Who is worse monopoly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is worse monopoly?

I think that Microsoft are often called monopoly mainly because they are the most successful mainstream in Operating Systems.

But if Apple was as successful as Microsoft is today, it would be a lot worse monopoly, if you look at Apple website, they want to be everything at once, they sell computers and operating systems and they won't let anyone else sell their computers and they won't let anyone else make an operating systems for their computers.

Microsoft can't tell you what to do with your PC and they don't tell you who to buy your computer from.

Perhaps. Personally, I'd rather not see anyone with a monopoly. Keeps 'em honest.
    TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteRoy
      I think that Microsoft are often called monopoly mainly because they are the most successful mainstream in Operating Systems.

But if Apple was as successful as Microsoft is today, it would be a lot worse monopoly, if you look at Apple website, they want to be everything at once, they sell computers and operating systems and they won't let anyone else sell their computers and they won't let anyone else make an operating systems for their computers.

Microsoft can't tell you what to do with your PC and they don't tell you who to buy your computer from.
      Controlling exactly who can sell software and hardware for their products is why Apple maintains quality and efficiency in all of their merchandise.

And a monopoly is one who dominates the market so severely that no one can compete. I hardly think that Apple's development of computers and operating systems to go on their computers is a monopoly in the computer industry given they're the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
        Controlling exactly who can sell software and hardware for their products is why Apple maintains quality and efficiency in all of their merchandise.
        And also why their systems cost an arm and a leg. With no competing companies manufacturing components, there is nothing to drive down the cost of Apple products. With price comes quality, but I still beg to differ that my PC is several times more functional than anyones Apple being what the internet and software industry is today.
        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

And also why their systems cost an arm and a leg.
          http://www.apple.com/macmini/ <---- my next computer, more functional and cheaper than my current one

With no competing companies manufacturing components, there is nothing to drive down the cost of Apple products.
          With no competing distributions of Windows there is nothing to drive down the cost of Microsoft's OS.

I agree that if more people made Mac hardware, the prices would go down. but would the quality? Who knows, but since the whole selling point for their products is their quality, I doubt Apple would take that chance.

With price comes quality, but I still beg to differ that my PC is several times more functional than anyones Apple being what the internet and software industry is today.
          Their whole selling point is the quality. If that doesn't matter to you, then obviously they aren't targetting you.

Comment

Originally posted by cirisme
            http://www.apple.com/macmini/ <---- my next computer, more functional and cheaper than my current one

With no competing distributions of Windows there is nothing to drive down the cost of Microsoft's OS.

I agree that if more people made Mac hardware, the prices would go down. but would the quality? Who knows, but since the whole selling point for their products is their quality, I doubt Apple would take that chance.

Their whole selling point is the quality. If that doesn't matter to you, then obviously they aren't targetting you.
            The nice thing about buying a $500 PC is that when something breaks you can go buy a fix at Best Buy. Both have their plus sides. Mac considers themselves to have quality, but do you really need quality hardware to surf the Internet and capture movies (about all a Mac can do)? My PC is fully equiped with quality PC Parts (A Bit, ATI, Corsair, Seagate) and it still costs less.

Comment

The nice thing about buying a $500 PC is that when something breaks you can go buy a fix at Best Buy.
              The nice thing about a Dell or a Mac or just about every other major manufacturer is that I can tell them to fix it and not worry about it. Sorry, but I fix computers all day long and simply don't want to deal with it when I get home, which is why the cd burner in one of my PCs has been broken for several months now, I simply haven't had the time to mess with it.

(besides, when I was talking about quality earlier was mostly in software)

Mac considers themselves to have quality, but do you really need quality hardware to surf the Internet and capture movies (about all a Mac can do)?
              ROFL. All that a Mac can do? Everything I do on Windows I can do on Macs. Why? None of my software is Windows-only and my Windows box certainly doesn't just capture movies and surf the web. I use Photoshop and Word constantly, and guess what, they're available on Mac. The power of the Unix shell plus the ability to run every single program that I run now plus the low price point of the Mac mini makes it an excellent computer.

My PC is fully equiped with quality PC Parts (A Bit, ATI, Corsair, Seagate) and it still costs less.
              Quality does not end with hardware. Does your PC run Mac OS X? Until it does, it's like comparing Apples to Dells

Mac OS X is a beautiful OS, with the full power of Unix and the ability to run all my current programs. OSX is one of the competitive advantages Apple has over its competitors and if that's not your cup of tea, that doesn't make the os any less perfect for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by cirisme
                The nice thing about a Dell or a Mac or just about every other major manufacturer is that I can tell them to fix it and not worry about it. Sorry, but I fix computers all day long and simply don't want to deal with it when I get home, which is why the cd burner in one of my PCs has been broken for several months now, I simply haven't had the time to mess with it.

(besides, when I was talking about quality earlier was mostly in software)

ROFL. All that a Mac can do? Everything I do on Windows I can do on Macs. Why? None of my software is Windows-only and my Windows box certainly doesn't just capture movies and surf the web. I use Photoshop and Word constantly, and guess what, they're available on Mac. The power of the Unix shell plus the ability to run every single program that I run now plus the low price point of the Mac mini makes it an excellent computer.

Quality does not end with hardware. Does your PC run Mac OS X? Until it does, it's like comparing Apples to Dells

Mac OS X is a beautiful OS, with the full power of Unix and the ability to run all my current programs. OSX is one of the competitive advantages Apple has over its competitors and if that's not your cup of tea, that doesn't make the os any less perfect for the rest of us.
                I would love to run OSX, but I am a very poor college student on a budget that does not include $3000 for a Mac.

Comment

That StarWars Monopoly was crap. I like the original

Comment

We'd all have Macs now if Steve Jobs hadn't under estimated Bill Gates.
                    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

An eMac only costs about $800 now I think.

Also, I much prefer the way things went down. While Microsoft is vastly larger because anyone can make software for it, I enjoy the quality ensured by having a Mac because essentially all applications are made by Apple or those Apple has given express permission to.

Comment

Apple decided to not release all of their technology. Windows did, windows runs on x86, mac runs on PPC.

If Apple had decided to share like IBM, it would be a whole differnt story right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
                          The nice thing about buying a $500 PC is that when something breaks you can go buy a fix at Best Buy. Both have their plus sides. Mac considers themselves to have quality, but do you really need quality hardware to surf the Internet and capture movies (about all a Mac can do)? My PC is fully equiped with quality PC Parts (A Bit, ATI, Corsair, Seagate) and it still costs less.
                          Macs are insanely powerfull and too many people push them aside just because they appear to have "low" figures.

No one every thought a 1.8ghz processor could match a 2.8 guess what, they do, AMD v P4.

Apple has the same sort of concept. their ppc processors do more period. they do not need to have the same clock speeds that their x86 counter parts do.

a good friend of my family has been using mac since 82, and will never, ever, switch to a windows machine, he doesnt even allow me to turn my laptop on at his office. Instead he lets me use his ibook . Mac has a brand loyality that is strong than any of the linux or windows fans could ever hope for.

Comment

I agree with the topic poster.

Apple would be a much worse monopoly that microsoft ever could be. iLife packaged with the OS? Sounds like WMP to me.

And whoever mentioned that prices would go down if sales went up, thats stupid. When Apple are the only people making hardware for their platform, the prices will not go down when volumes go up.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS
                              We'd all have Macs now if Steve Jobs hadn't under estimated Bill Gates.
                              Or if Apple didn't sue other companies out of business that tried to manufacture a Mac clone

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X