This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Jelsoft Releases - Too Secretive

I know that the release of vBulletin 3 was a disaster by Jelsoft releasing too much information, but why not have a simple roadmap or product update every month, I like everything about vBulletin except this, being secretive is one thing, but its like you guys think we cant handle the truth.

I am proposing either a roadmap, newsletter, or annoucement, to keep track of new vbulletin features, as well as a very rough estimated release date.

I would rather this in Chit Chat, than Site Feedback, just because, I can get more comments in Chit Chat(usually)

I don't agree putting a timetable simply because it would only increase the number of bugs and security lapses. Doing such a thing may even hurt vB development overall with unnecessary stress and pressure.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by bfoot045
      I know that the release of vBulletin 3 was a disaster by Jelsoft releasing too much information, but why not have a simple roadmap or product update every month, I like everything about vBulletin except this, being secretive is one thing, but its like you guys think we cant handle the truth.

I am proposing either a roadmap, newsletter, or annoucement, to keep track of new vbulletin features, as well as a very rough estimated release date.

I would rather this in Chit Chat, than Site Feedback, just because, I can get more comments in Chit Chat(usually)
      Its not you guys, its everyone else.

Comment

Who exactly is "everyone else"?

Heck, even VALVe have weekly newsletters giving some kind of update even if its just "we're working on 2 new weapons for HL2DM!!!!!!!!!!!".

Comment

I would rather have Jelsoft reduce the amount of releases so that when it comes time to release, we get a larger change. I completely understand the security releases, but upgrading your entire board for a bug gets old, as we have seen recently. When a release includes a new feature to play with, it makes upgrading so much more exciting.

As for documentation, I think Jelsoft does it the best. The update announcements always provide more than enough information. Superb job there. A weekly news letter is just non-sense if you ask me.
          Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I also just witnessed a discussion between feldon28 and floris in irc, and it was interesting.

feldon28 came in asking a general question regarding if anyone had information about the upcoming functionality of the "OO" vbulletin features.

floris then started talking about release dates.

We're not asking for release dates! We're asking for more informationabout a product we're using. A roadmap, something!

Comment

LOL! vB3 had something similar where the developers had a list of features to add and started to tick them off one by one. However, some members got very impatient with it as they took the existence of a "roadmap" to mean "impending release". Jelsoft can't please everyone. The last time they had a "roadmap" it was a PR disaster with many members angry claiming Jelsoft delayed the vB3 release by 1-2 years. So this is why Jelsoft is not going to be saying that the next big version is coming out soon, or is under development etc in any detail, to avoid a similar problem. Mind you, I'm just guessing as to their intentions - they can speak for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin
                LOL! vB3 had something similar where the developers had a list of features to add and started to tick them off one by one. However, some members got very impatient with it as they took the existence of a "roadmap" to mean "impending release". Jelsoft can't please everyone. The last time they had a "roadmap" it was a PR disaster with many members angry claiming Jelsoft delayed the vB3 release by 1-2 years. So this is why Jelsoft is not going to be saying that the next big version is coming out soon, or is under development etc in any detail, to avoid a similar problem. Mind you, I'm just guessing as to their intentions - they can speak for themselves.
                I dont think we're asking for an exhausted roadmap, or feature list, or release date.

All i want to know is more details about the OOP nature of the next major release. Keeping your customers in the dark about such a "big thing" is just wrong.

Im not attacking anything. Just status updates, just some information regarding the future of their product. We dont need the source code.
                • Which components of vBulletin are now covered by OOP? (each thread? each user? each post?)
                • How far can we go? Can we extend these objects?
                • Is there a plugin system? (i havent seen anything official) How will a plugin use this system?
                Not the end of the world questions to answer - nothing that the competition cant already do for themselves, its not exactly original to implement any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by merk
                  Who exactly is "everyone else"?

Heck, even VALVe have weekly newsletters giving some kind of update even if its just "we're working on 2 new weapons for HL2DM!!!!!!!!!!!".
                  And everyone *****ed about Half-Life 2 being really late, too, because of that.

You should know that future releases are in production and you'll get them when you get them. Follow the bug tracker as a means of seeing how production is going.

I personally like that little information is released because that's about 30 less threads in Chit Chat complaining about a missed release date.

Comment

We aren't asking for release dates.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                      And everyone *****ed about Half-Life 2 being really late, too, because of that.

You should know that future releases are in production and you'll get them when you get them. Follow the bug tracker as a means of seeing how production is going.

I personally like that little information is released because that's about 30 less threads in Chit Chat complaining about a missed release date.
                      No need to talk in big point sizes. I can read just fine.

Im not asking for a release date.

Can people not see that?

Comment

Why tell a release date, just give some highlights on the next version, this could possible increase demand of the product (ie:want to have this incredable future product). It will grab the people's attention stuck between an Open Source Forum, IPB, or vBulletin. If they see vBulletin is having an incredable release soon, they are going to want to have this software.

Comment

[subscribes to thread]

Comment

very rough estimated release date.
                            not asking for a release date.
                            I'm officially confused! LOL

I think it's good that JelSoft does not release any information or dates on the up coming version, to keep competitors on edge. You can't just tell everyone your next move, knowing that others are waiting for you to make a move. That's just my opinion
                            So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Now, you removed the poster from those 2 quotes.

the original thread creator might be asking for one.

I (and others) dont.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X