Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Sullivan
    replied
    IMO, the best *real* use for obfuscated Perl code has to go to Gossamer Threads: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/jobs/index.htm "If you don't understand what this is doing without running it, don't bother applying";

Leave a comment:

• Matt@ikonboard
    replied
    hehe, the siggy is just stupid show off stuff. It's over complicated to look ..er.. cool. It's nothing you couldn't achieve with a few lines of perl or PHP if I could use preg_split properly, lol.

Leave a comment:

• jojo85
    replied
    Lol

Leave a comment:

• wert
    replied
    Me too!

*thinking that Matt's siggy scared me off of perl also!* :

Leave a comment:

• jojo85
    replied
    Originally posted by 4php
    No PHP isn't a bad language but it can attract bad programmers. So I think we are sort of in agreement.
    hehe
    My script have 8500 lines of code

Leave a comment:

• 4php
    replied
    No PHP isn't a bad language but it can attract bad programmers. So I think we are sort of in agreement.

Leave a comment:

• JB007
    replied
    I agree with KapTin KiRk and Matt , I prefer to finish Perl then move into the 'easy' language PHP

Leave a comment:

• KapTin KiRk
    replied
    Me? Yes, I've written a small random image script in PHP. And used it for small header/footer things instead of SSI.

Leave a comment:

• jojo85
    replied
    have you try php?

Leave a comment:

• KapTin KiRk
    replied
    Re: Good points all, but...

Originally posted by wert
    ... it seems that the vast majority of us on shared servers don't have mod_perl installed.
    I have a (cheap) shared account at OLM.net and they support mod_perl (on request). After IB3 is released I will get another account just for my boards and turn on mod_perl, for more room and bandwidth and so it doesn't mess with my own perl scripts which aren't mod_perl friendly

Anyway, I'm out of this conversation, I love Ikonboard, love IB3 so far, and I love vB too (i moderate a few boards using vB).

PHP vs. Perl, I prefer Perl myself because I just started learning it a few months ago (slowly) and don't want to switch over to PHP when im not done with Perl, they are very similar though and I've written a few miniscule PHP scripts.

Leave a comment:

• fastforward
    replied
    Matt, With a siggy like yours you've got no chance of convincing anyone they should attempt to learn Perl!

Leave a comment:

• Matt@ikonboard
    replied
    I'd better clarify before this gets out of hand

I wasn't saying that PHP is a bad language. I was just illustrating my point from my perspective. I've been coding perl for about 10 months and pretty much know 80% of it inside out. I found it frustrating that I couldn't write stuff like 'do_thing() if $var;' - it felt like I had to write it all long hand.

Again, PHP seems over simplified from a perl coders point of view. To me it was confusing to see so many overlapping functions.

Leave a comment:

• 4php
    replied
    Well I guess you could say that posix compatible regular expressions and perl compatible regular expression can do the same thing, even some of the string functions like str_replace() can do the same thing.

Just because functions can be used to do the same thing doesn't mean they should be used in the same situation.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    If you take a glance through the PHP manual, there are a number of functions that duplicate each other. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but there are at least a few.

Leave a comment:

• 4php
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected]

My biggest problem with PHP is that it's oversimplified to the point where their are a thousand commands to do the same thing.
    There are heaps of functions, if what you say has some truth to it - how about a few examples ?
    what are these commands that do the same things ?

I have nothing against perl either.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X