Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boy IB3 and VBulletin sure resemble ..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    WOW, Ikonboard is going up in the world!

    First we were accused of ripping of Boardpower, then YaBB, then UBB and now vBulletin!

    I'm honoured

    Comment


    • #17
      Open source projects...

      I think open source projects like Ikonboard and phpBB are already nicer and just generally more preferable to using UBB... But of course, vBulletin is the board of choice commercially!

      Comment


      • #18
        they can copyright the hacks all they want and as long as someone isn't writing the code in exactly the same manner they have no grounds for infringement, especially if it's being written in different language (PHP anyone?).

        they could try to patent the processes, but that would cause them so much trouble from the people who originally wrote the hacks that it would kill the company faster than it's already dying.

        If James and John ever get that stupid I will personally fly to the UK and put them out of their misery. I'm sure they would want it that way
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Joe
          vb colors, ubb layout
          Yes lol

          Comment


          • #20
            lol
            Infopop is not attempting to claim copyright for hacks, although they are not allowing any new hacking sites other than UBBDev. Working hard to gain the support of Infopop. IP will never be able to claim the rights to hacks, but how much source is actually in the hacks.

            And iB::3 looking good matt.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MasterMind
              although they are not allowing any new hacking sites other than UBBDev
              Good way to support the community

              I just may go register a UBBhacking domain, just to see what IP does.

              -jim

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by MasterMind
                although they are not allowing any new hacking sites other than UBBDev.
                Actually, I don't see a problem with that. I think if anything, it's actually better that way. It will definately prevent fragmentation of the hacking community.

                (Anyone who was around then,) Think back to the UBB Code Hacking Hideout fallout and creation of UBBHackers.Com. That basically split the community down the middle. For a while, it really seemed like hack production was down.

                Of course, I'm not saying that the split was bad in this case -- I doubt there'd be much of a hacking scene outside of SK (for nostalgia ) if that didn't happen. Or it may have gone completely dormant until a change in management.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Ed Sullivan
                  Actually, I don't see a problem with that. I think if anything, it's actually better that way. It will definately prevent fragmentation of the hacking community.

                  (Anyone who was around then,) Think back to the UBB Code Hacking Hideout fallout and creation of UBBHackers.Com. That basically split the community down the middle. For a while, it really seemed like hack production was down.

                  Of course, I'm not saying that the split was bad in this case -- I doubt there'd be much of a hacking scene outside of SK (for nostalgia ) if that didn't happen. Or it may have gone completely dormant until a change in management.
                  The ubb layout is one of the best,don't like WWW layout

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    oh and Matt, nice job on ikonboard. Really beats 2.0 there.

                    And, about UBBDev, yes, it IS good. One place for hacks. One place for support. No need for more.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Joe
                      vb colors, ubb layout
                      The colors yeah they are similar to vB's but it doesn't matter people are going to change them anyway..

                      But i disagree with the UBB layout..TO ME the new Ikonboard has more of a professional look, while UBB has more of Pokemon Lolly Pop look..I mean come on..Their new layout is not that great, thats why everyone switches the style of their UBB back to the 5.45 days.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Chitman
                        thats why everyone switches the style of their UBB back to the 5.45 days.
                        <begin shameless slam>

                        I didn't think UBB allowed you to switch styles?

                        <end shameless slam>



                        -jim

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Oh yeahh, but..

                          LoL..They do have an option in their control panel, to switch styles.
                          Last edited by Chitman; Tue 3 Apr '01, 6:22pm.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            ...as long as your design is approved by IP

                            [By the way, nice vB Code buttons!]

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by [email protected]
                              ...as long as your design is approved by IP

                              [By the way, nice vB Code buttons!]
                              The board looks great. I'll probably end up using this on my smaller projects that don't yet warrant $ignificant inve$ments. I don't see why the vB folks here need to say who copied who because many think that vB did a massive copy of some other board I cannot name here for fear of flogging. Let's face it... there is an optimal general interface and it's not a big deal and obvious that development will move in a similar direction over time...
                              My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                You can mention the UBB. Just don't be that j007 guy or whatever his name was from a while back. Actually, vB came semi-directly from the UBB, although the code was changed significantly when IP didn't want to buy or distribute it.

                                We don't think anyone copied. It was really all in fun. And you're right - there's a basic interface that exists for message boards, and so in some way or form, every mb is going to resemble that basic interface. There's not really any way around it.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X