• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wert
    replied
    Re: Re: mySQL and perl/cgi

Originally posted by 4php
    [B]

Possibly because a few of thre free php/mysql boards are horribly written.

But mod perl would have a good chance as being as fast, and can easily use mysql.
    So two apps equally well programmed using Perl/CGI and php/mySQL *could* perform equally well? From what I understand, in a well written app, pulling and putting data in a dbase like mySQL is just inherently faster. Is this incorrect?

Im really sick of hearing that by using php or mysql means your application will run faster. Usually its said by people who have never bothered to try any languages but php or straight perl as a cgi and who only use MYsql.
    How many hosts have mod_perl installed? Is it completely compatible with straight perl? I'm deciding on a language to learn and am avoiding perl 'cuz it seems slow and kinda arcane syntax-wise.... Are there some really fast, well written boards written in perl that we can check out? I mean, ikonboard is nice, but it's poky as hell...

Leave a comment:

• 4php
    replied
    Re: mySQL and perl/cgi

Originally posted by wert
    I've often been told that a perl/cgi based board can never compare speedwise to a board using php/mySQL. Any truth to this?
    Possibly because a few of thre free php/mysql boards are horribly written.

But mod perl would have a good chance as being as fast, and can easily use mysql.

PHP isn't a cure for bade coding/design. I don't think the choice beteen PHP, mod perl, mod python, tcl is the main factor in determining the speed.

Good design is the MOST IMPORTANT part, which includes good scripting and good database design.

Im really sick of hearing that by using php or mysql means your application will run faster. Usually its said by people who have never bothered to try any languages but php or straight perl as a cgi and who only use MYsql.

Go try aolserver with tcl/adp pages, or mod python or mod tcl, theres a whole lot of other languages out there that work just as good as php. Also experimemnt with interbase, postgresql, SAP all of which are also open source.

Just because Vbulletin uses php doesn't mean its better. It's Vbulletins design itself thats important.

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    whispers: the code is much more complex however...

Leave a comment:

• wert
    replied
    Re: Re: mySQL and perl/cgi

Originally posted by Dream

perl is more powerful than php, or so they say, but php was designed to be easy and fast to develop web content.

edit: oh, theres mod_perl, which is a perl module for the web server, but its not so popular.
    I thought so. It explains why Ikonboard *even the new 3.0 rev* seems so poky compared to VB and other php/mySQL boards....

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    Re: mySQL and perl/cgi

Originally posted by wert
    I've often been told that a perl/cgi based board can never compare speedwise to a board using php/mySQL. Any truth to this?
    yes. the overhead perl creates isnt good for highly requested scripts. php uses a built-in module in the web server, making it less server intensive. its easier (read faster) to develop for it too. plus, php has many database modules already available.

perl is more powerful than php, or so they say, but php was designed to be easy and fast to develop web content.

edit: oh, theres mod_perl, which is a perl module for the web server, but its not so popular.
    Last edited by Dream; Fri 6 Apr '01, 10:47pm.

Leave a comment:

• wert
    replied
    mySQL and perl/cgi

Leave a comment:

• upperking
    replied
    Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
    Actually, I don't see a problem with that. I think if anything, it's actually better that way. It will definately prevent fragmentation of the hacking community.

(Anyone who was around then,) Think back to the UBB Code Hacking Hideout fallout and creation of UBBHackers.Com. That basically split the community down the middle. For a while, it really seemed like hack production was down.

Of course, I'm not saying that the split was bad in this case -- I doubt there'd be much of a hacking scene outside of SK (for nostalgia ) if that didn't happen. Or it may have gone completely dormant until a change in management.
    I think when you start cutting out other peoples ideas and limiting it to the dev guys then the hacks and ideas start slowing down.kinda like they are doing now on thier dev site. most of the hacks are old ones converted over to the new version. ..less traffic i see, its mainley the same guys posting over and over again,the place is becoming a ghost town, 17 total online users "just checked" that place used to be very busy with guests browsing and newmembers.

like i said i dont think its a good idea,but of course the developers dont like it, unless thier boards are free..for more reasons then one
    Last edited by upperking; Sat 7 Apr '01, 1:40pm.

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    Originally posted by JB007
    Hey it's me , Actually I attacked vBulletin in the 'Power Unleased' Topic and mentioned that vBulletin copied UBB hacks but know I'm convinced that I was totally wrong because vBulletin added more features than UBB even in the earlier versions and some of ubb's hacks were standard features in other BBS scripts ... Now ubb hackers will try to copy the features of vB 2 . I'm sorry If i disturbed anyone in that topic.
    what took you so long

Leave a comment:

• jojo85
    replied
    Originally posted by JB007
    Hey it's me , Actually I attacked vBulletin in the 'Power Unleased' Topic and mentioned that vBulletin copied UBB hacks but know I'm convinced that I was totally wrong because vBulletin added more features than UBB even in the earlier versions and some of ubb's hacks were standard features in other BBS scripts ... Now ubb hackers will try to copy the features of vB 2 . I'm sorry If i disturbed anyone in that topic.

IB 3 looks excellent , Object Oriented , fast and reliable ( but ... no script can be compared with vBulletin except .. guess? ) By the way why don't matt distribute it under the GNU/GPL ?

vbulletin is the king forum,IB 3 is the prince!!

Leave a comment:

• JB007
    replied

IB 3 looks excellent , Object Oriented , fast and reliable ( but ... no script can be compared with vBulletin except .. guess? ) By the way why don't matt distribute it under the GNU/GPL ?

Leave a comment:

• jojo85
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    WOW, Ikonboard is going up in the world!

First we were accused of ripping of Boardpower, then YaBB, then UBB and now vBulletin!

I'm honoured
    Yes it's a open project

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    You can mention the UBB. Just don't be that j007 guy or whatever his name was from a while back. Actually, vB came semi-directly from the UBB, although the code was changed significantly when IP didn't want to buy or distribute it.

We don't think anyone copied. It was really all in fun. And you're right - there's a basic interface that exists for message boards, and so in some way or form, every mb is going to resemble that basic interface. There's not really any way around it.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    ...as long as your design is approved by IP

[By the way, nice vB Code buttons!]
    The board looks great. I'll probably end up using this on my smaller projects that don't yet warrant $ignificant inve$ments. I don't see why the vB folks here need to say who copied who because many think that vB did a massive copy of some other board I cannot name here for fear of flogging. Let's face it... there is an optimal general interface and it's not a big deal and obvious that development will move in a similar direction over time...

Leave a comment:

• Matt@ikonboard
    replied
    ...as long as your design is approved by IP

[By the way, nice vB Code buttons!]

Leave a comment:

• Chitman
    replied
    Oh yeahh, but..

LoL..They do have an option in their control panel, to switch styles.
    Last edited by Chitman; Tue 3 Apr '01, 5:22pm.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X