Clear All

• MRGTB
    replied
    I was wondering that, it it was stand alone

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Bolton
    To be fair while I agree the Nexus thing is looking like an exciting new add-on for there board. Unless your selling a product - most people would have little or no use for it. But if a person is set on using a board for support to sell a product online. It is a real temptation to get an IPB and Nexus licence.

But that depends if your a seller. If you are it does seem to have just about every sales option you could wish for to run a serious online site selling wares.
    Actually, Nexus is an independant product, not an actuall add-on for IPB. I'm one of the testers for it.

It's actually a pretty useful product if you're a web host, or sell products (like forums skins, downloadavle software, etc.) and in the future (v1.1) it will be able to handle physical products as well (say, t-shirts and mugs). Overall, it's a very nice product.

It will support forum registration through Nexus as well, not just for IPB; you can write modules for it so people can be automatically registered in the forum such as vB if you code it right.

Leave a comment:

• cirisme
    replied
    Unless your selling a product - most people would have little or no use for it.
    The uses I'm thinking are for selling something. I was thinking I could set up a customer support forum, customer support/billing w/ Nexus, a company blog and a site with their CMS... that's pretty compelling.

Makes me wish I had a company right now just to play with the toys

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    To be fair while I agree the Nexus thing is looking like an exciting new add-on for there board. Unless your selling a product - most people would have little or no use for it. But if a person is set on using a board for support to sell a product online. It is a real temptation to get an IPB and Nexus licence.

But that depends if your a seller. If you are it does seem to have just about every sales option you could wish for to run a serious online site selling wares.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 6th Mar '06, 9:41pm.

Leave a comment:

• cirisme
    replied
    Originally posted by .Logan
    Yeah, out of all honesty vB is actually more expensive. And IPB's perpetual license actually offers lifetime upgrades and support for $30/year after the first year, which I find "better" and more commonly done to pay for support. I would rather have lifetime upgrades than lifetime support because after the first year you learn the software really well and are able to fix problems yourself.
    Me too.

(note to Zach: this expressing my personal opinion on what *I* prefer, not my perception as to a customer base.)

As far as the thread topic, I love the integration of everything. They have some very compelling features outside of the forum. This Nexus thing they're talking about looks particularly interesting. This is the first I've seen of it, but if it will fit my future needs I'll definitely be picking up a few licenses with a few add-ons. Kudos to IPS for putting together one heck of a great package, probably their greatest strength right now.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Yeah, out of all honesty vB is actually more expensive. And IPB's perpetual license actually offers lifetime upgrades and support for $30/year after the first year, which I find "better" and more commonly done to pay for support. I would rather have lifetime upgrades than lifetime support because after the first year you learn the software really well and are able to fix problems yourself.
    You'd be surpised that more people require support in compared to the people who want download access. Many people refuse to upgrade for whatever reason for ages but require support for their version for as long as they refuse to upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    If only, not all of us are php whiz kids unfortunately and never will be.

Leave a comment:

• .Logan
    replied
    Originally posted by Quillz
    IPB costs $69.95 for a yearly license and $185 for a perpetual license. Not really all that much more expensive than vB.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Bolton
    My biggest gripe about IPB and phpBB for that matter is the font size used. After using vB which uses a nice size font. If you then go and post on a phpBB or IPB board. The font size is way to tiny.

Its about the same size as were it says "Senior Member" below my name.
    The font size looks exactly the same to me... Maybe just slightly smaller. But it's not like that can't be changed...

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    My biggest gripe about IPB and phpBB for that matter is the font size used. After using vB which uses a nice size font. If you then go and post on a phpBB or IPB board. The font size is way to tiny.

Its about the same size as were it says "Senior Member" below my name.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    IPB costs $69.95 for a yearly license and $185 for a perpetual license. Not really all that much more expensive than vB.

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    I'm sure they're working on it though; it's under the "Under Consideration" forum. Sure, they don't really use it because they've mentioned some other system they use, but I see it as hope.

I don't see why they couldn't do something similar: Use postids when you add quotes, and then make them show when you click "Post Reply" or some other similar system.

Leave a comment:

• Chroder
    replied
    Yes, just JS AFAIK. It just enters some post ID's into a cookie which is read by PHP on a reply page.

I think one of the biggest reasons vB doesnt have it by default is that it would totally break the threaded/hybrid views. Though I don't use them at all, so I'd still want it

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    Originally posted by James Kojiro
    There is only and I mean ONLY one thing I like about IPB that vBulletin doesn't have. You can click multiple quote buttons and when you click new reply, all the quotes you selected are in the message box.

Not really worth giving up my vB for, but it's a good AJAX feature that should be integrated into vBulletin.
    Is it AJAX? I thought it was JavaScript.

Leave a comment:

• James Kojiro
    replied
    There is only and I mean ONLY one thing I like about IPB that vBulletin doesn't have. You can click multiple quote buttons and when you click new reply, all the quotes you selected are in the message box.

Not really worth giving up my vB for, but it's a good AJAX feature that should be integrated into vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X