X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PS2 is broken :(

Hello,

I guess I need some expert's help

My PS2 has problems with loading DVDs.. It starts loading but soon after I hear a terrible sound like something is scratching on the DVD and it won't stop until I get the message it can't read the disk. It is not scratching on the dvd.

Yesterday I opened the PS2 and I moved the thing that moves the laser. It worked for half an hour, after that it started again and GTA:SA got me the message it couldn't read the DVD.

Do you know more about that problem? My PS2 is one of the very first and I can't send it back to Sony (no invoice, too old, already opened).

For now I'll try to put some lube on that little bar where the laser slides on.
    That's the end of that!

Sounds like your laser or even the guide is going as well, might want to invest in buying a new ps2 (the thinner ones with the onboard network adaptor) or you could try replacing the eye guide. which requires opening and disassembling some stuff.

Comment

This happened to me, until I followed this guide:
      http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...ware/ps2.ars/1

Now it works perfectly.

My PS2 was one of the first too, but mine broke around 1-2 years ago.

Comment

It worked for a short while after I opened the case and moved the laser a bit

A new laser is quite expensive so I won't get one just to try out if it's the laser

assassingod: Thank you very much, Iam going to follow the instructions
        That's the end of that!

Comment

Mines still running awsomely, I have a first gen.

Comment

assassingod: After reading the instructions I think mine has different problem (and the 'guts' look also different *g*)

My PS2 plays quite nicely but all of a sudden it makes this strange noise and stops playing it. It seems to load the DVD but nothing happens.
            Sometimes it's that bad I can't even start playing because it makes that noise right from the start.
            Last edited by MrNase; Mon 17 Jan '05, 4:52am.
            That's the end of that!

Comment

The samething happened to me, i'm always playing PS2 if i'm not working on my site. I tried fixing it, it worked for a month or two then went back to doing the samething as you said. I just ended up getting a new one, the new slim PS2's are worth it.
              Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

Just got me a brand-new PS2.. New? Sure, it's the slim one

I'll try to sell my old one via eBAY..
                That's the end of that!

Comment

If it's the original PS2 Sony is forced to fix it free of charge.

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase
                    Do you know more about that problem? My PS2 is one of the very first and I can't send it back to Sony (no invoice, too old, already opened).
                    Sony will refurbish any PS2 for a cost. Here in California with Shipping it comes to $98.00. Would be cheaper to simply get a new one in the long run unless you already have the networking and hard drive accessories.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                      If it's the original PS2 Sony is forced to fix it free of charge.
                      Why is that? And you might want to inform Sony of that.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I think its out of recal date by now, there was an issue by design that sony will fix but i think it ended recently

Comment

Yes, thats true.. As I said I really don't know when I bought it. Must be really long ago and I can't send it back (for a free repair). I got the new one and that's the best step..
                          That's the end of that!

Comment

My friend sent in his just before Christmas and they fixed it.

Wayne: apparently there was a lawsuit against Sony involving the original PS2's quality--many would "fall apart" after a certain amount of time--and so Sony is now forced to fix all original PS2s free of charge. The only thing you need to pay for is shipping.

I plan on sending mine in soon, whenever I quit being lazy, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

I am going to send my old one in as well. It died last year, and the kids were not happy. We purchased a new one to replace it. However, the problem is on Sonys end, so they can deal with it IMHO.
                              Glenn

Originally posted by Andrew111888
                              My friend sent in his just before Christmas and they fixed it.

Wayne: apparently there was a lawsuit against Sony involving the original PS2's quality--many would "fall apart" after a certain amount of time--and so Sony is now forced to fix all original PS2s free of charge. The only thing you need to pay for is shipping.

I plan on sending mine in soon, whenever I quit being lazy, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X