Ok, heres an interesting Q.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, heres an interesting Q.

Seen as we cant get any info about vBs new release, how about this instead.

I've read this next version is going to leverage OO-PHP to some degree. My questions are:

A) Why have we chosen to OOP aspects of the forum?
    B) What impact will this have on vBulletin, performance or otherwise?
    C) What benifits might one expect as an end user or modder?

Dont think thats too feature centric and might get an interesting bit of info

A) Expandibility with currently planned and future product ideas. More modular implementation and better control over the data.

B) The code will be more complex than the procedural code of today. This will preclude some people from modifying it without a basic understanding of how PHP works. The system should be more robust and resource friendly due to the modular nature provided by OOP practices.

C) The next version will have several enhancements that should make modding your forum easier as long as the new mods are created to vBulletin's standards. Unfortunately, it is too early to talk about the specifics of these enhancements as they are considered core features of the new release and bring new technology to the vBulletin platform.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Ohh, this would be a dream. Hope you do this as much as possible, as I`m allready implementing OO hacks into the current version. Imagine I could learn alot just by looking at how you great programmers implement this.

Edit : By the way, Nemon. Where did you read up on vBulletin`s upcoming OO coding?
      Uhm, is this version 4 or "3.1" you are referring to here?
      Last edited by Haakon; Fri 4 Feb '05, 4:16am.

Comment

Kier once stated in a chat, that the next version of vBulletin (most likely 3.1.0) will be based more on OOP.
        Well actually what he said was something along the lines of "learn PHP OOP".
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
          Kier once stated in a chat, that the next version of vBulletin (most likely 3.1.0) will be based more on OOP.
          Well actually what he said was something along the lines of "learn PHP OOP".
          Actually is has been stated that the next version will NOT be 3.1

MGM out

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

B) The code will be more complex than the procedural code of today. This will preclude some people from modifying it without a basic understanding of how PHP works. The system should be more robust and resource friendly due to the modular nature provided by OOP practices.
            http://www.sitepoint.com/blog-post-view.php?id=224444

Some might counter-claim that statement
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

OOP can increase memory usage and processing time compared to procedural code but you have to weight the benefits obtained from OOP such as being able to add your own modules by just uploading them and running through some configuration steps in the AdminCP.

Its also going to reduce bugs in the system, rather than having the same code all over the places a single object that can be used to enforce sanity of data and make the entry in the database.

Also allows us to implement the same feature in multiple ways by just adding a factory method class. Say a base DB class and just having other DB classes extend that and overload their own requirements so say Postgresql support or SQLite would require just uploading a new file.

Most of the work to date has been a mixture of setting up the OOP core, new features and bug fixes. Bug fixes you can see in the bug tracker and the OOP i've more or less explained now. More new innovative features are in the prototype / testing / design stage, we wont mention these since they're something we want to keep quiet so we can keep the edge on the market.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Thanks for that update Scott. We should see some truly unique forums with this architecture, imagine vbulletin.org a month after this release! At least I`m going to put what I know into making something unique

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X