Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami Relief

Do I see a contreversial post o.O lol.

Guys, it was really kind of you putting up a "Donate to Tsunami Relief" link on the page but they've got enough money now. I donated, I donated as much as I could, not out of guilt or pity but because they needed the money, i had some extra.

They have more than enough money for what is needed, it'd be different if donating extra would goto the victims' families etc to help support them more, but thats not the case. Its going to end up going to the Government and that'll be split up through.... what?; Military amongst other things.

If your going to have a charity link on the site why not do it to something that needs money now?

I have a problem with 1 charity in the world, this isn't it so dont get me wrong. I think its awfull what happened to those people and I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemies.... but no longer is it helping them.

I hardly think they "have enough money"...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
      Depends where its going. I heard a while ago the Red Cross was going to stop accepting donations for it. This was a while ago though, and I haven't heard anything since.
      "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
      "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
      Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

Ditto
        Webmaster / Administrator
        www.MegaGames.com
        www.MGForums.com

Comment

I beleive, I could be wrong but they have reached covering damage and as said
          I heard a while ago the Red Cross was going to stop accepting donations for it. This was a while ago though, and I haven't heard anything since.
          Vile, you have actually met me and you know me well... you know that im not a cruel person or unhearted but have strong views. I swear that it'll come back and bite us in the ass.

I've seen it happen with Charities before.. a certain UK charity, 20 years ago had more cash than they knew what to do with.... so they invested it in FILMS[a gambling choice of invest]. They still to this day ask for more money and have adverts all the time.

Comment

How does this affect vBulletin at all? They aren't handling any money.

Comment

This is the "Chit Chat" forums for..... discussions... no?

I was starting a debate. I wanted to hear other people's arguments, i've only heard people with me on it.

Comment

How does this affect vBulletin at all? They aren't handling any money.
                Take a look at the footer on this site. That's what he is referring to.

You may have a point Pie, but I for one will keep the link on my site for some time.
                www.MegaGames.com
                www.MGForums.com

Comment

I'm fully aware that it was there.

I'm saying "Who cares if vBulletin leaves the link there? They aren't handling the money; it doesn't matter. If the Red Cross happens to have a surplus of funds, I'm sure they'll find a good place for the additional money (if it's not for the Tsunami) and I doubt vBulletin having a link to the donation will make a large contribution to a surplus of money if there is one."

Comment

I'm fully aware that it was there.

I'm saying "Who cares if vBulletin leaves the link there? They aren't handling the money; it doesn't matter. If the Red Cross happens to have a surplus of funds, I'm sure they'll find a good place for the additional money (if it's not for the Tsunami) and I doubt vBulletin having a link to the donation will make a large contribution to a surplus of money if there is one."
                    You're missing the point of the thread, and what Pie is trying to get at. (Even though I disagree with him)
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

They have more than enough money for what is needed
                      This may be true, I doubt it. But have you got some evidence for the statement you can share with us?

it'd be different if donating extra would goto the victims' families etc to help support them more, but thats not the case. Its going to end up going to the Government and that'll be split up through.... what?; Military amongst other things.
                      Are you suggesting money donated to NGOs goes to the government and gets spent on military. This is very bizarre, NGOs almost always handle their own relief operations and it is them spending the money on the ground. Sometimes an NGO will give their money to another NGO if they have the workers on the ground (for example Oxfam gives money to lots of little charities that do micro-managed charity work).

So again, can you provide some evidence that money given to an NGO (like those linked to on this page) either goes directly to the government, and furthermore how this then gets spent on the military.

As I understand it, any charity that is asking people to not donate to tsunami relief is not because they have *enough* money, but that proportionally, compared to their other projects they have enough. The worry for the major charities like Oxfam is that every one does their "donating for the year" on this single cause. While clearly a catastrophe, there are many many other causes that major charities desperatly need money for - looking up the figure for the number of children that while die this year through malnutrition and compare to the tsnuami death toll.

There is never "enough" money to rebuild from such a disaster, but charities don't want their other causes to be forgotten.
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk
                      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

The list of charities that the links go to provide worldwide relief for different things all over the world. They are not simply charities created for tsunami relief but have been around for a long time.

The only money going to affected governments would be the government pledges and loans proposed by various nations around the world. This would most likely be used for rebuilding the fragile economies. Money donated to charities does not end up in government coffers. If the charity doesn't spend it all on one event, it will use it on the next tragedy or for their ongoing projects.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

If the charity doesn't spend it all on one event, it will use it on the next tragedy or for their ongoing projects.
                          Actually, as I understand it this is why some UK charities are talking about not accepting any more donations, under UK law if a charity accepts money for a certain appeal - it has to spend the money on that appeal. I don't know if that law applies anywhere else though.
                          Christopher Padfield
                          Web Based Helpdesk
                          DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Hey, if you don't like the tsunami relief table being there, you can collapse it

Comment

Originally posted by chrispadfield
                              Actually, as I understand it this is why some UK charities are talking about not accepting any more donations, under UK law if a charity accepts money for a certain appeal - it has to spend the money on that appeal. I don't know if that law applies anywhere else though.
                              I thought i saw on breakfast TV that they had started ringing people back to see if they could spend the money on other things.. clearly there is too much money to warrant spending on one thing, the one thing people donated money for.

Apprantly they said 10% took their money back... unless i got the story completly wrong, i wasnt paying attention.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X