Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Maps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Google Maps

    I like how they've done this without flash or java

    http://maps.google.com/
    Last edited by Dean C; Tue 8 Feb '05, 4:09am.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

  • #2
    Originally posted by Dean C
    I like how they've done this without flash or java
    Do you have a link? Couldn't see anything at Google.com, searched for maps, and nothing there either.
    Special Forces - Roll Of Honour - http://www.specialforcesroh.com

    Comment


    • #3
      http://maps.google.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Zachery
        Nice, looks like a nice online version of Autoroute.
        Special Forces - Roll Of Honour - http://www.specialforcesroh.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Craigr
          Do you have a link? Couldn't see anything at Google.com, searched for maps, and nothing there either.
          Sorry about that
          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

          Comment


          • #6
            It's done with javascript and pushthrough data?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Floris
              It's done with javascript and pushthrough data?
              Apparently (I guess) XMLHttp, just like GMail, Suggest and the new Groups.

              I really like how nice the maps look, and being able to move around live without reloading the page. It's really buggy though.(probably more buggy then any other Google product I've used) Sometimes blocks don't load and the address reading is really bad.
              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

              Comment


              • #8
                yea that is pretty cool

                and it looks like it is done with java

                MGM out

                Comment


                • #9
                  Be good if they could link that to keyhole results http://www.keyhole.com/
                  Christopher Padfield
                  Web Based Helpdesk
                  DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by chrispadfield
                    Be good if they could link that to keyhole results http://www.keyhole.com/
                    Probably will eventually, remember, still beta.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cirisme
                      Apparently (I guess) XMLHttp, just like GMail, Suggest and the new Groups.

                      I really like how nice the maps look, and being able to move around live without reloading the page. It's really buggy though.(probably more buggy then any other Google product I've used) Sometimes blocks don't load and the address reading is really bad.
                      Nope, I was wrong. They're not using XMLHttp to retrieve the data, instead they're using a hidden iframe. The major benefit of that is that it creates a history so you can use the back and forward buttons, unlike in GMail.

                      Way cool stuff. And apparently, Google just sends some VRML data which IE renders right away whereas Mozilla sends back to the server and asks for a rendered PNG which makes IE slightly faster.
                      TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Have you guys tried searching, I love what it does with those little pins in the map
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yea I searched for my house... and I found that the 40 minute drive from my house to college isn't all that far actually and that the world is far bigger than I imagined

                          MGM out

                          Comment

                          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X