BBS market share?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS market share?

Anyone know where I can find a 'market share' value of bulletin board systems (BBS) on the web? The closest I've found was: http://www.big-boards.com/statistics/ but is there anything even more accurate?

Thanks again guys!

I would think phpbb is the most used thoughout the net only because its open source. but i doubt you'll get any more stats like so

Comment

True; I agree and understand. It'd make more sense to compare vBulletin to paid solutions, and the same for free BBS as well. But I suppose big-boards.com is also good because it only shows the active forums; I'm sure there are thousands of 'dead' and unused phpBBs still hanging around

Comment

I've no idea how accurate this is but I see alot of people answering these types of questions by suggesting a search on google using the term

Powered by...

So you'd do

"powered by vbulletin"= 7,990,000 results

"Powered by phpBB" 6,050,000 results

"powered by invision 3,300,000

EDIT: These numbers seem to change (but the ranking stays the same) depending on which google you use (i.e. .com/.uk)

If there really are 7,990,00 vBulletin boards out there, Jelsoft have big wallets (Sadly I'm sure many of those will be counterfiet though)
        Last edited by Caiman; Sat 22 Jan '05, 7:55pm.
        Aye

Comment

Not to mention google will index the same site more than once.

Comment

Multiple results are possible, as well as those that steal the software and remove the copyright text (and those that can legaly remove it).

However, the same could be said for phpbb etc... users. I am sure some remove the text too.

All and all, a decent comparrison. Maybe not totally accurate, but that is ok.

Originally posted by Caiman
            I've no idea how accurate this is but I see alot of people answering these types of questions by suggesting a search on google using the term