No announcement yet.

What do u like from IPB and vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You do have good suggestions, it's just your way of going about suggesting them. They come off a little offensive at times, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogden2k
      You do have good suggestions, it's just your way of going about suggesting them. They come off a little offensive at times, that's all.
      Unfortunately she makes demands not suggestions. We listen to suggestions and are more than likely to implement the good ones. We gloss over demands and they probably won't get implemented.

Tone is everything in how you present something.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogden2k
        I don't understand why people that "love" IPB come here and try to crap on vB...
        I wish people would stop being such self-validating message board fanboys.

XM versus Sirius.
        Windows versus Linux.
        Xbox versus PlayStation 2.
        Ford trucks versus Chevrolet trucks.
        vBulletin versus Invision Power Board.

vBulletin isn't perfect. Pointing out a flaw or two shouldn't be interpreted by others as a personal attack. To their credit, the folks behind Jelsoft allow constructive criticism and suggestions; they don't ban mambers for posting them, and when they do answer it's usually a rational. well-thought out answer.

I appreciate brinnie's post; a lot of work went into it, and it I learned quite a bit. Just because brinnie don't glow over every feature of vBulletin, or ignores or make excuses for its flaws, doesn't mean Jelsoft or vBulletin users are getting attacked. Users shouldn't have to justify their purchases of vBulletin by acting like rabid fanboys. The fanboys and their "OMG WELL IF YOU THINK THE CONTROL PANEL IS TOO COMPLICATED THEN YOU'RE NOT INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO RUN A MESSAGE BOARD!!!1!!! BTW INVISION GALLERY SUXXORZ!!!1!1!one!" behavior are as bad as the corporate crowd who insist on calling vBulletin a "message board solution"; they probably call their cars "internal combustion powered personal mobility solutions", a vacuum cleaner a "suction-based floor carpet cleaning solution" and their house a "family shelter solution."

Fanboys and people that use corporate marketing-speak for everyday language. Sigh.

Rant off.
        Last edited by cyburbia; Wed 27th Jul '05, 5:33am.
        Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
        http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

I like two things from IPB
          1. You can multi quote posts
          2. their admin panel rocks
          My site
          www.coolservice.dk

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer81
            I like two things from IPB
            1. You can multi quote posts
            2. their admin panel rocks
            1. Already in "future add-ins" i nthe suggestion forum for 3.5, so it might (hopefully) come in 3.6.

2. I find their new admin control panel for 2.1 very hard to navigate. It seemed good at the time, but now that I have used it, I don't like it much at all.
            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Originally posted by brinnie
              POST ICONS
              Where's the Beef? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why these little images cannot be based per style. We'e not in Kansas anymore! Think outside the box!!!
              What I've done to get around this problem in the past is this: in the path for post icons, place some random string that would be unique and probably never used on the forum (I used "$monkeyssaythiswhentheyremad1234567890"). Then in the post icon manager, change the paths from being:

images/posticons/X.gif (or whatever) to:

$monkeyssaythiswhentheyremad1234567890/X.gif

Then go to:

Admin CP --> Styles & Templates --> Replacement Variables Manager

For each style, create a new replacement variable. Make the "Search for Text" be "$monkeyssaythiswhentheyremad1234567890" and put the replacement to be "/path/to/posticons/per/style".

Then whenever a post icon is inserted, the path will be:

... but it will be replaced with the following when the page is outputted:

/path/to/posticons/per/style/X.gif

Just a little tip.
              Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

I have to agree with alot that Brinnie said, now only if we can restate alot of that into a proper and thoughtful proposal that the vB team would be more than happy to read.

Comment

There are forums other than vBulletin?

=]

Comment

Originally posted by daemon
                    What I've done to get around this problem in the past is this: in the path for post icons, place some random string that would be unique and probably never used on the forum (I used "$monkeyssaythiswhentheyremad1234567890"). Then in the post icon manager, change the paths from being:

Then go to:

For each style, create a new replacement variable. Make the "Search for Text" be "$monkeyssaythiswhentheyremad1234567890" and put the replacement to be "/path/to/posticons/per/style".

Just a little tip.
                    Wow... That's sounding delicious. Is there any kind of catch?

Comment

• Originally posted by daemon

Then go to:

Just a little tip.
                      That is actually a very smart way to get around it.

Comment

• Originally posted by daemon

Then go to:

Just a little tip.
                        sounds like somthing I've been talking about for ages You should write up a howto

I actually don't like the tabbed style, I'm not a huge fan of tabs personally, I like the present ACP how it is, what I would like to see is tabs for differnt products hwoever.

Comment

• You know, this sounds a lot like all the complaining that was done while the development team remained quiet while they were steadily building up the feature base in 3.5. Everyone moaned about how they never tell us anything, vB is falling behind, all of that, then....

BAM. Developmental update of vBulletin 3.5.0 and a beta release within a month or so of that update, and suddenly, vBulletin is again on top and everyone's happy.

Why do I think that there will be a load of complaining that there's no additional products available to vBulletin, then a content management system, blog, and gallery will be fired out and suddenly everyone's happy again and of course we knew all along that vBulletin would do it and do it better than everyone.

Have a little faith .

Comment

• Originally posted by brinnie
                            Wow... That's sounding delicious. Is there any kind of catch?
                            Two: any instance of that string (including in posts!) will be replaced. That is why the more obscure the string the better as there's less chance of your member posting it and having it changed into an image path. And the second is that it breaks the post icon manager. See my tutorial for a fix for this (it's at the end of the thread).

Originally posted by Zachery
                            You should write up a howto
                            Sounds good to me; I'll do it now in fact .

See http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148346
                            Last edited by daemon; Tue 26th Jul '05, 9:20pm.
                            Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• Originally posted by brinnie
                              Had vbulletin.org given 2 shakes about design instead of being "all about the hack", things would be different. Overall, vBorg is a very unbalanced resource community and I get better skins right here from Zachery.
                              I may be a bit late in saying this, and I don't want to sound like an apologist or fanboy, but I don't think this is the fault of Jelsoft. The focus on hacks versus skins may just be a cultural difference between Invision Power Board and vBulletin users. If you look at the discussion here and at vBulletn.org, the vast majority is based on usability and functionality. That's not to say looks don't matter -- of course they do -- but for some reason, it seems like it's less of a priority among vBulletin users. I don't know what the folks at Jelsoft can do to change the collective culture of vBulletin users so they're more aesthetically oriented. Even then, how would it benefit Jelsoft?

That being said, I do think Jelsoft can put more work into the stock skin/theme. I certainly don't want to visit vbulletin.com and be greeted with cliche "looking upwards to the future" and "business handshake" stock photography and corporate rah-rah doublespeak on a page that appears to belong to a dot-com with a name that ends in "ient." With vBulletin, it's always been about what's underneath the hood that matters. Still, as with dating, homebuying, and car shopping, looks are vital in making an important first impression and hooking them in. Jelsoft could employ the services of a professional graphic designer -- not an X-TREEEEM!!! skinner who specializes in k-rad bling themes and signatures for gaming sites, but a real graphic design professional.
                              Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
                              http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

• [email protected] "k-rad bling themes and signatures for gaming sites,"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X