appears at the top which is off un-noticable and you have to specifically click it and select allow software from this site to be installed
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Thuggin Image
                I don't like FireFox at all, Avant for me. But thanks for the warning.
                You're not the only one
                Webmaster / Administrator
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                  Exactly, by default on a firefox install any website that tries to install software is blocked from even asking to do so. A little bar appears at the top which is off un-noticable and you have to specifically click it and select allow software from this site to be installed
                  that's why i like it.

Comment

I like Beer.

The first browser to offer free beer, I'll switch to.
                    Computer Help Forum
                    An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Originally posted by noppid
                      I like Beer.

The first browser to offer free beer, I'll switch to.
                      LMAO.

Comment

Yea I am real scared

Comment

Isnt this a discussion about nothing?

Since the linked article pretty much just says there isn't a problem yet - just that Firefox may be targeted in the future. FUD? Yes.

lol @ Vile. I hope you're paid well!
                          HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
                          -
                          Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

[sarcasm] I guess I better stop using FireFox and go back to the more secure and faster brower Internet Explorer [/sarcasm]

Comment

The user is always the weak link in any security scheme, unfortuneatly. No browser/software/equipment can really protect you from yourself.
                              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X