Internet trolls - WATCH OUT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet trolls - WATCH OUT!!

Look out for these trolls on your VBulletin boards.... they're already doing the rounds on other forums!!

Here's the first one:
    Pick
    The user just posts the word 'pick' repeatedly, and floods the forums. We've just banned him every time he uses a new username which always has Pick in it!
    Originally posted by Pick
    pick.... pick.... pick.... pick.... pick....
    Solar
    This user repeatedly posts large images to take up bandwidth.

ConcernedMother
    Is this post a bit odd?? Read it and see!
    Originally posted by ConcernedMother
    Hi there
    This problem is worrying me a lot, so I will explain it here.
    My 16-year-old son is dating a 54-year-old grandmother-of-three - and the age gap is 38 years between them.

I am worried about him.

They are talking of marriage and have got engaged now.

When my son is 40, she will be 78. How many 40-year-old men like the idea of a wife who is almost 80???

Can anyone help me here, I am really worried for my son.

Many thanks,
    Concerned Mother - who wishes to remain anonymous.
    Watch out for these trolls - they're going around forums like wildfire!

Turn on image verification. Problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud Strife
      Turn on image verification. Problem solved
      Well, they registered on my friend's forum despite the verification with images.

What do you think of the ConcernedMother and Pick trolls?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunlight
        Well, they registered on my friend's forum despite the verification with images.

What do you think of the ConcernedMother and Pick trolls?

Cant see how thats possible unless they are real people registering.

Comment

Considering that any large images posted consume bandwidth from the host and not the site it's posted on, I don't see how this is any different than trolls that have been stomping around for years.

Comment

"When my son is 40, she will be 78. How many 40-year-old men like the idea of a wife who is almost 80???"

How many 40yr old men like the idea of a 40yr old wife for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud Strife
              Cant see how thats possible unless they are real people registering.
              Image verification does not stop 100% of mass register scripts, there are a few advanced ones which have some sort of OCR method built in.
              They exist for phpBB, IPB and vB (as those are the most popular), and they have been known to be able to pass the default image verification of these forum software.
              So image verification does stop maybe 99% of the mass register scripts, but not all.

Comment

The "Pick" troll has just spammed about every forum on our forum, and we've just banned his username.

He re-registered as Pickerville, and we've just banned him again.

All he does is flood the forums with the word "pick", why I have no idea.
                So we've put flood control on!

We've also got another troll who is repeatedly getting banned. His username is....
                Son of Sam

He has been repeatedly posting about Son of Sam and the New york thing of 1977, and we've now used Tachy on some of his usernames (how did that name tachy goes to coventry come about??)

Anyway, if VBulletin mods are reading this, the reason I show up unlicensed is because I'm just a forum member on the forum in question.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Drexion
                  Image verification does not stop 100% of mass register scripts, there are a few advanced ones which have some sort of OCR method built in.
                  They exist for phpBB, IPB and vB (as those are the most popular), and they have been known to be able to pass the default image verification of these forum software.
                  So image verification does stop maybe 99% of the mass register scripts, but not all.
                  And what evidence do you have to prove this?
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                    And what evidence do you have to prove this?
                    How about the fact that this thread exists ? And similar threads with the same complaint also occasionally pop up on the IPB and phpBB forums, some from admins who also have image verification on ? And that it usually happens to a whole bunch of forums almost simultaneously, too quickly for a person (or group or persons) to manually register ?

But seriously is this so hard to believe ? Considering there are OCR capable scripts used to leech emails off whois databases, register fake ebay/paypal accounts etc, I would say its pretty obvious that there are OCR capable ones for mass registering on forums.
                    I have never obtained one (no reason to, as they are closed source), but have seen screenshots of them in use on lowlife sites which usually get shut down by their host very quickly.

Comment

If you are a forum member, the admin should be here solving the problem, not you. He should be the one in here trying to find the solutions, rather than sending you to do his dirty work.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Drexion
                        How about the fact that this thread exists ? And similar threads with the same complaint also occasionally pop up on the IPB and phpBB forums, some from admins who also have image verification on ? And that it usually happens to a whole bunch of forums almost simultaneously, too quickly for a person (or group or persons) to manually register ?

But seriously is this so hard to believe ? Considering there are OCR capable scripts used to leech emails off whois databases, register fake ebay/paypal accounts etc, I would say its pretty obvious that there are OCR capable ones for mass registering on forums.
                        I have never obtained one (no reason to, as they are closed source), but have seen screenshots of them in use on lowlife sites which usually get shut down by their host very quickly.
                        Yeah it is hard to believe. Have you ever used an OCR program on anything but printed text in a book? They're useless as far as handwriting goes (even when the person writes neatly). The fact is that the image verification images are almost as bad as handwriting. The letters are slanted, and they have lines across. I find it very hard to believe that any kind of OCR reader could read these. In fact I'd go as far to say it's impossible at the moment.

Also these programs you may have seen (such as one posted up here a couple of weeks ago) don't bypass image verification too. They only work on boards with it disabled.

I think the issue here is you are underestimating the idiocy of some people on the internet. There are very shallow people who go round posting useless BS on many forums. It's happened to us all

Comment

Intresting article on auto registration and OCR here although some of those tests look difficult for most real users to pass

Of course employing people to register is also a possiblilty, if you don't have to pay them much then it may be cost effective for a 'link pusher' to start to pay for registrations so that they can increase the rating of the site they are pushing.

Oh and there must be OCR using auto registration software otherwise why would everyone have gone to so much trouble to have such hard to read visual tests.
                          Last edited by pieman666; Fri 11th Feb '05, 1:04am.

Comment

That article is an interesting read indeed! Slightly off topic, but there is a major accessability issue with image verification. How is a blind person meant to register on any forum with this. Their screen reader won't suffice

Comment

Normaly, there is some text near the image saying if you can't see the image please contact the forum admins and they will help you register.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X